The Student Room Group

Which A Levels shall I choose?

The economy is worsening by the day, I dont know too much, However I do know enough to understand that all industries are being affected.

The following are the options for A Levels I hope to study, I have made two set of choices based on colleges and courses

1st Choice

- Maths
- Economics
- ICT
- Accounting

2nd Choice

- Maths
- Computing
- ICT
- Accounting

---

Any Advice of the options I have chosen in reason with the economic situation, anything you recommend etc.?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Inst1nct
The economy is worsening by the day, I dont know too much, However I do know enough to understand that all industries are being affected.

The following are the options for A Levels I hope to study, I have made two set of choices based on colleges and courses

1st Choice

- Maths
- Economics
- ICT
- Accounting

2nd Choice

- Maths
- Computing
- ICT
- Accounting

---

Any Advice of the options I have chosen in reason with the economic situation, anything you recommend etc.?

ICT and accounting are 'weaker' A-levels.
I'd recommend maths and economics though.

Depending on what you hope to do with your A-levels, further maths could be very useful.

Good luck mate,
James
Reply 2
What do you want to study at University?
Reply 3
Never take more than 1 blacklisted A level.

Do history or something like that instead of accounting or ICT
Reply 4
I aim to progress towards a Computer Science Degree, What is the different between A Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics? Also which one would be more beneficial considering my degree choice?
Reply 5
Inst1nct
I aim to progress towards a Computer Science Degree, What is the different between A Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics? Also which one would be more beneficial considering my degree choice?

Further maths is basically an 'extension' to maths, with 6 extra, tougher, modules to take.
F maths (further maths) would be great for computing - far more useful than accounting. ICT and accounting are the so called "blacklisted" A-levels, try to avoid them if at all possible :smile:.
Reply 6
Ykljdsfdg
Never take more than 1 blacklisted A level.

Do history or something like that instead of accounting or ICT

Im really not good with History, Sciences :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Why are you so worried about fitting your A-levels around the economy?
Besides, do what you'd enjoy. However note that I.C.T. and Accounting A-levels aren't as well regarded.
the 1st choices would be much better! im doing maths and economics 2 hehe
Reply 9
Ok, So far I should go for:

- Maths
- Economics

What else?
if u did ict for gcse like me no point in doing it for a level reli...thers nt much difference
u shud do english lit and business studies like me woo
Reply 11
Inst1nct
Ok, So far I should go for:

- Maths
- Economics

What else?

further maths? physics? computer science?
Reply 12
Maths
Further Maths
Any Science
Any other Science/Psychology/History/Geography/English Lit/English Lang/A Language/Art...

Don't go for ICT or Computing or anything like that, unless it's your plan to go and do Computer Science at uni or something. Choose solid A-levels.
Reply 13
I got 2 C's for English in GCSE, I wasn't really a fan, However, are there any differences from the GCSE in comparison to the A Level
1st choice. 2nd choice would bore me.
Reply 15
If you want to do computer science, then in addition to maths and economics I would recommend further maths and another science (preferably physics). Further maths is more desirable than a science but if you have both, then you'll have a really good chance
Reply 16
Ok

I would now be prompted to go for the following:

- Maths
- Further Maths
- Psychology
- Economics
ICT isn't necessary for computer science, however if you want to go somwhere with high standards like oxford or Imperial College Further Maths will be a massive help... also dont restrict yourself too much in case you have a change of heart I started out this year looking at law but am now firmly entrenched in the computer science camp. Finally (you've probably realised this already but I've met people before who haven't) CS isn't anything like ICT in most senses, you have to be GOOD at maths to take it on, however you seem confident about your maths ability so this probably won't apply
i wouldnt do maths and further maths theres SO many tests but if ur REALLY gd at it then yehh
Reply 19
What about Computing A Level, I heard that's quite good and you learn some Java :smile:

Latest