=====

So let our cubic equation be:

Unparseable latex formula:

\fontsize{2} Az^{3} + Bz^{2} + Cz + D

Firstly, D=-1 as when z=0, Q(z) = -1.

Then I was thinking that

\fontsize{2} z=1, e^{2i\pi/3}, e^{4i\pi/3}

are the roots so if we calculate the sum of these we know they must be equal to -B/A

Similarly work out the product of the roots, ie.

\fontsize{2} e^{4i\pi}

we know this must be equal to -1/A and thus

\fontsize{2} A = e^{-4i\pi}

. Now I don't know how I should progress?

You just want to write it factorised since you have the factors already by knowing the roots

\fontsize{4} Q(z) = A(z-1)(z-e^{2i\pi/3})(z-e^{4i\pi/3})

and since Q(z)=-1 when z=0, so A=1.
Reply 61
Bezza
You just want to write it factorised since you have the factors already by knowing the roots

\fontsize{4} Q(z) = A(z-1)(z-e^{2i\pi/3})(z-e^{4i\pi/3})

and since Q(z)=-1 when z=0, so A=1.

Ahhh...so much simpler!

EDIT: Hold on...me being v.stupid....I can't see how you get A=1. As if you set z=0, and Q=-1 you end up with

\fontsize{2} -1 = -A \times e^{2i\pi}

now I'm confused!!!!
Reply 62
Hoofbeat
Ahhh...so much simpler!

EDIT: Hold on...me being v.stupid....I can't see how you get A=1. As if you set z=0, and Q=-1 you end up with

\fontsize{2} -1 = -A \times e^{2i\pi}

now I'm confused!!!!

but e^(2pi i) =1
Reply 63
RichE
but e^(2pi i) =1

yeah, just use de moivre's - e^(2pi i) = cos(2pi) + isin(2pi) = 1
Reply 64
Willa
still no cookie shiny....I'm tres upset!

wtf?! :mad:
Reply 65
Bezza
yeah, just use de moivre's - e^(2pi i) = cos(2pi) + isin(2pi) = 1

of course! thanks :smile:
Reply 66
shiny
wtf?! :mad:

if it aint there tomorrow i will have to presume they put it in the wrong pigeon hole and some evil person ate it!
Reply 67
Willa
if it aint there tomorrow i will have to presume they put it in the wrong pigeon hole and some evil person ate it!

Or that Shiny never sent it :p:
Reply 68
Willa

I put £3 in there too! :mad:
Reply 69
shiny
I put £3 in there too! :mad:

I'm sure it'll be there tomorrow...it has to be!
Reply 70
£3 :eek: Expensive pints in cambridge! Willa's going to miss out on the whole ben's cookies experience - you need to have it warm so the chocolate all melts and you forgot to pick up a napkin so have chocolate all over your face :cool:
Reply 71
Bezza
£3 :eek: Expensive pints in cambridge! Willa's going to miss out on the whole ben's cookies experience - you need to have it warm so the chocolate all melts and you forgot to pick up a napkin so have chocolate all over your face :cool:

well he decided that a pint would cost £3. I said it would cost me £1.20 but he still sent me £3, so I was gonna buy the pint and something else with the change and send that back to him :p:
Reply 72
IT CAME. IT CAME. The gift from the dark side came! Yay for shiny, you're the bestest!

Mmm I think I should pop it in the oven for a few mins so I can eat it warm.....mmmmmm cookie!

edit: it's warming in the oven as we speak. Gonna eat it on my way to my compsci lecture. Then I'll be able to judge whether or not it beat's Millies cookies! (I'll keep in mind it's a few days old so wont be as good as when fresh)
Reply 73
I've eaten my cookie now. I have to say, ben's cookies are very very good. It wasnt as "more-ish" as millies cookies are for me (that might be a good thing though cos it saves money) but it definitely had a distinct "homemade" like taste to it, which millies seems to lack. I'd say they're both at least equally as good as each other.
Reply 74
Willa
I've eaten my cookie now. I have to say, ben's cookies are very very good. It wasnt as "more-ish" as millies cookies are for me (that might be a good thing though cos it saves money) but it definitely had a distinct "homemade" like taste to it, which millies seems to lack. I'd say they're both at least equally as good as each other.

Dude get over your Oxford-hating and the true flavour will come through!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 75
~Raphael~
Dude get over your Oxford-hating and the true flavour will come through!!!! :biggrin:

no I'm being objective about this, I don't think you have the right to say I'm not being when you have yet to try millies gourmet chocolate cookie. It's definitely at least as nice. But I agree that there's hardly anything between the two, both taste v yummy!
Reply 76
Willa
no I'm being objective about this, I don't think you have the right to say I'm not being when you have yet to try millies gourmet chocolate cookie. It's definitely at least as nice. But I agree that there's hardly anything between the two, both taste v yummy!

I have tried Millie's Cookies, which is why I was able to make my comment i nthe first place ages ago...Millie's is a crappy chain all over the country in every shopping centre! They're nice, but they have an artificial flavour to them...Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think it's worth more than yours :p:
Reply 77
~Raphael~
I have tried Millie's Cookies, which is why I was able to make my comment i nthe first place ages ago...Millie's is a crappy chain all over the country in every shopping centre! They're nice, but they have an artificial flavour to them...Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think it's worth more than yours :p:

Yeah! In Oxford we have both and Ben's Cookies DEFINITELY outweight Millie's any day!!!
Reply 78
Hoofbeat
Yeah! In Oxford we have both and Ben's Cookies DEFINITELY outweight Millie's any day!!!

does all this cookie talk mean you've sorted all your revising? :wink:

or are cookies the new smart drug? :rolleyes:

and why isn't cookietasticness in the Guardian league tables? :biggrin:
Reply 79
RichE
does all this cookie talk mean you've sorted all your revising? :wink:

or are cookies the new smart drug? :rolleyes:

and why isn't cookietasticness in the Guardian league tables? :biggrin:

well the cookie kept me awake longer than normal in my compsci lecture, so it obviously did something!

Latest

Trending

Trending