The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ape Gone Insane
No. The unfair one was the use of language from passage 1.

And the scarred imagery one involving the sharp intake of breath was passage 2 involving the imagery question.

Both were A/E.

Yeah sorry my brain is fried after this morning - I just got the paper in front of me. The grotesquely unfair bit was a possible answer (I assume) to Q7 - How effective do you find the writer's use of language in the final paragraph (lines 69-74) in emphasising her opposition to placing restrictions on people's way of life?

So, ninjabread if you did grotesquely unfair for that q then I think you'll be fine :smile: it was 2 marks A/E
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Close Reading was absolutely fine, i'm sure i've done pretty well in it.

Writing - different story... 1st Essay, did Death of a Salesman and went for number 3... That was pretty good, I thought. 2nd Essay however... Couldn't find anything. I had a poem about a zoo which could not fit, so did my backup of A Time to Dance for number 5 about love. Utter crap
For the question 9c) I said "etched" like all the flight paths were drawn all over the map u nearly couldnt see the map beneath it - like when drawing the final lines u had to lean really heavy to make the line visable due to the number of lines
Reply 43
I said scarred, becuase the world was being painfully destroyed and it will never be the same again like a scar will never fully heal lol
the close reading was great, fantastic lots of understanding questions however im think i will fail because i barely started anything in questions on passage two and missed the 5 marks one as well due to lack of time.

the crtical essay paper was a gift almost every question fitted the texts we did in class that i actually got confused about what to pick
i did number 1 in drama section the one about an obssesive central charcter on a view from the bridge
and the last question in the poetry section the one about old age was perfect for "at grass"
CR was fine, although now I think I got the "grotesquely unfair" thing wrong... I did quote that, but I said it meant "obscene and outrageous" rather than something related to repugnance or horridness... aah, I did think of that at the time, too. I also missed out one question which is probably pretty shameful considering the additional time we had - the time was going to run out when I had just finished Q10, so I skipped 11 and wrote about half a page for Q12. Probably nothing too great though, blah. Oh well. Essays... 8 and a half pages for my first. 3 and a half for the second. RSI here I come. The second one was absolute crap though, I did the "betrayed love" question and wrote about... well, Frankenstein. Yeah, that turned out great. Crap. Crap. Triple crap.
Reply 46
what does RSI mean?
Reply 47
Pedrobear
CR was fine, although now I think I got the "grotesquely unfair" thing wrong... I did quote that, but I said it meant "obscene and outrageous" rather than something related to repugnance or horridness... aah, I did think of that at the time, too. I also missed out one question which is probably pretty shameful considering the additional time we had - the time was going to run out when I had just finished Q10, so I skipped 11 and wrote about half a page for Q12. Probably nothing too great though, blah. Oh well. Essays... 8 and a half pages for my first. 3 and a half for the second. RSI here I come. The second one was absolute crap though, I did the "betrayed love" question and wrote about... well, Frankenstein. Yeah, that turned out great. Crap. Crap. Triple crap.

REP LOL
Reply 48
Close Reading was alright, was liking the fact that there were many understanding questions...

Nearly wet myself when I saw Q9 in the essays paper. Was so glad I could write about 'A Hanging'. Moulded it and wrote a very good essay which I deliberately kept linking to the techniques of non-fiction to clarify this as it would be quite hard for the marker.

Wanted to write about theme for DOAs, so did Q4 on the conflicting values of Willy's American dream, Biff's American Dream (or lack of) and the real American dream.
Reply 49
Ape Gone Insane
Painfully destroyed? LOL.

Well, scars can be painful and world is destroyed so it worked in my head D:
Reply 50
kasiopc
I found the Close Reading was a LOT easier than I thought it would be :yes:

The Critical Essays were fine, aced the poetry one for Hotel Room 12th Floor. My prose on Consider The Lilies was OK, though it lurched around a bit...:s-smilie:

WHAT!! There was a hotel room question? That was the poem I was most confident with and had studied the most, I had to write about "waiting room" instead and it was one of the worst essays I have ever written.
Ugh, I actually have no idea how I've done.
Close reading seemed to go well.
Did the obsessive manner question for MacBeth - seemed fine.
Incident of mistrust for Consider the Lilies - uh oh. Felt like I ended up writing like a 5 year old, like my vocabulary had just shut down after the first 2 hours of writing, so by the time I got to this essay, it just feels like it was a great disappointment. I think I could have done a lot better, but 5th August will tell.
Hope everyone did well!
Reply 52
scotty01292
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Close Reading was absolutely fine, i'm sure i've done pretty well in it.

Writing - different story... 1st Essay, did Death of a Salesman and went for number 3... That was pretty good, I thought. 2nd Essay however... Couldn't find anything. I had a poem about a zoo which could not fit, so did my backup of A Time to Dance for number 5 about love. Utter crap

what's your zoo poem called?
Reply 53
I thought the close reading was fair. I don't seem to remember the "grotesquely unfair" question.

I chose Q3 for Death of A Salesman and
Q6 for Silas Marner

I am now unsure if Silas Marner is a real hero or not.
Also did both passages disagree with using aviation?
Reply 54
did anyone else do q2 for death of a salesman? :smile:
Did anyone else get bored at the end of the close reading paper and go through the passages answering the rhetorical questions in a desperate bid for some witty banter?
Or draw little aeroplanes next to the second passage, with captions of "wheeee..."?

Maybe just me..
truthandtragedy

Or draw little aeroplanes next to the second passage, with captions of "wheeee..."?

Maybe just me..

My planes had captions of "Die Earth!! Die!!!!" with loads of plane pollution floating about
:frown:
Reply 57
Didn't think Close Reading was too bad, and there was a question in the Critical essay for both of my texts, question 4 for Death of a Salesman and question 14 for At Marsden Bay =]
Only time will tell if I done well, I really hope the pass mark isn't put up!
Reply 58
I don't remember the grosquely unfair question, but I did mention it as word choice to one part of the question... Then I talked about snobs and high class lol!

Well I'm sure I've near enough failed! The close reading was fair, wasn't too hard, wasn't too easy :smile:

Couldn't do Q7 though and just rumaged any answer at the end! What did you prefer? I chose 1... We had a new invigilator, I liked him lol, he was pretty funny! :biggrin: He thought the CR paper was still 1.30long and was like 'right 2minutes to check now!!'

But I only remebered 1 war poem!!! and one other poem for the exam, so I was so annoyed about the 'compare 2 war poems' as it was so basic in that sense! So I had to do the one before it about emotion, I chose loss, which was so hard so I had to twist the question, I was lucky my war poem had a death and tried to work it lol! It was Ducle and Decorum Est, so I've probably failed it!

Drama was ok, I think the first 3 questions were suitable, but I chose 3, i think, about a scene where your view of a character changes... All Act 3 Scene 1 in Romeo and Juliet, and focused on Romeo.
javjamoll
Drama was ok, I think the first 3 questions were suitable, but I chose 3, i think, about a scene where your view of a character changes... All Act 3 Scene 1 in Romeo and Juliet, and focused on Romeo.

That was a godsend! Act 3 Scene 3 for Hamlet - perfect. Only thing I'm confident about really.

Latest

Trending

Trending