The Student Room Group
Reply 1
divinelord
Could someone please check if my answers to this question are right?
My working is done in blue, drawing in black and red question mark is where i need help. Please ignore the undone bits

(see attachment)

+rep for those who can help me out

Sorry for the large height of the image, you may have to zoom in

I think 'C' and 'D' in e(ii) are: cyclohex-1,3-diene, and cyclo-hex-1,4-diene.

Though I could be wrong, we don't do much cyclic chemistry on AQA.

For the polymer question, I'd just draw the cyclohexane ring, but with two bonds coming from carbons 1 and 2 that aren't bonded to anything.

I.e. Poly(ethene)

But again, we don't do much cyclic chemistry with AQA, so I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what the cavalry say :tongue:
Reply 2
Kinkerz
I think 'C' and 'D' in e(ii) are: cyclohex-1,3-diene, and cyclo-hex-1,4-diene.

Though I could be wrong, we don't do much cyclic chemistry on AQA.

For the polymer question, I'd just draw the cyclohexane ring, but with two bonds coming from carbons 1 and 2 that aren't bonded to anything.

I.e. Poly(ethene)

But again, we don't do much cyclic chemistry with AQA, so I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what the cavalry say :tongue:

Thanks for your help,
I also thought thats the answer for C and D but arent they the same, 3/4 depends on which way you go around the circle :P:
I know polymerization of linear compounds but am struggling with cyclic compounds in general.
What a bad past paper, i was getting high 80s/90s and this one (along with other evil bits) comes along and gives me a mid 70
Reply 3
divinelord
Thanks for your help,
I also thought thats the answer for C and D but arent they the same, 3/4 depends on which way you go around the circle :P:

No. They're not the same.
Cyclohex-1,3-diene:

Cyclohex-1,4-diene:

divinelord
I know polymerization of linear compounds but am struggling with cyclic compounds in general.

Just draw it the same way you would with a linear compound and see what the mark scheme says after :smile:

Here's a badly drawn example of how I'd do it:
Reply 4
Kinkerz
No. They're not the same.
Cyclohex-1,3-diene:

Cyclohex-1,4-diene:

Just draw it the same way you would with a linear compound and see what the mark scheme says after :smile:

Here's a badly drawn example of how I'd do it:

Hey, thanks for clearing the C & D doubt , i get it now
divinelord
Thanks for your help,
What a bad past paper, i was getting high 80s/90s and this one (along with other evil bits) comes along and gives me a mid 70

The suggestions given by Knickerz are correct.

The 1,3 and the 1,4 isomer are not the same. One has the double bonds conjugated and the other has them opposite each other.

The polymer is exactly the same (in principle) as any other addition polymer.
Reply 6
charco
The suggestions given by Knickerz are correct.

The 1,3 and the 1,4 isomer are not the same. One has the double bonds conjugated and the other has them opposite each other.

The polymer is exactly the same (in principle) as any other addition polymer.

Cheers, i get the 1-3 and 1-4 bit now, i am still not sure about the polymerization bit, you reckon its polycyclohexane?
Reply 7
divinelord
i am still not sure about the polymerization bit, you reckon its polycyclohexane?

Poly(cyclohexene) I would think...
Reply 8
Kinkerz
Poly(cyclohexene) I would think...

I really have no idea whether both or only one double bond will break
Searching google suggests polyhexene doesnt exist :p:
Reply 9
divinelord
I really have no idea whether both or only one double bond will break
Searching google suggests polyhexene doesnt exist :p:

I think the question just asks about cyclohexene, which implies that there's just the one double bond.

Don't know then. It's probably poly(cyclohexane), but I presumed it would be poly(cyclohexene) because poly(ethene) doesn't have any double bonds if you look at my previous post, but because it's C2H4. I thought the same principle would apply here.
Reply 10
Kinkerz
I think the question just asks about cyclohexene, which implies that there's just the one double bond.

Don't know then. It's probably poly(cyclohexane), but I presumed it would be poly(cyclohexene) because poly(ethene) doesn't have any double bonds if you look at my previous post, but because it's C2H4. I thought the same principle would apply here.

:banghead:
Course, what was going through my mind yesterday night?
divinelord

:banghead:
Course, what was going through my mind yesterday night?

Probably the same as when I wrote 1,3-hexacyclodiene instead of 1,3-cyclohexadiene !...

.... about a bottle of red wine and a couple of Marstons. :biggrin:
Reply 12
charco
Probably the same as when I wrote 1,3-hexacyclodiene instead of 1,3-cyclohexadiene !...

.... about a bottle of red wine and a couple of Marstons. :biggrin:

Lol, it was a funny night
Thanks for your help
+rep

Latest