The Student Room Group

Chemistry M09 IB SL/HL

Scroll to see replies

do you guys remember this question?

900cm3 of water is added to 100cm3 of NaOH,whose pH is 12.

What is the pH of the solution?
I chose 13 after a long calculation involving -log(x) or something

However, my friend easily says that since pH of water is 7, the answer is obviously between 12 and 7 and there was only one option, which was 11.

Who is right? Is the answner 11 or 13?
proudofmyself

However, my friend easily says that since pH of water is 7, the answer is obviously between 12 and 7 and there was only one option, which was 11.

Well, how would the pH go up? You are diluting the NaOH. Therefore, the pH will decrease, and be closer to neutral.
Reply 582
Rainfaery
Well, how would the pH go up? You are diluting the NaOH. Therefore, the pH will decrease, and be closer to neutral.

I answered 11.
Reply 583
The pH would be 11 because the pOH increases by 1 as the concentration of OH- ions decreased 10fold.

If pOH increases by 1, pH decreases by 1.

Basically, if you think about it, if you dilute the base it is going to be a weaker base, so its pH would decrease.
Reply 584
excarnifico
oxidation: CH3CH2OH --> CH3CHO + 2e-
reduction: (Cr2O7)2- + 14H+ + 6e- --> 2Cr3+ + 7H2O
..i think.

Ah i just wrote Cr6+ + 3e- --> Cr3+ for the reduction, i assumed the rest were spectator ions

as for the oxidation; it said the final product was an acid hence it can't be an aldehyde... it would have to be CH3C00H ; which means an additional oxygen will have to be part of the equation... also there is one less hydrogen (or 2 in the aldehyde) so that would also have to feature....

@liverpool: yea..and all for 2 marks :eek:
Reply 585
RNQ
The pH would be 11 because the pOH increases by 1 as the concentration of OH- ions decreased 10fold.

If pOH increases by 1, pH decreases by 1.

Basically, if you think about it, if you dilute the base it is going to be a weaker base, so its pH would decrease.

If you're using the logic common-sense thing that works,

however if you use the -log[H+] rule; you've just decreased the concentration of H+ 10 fold (like if you had diluted an acid) in which case the answer would be 13.... thats the problem with -log thing, since it means a HIGHLY diluted acid could have a pH of lets say, 100 :confused: :confused:

i.e: HCl has a pH of 3, it is diluted by factor 10^9; so pH increases by 9, suddenly it is a strong base of pH 12 :eek:

Still... i assume IB would expect you to use logic, so 11 must be the correct answer
Reply 586
radam

however if you use the -log[H+] rule; you've just decreased the concentration of H+ 10 fold (like if you had diluted an acid) in which case the answer would be 13.... thats the problem with -log thing, since it means a HIGHLY diluted acid could have a pH of lets say, 100 :confused: :confused:

i.e: HCl has a pH of 3, it is diluted by factor 10^9; so pH increases by 9, suddenly it is a strong base of pH 12 :eek:

Still... i assume IB would expect you to use logic, so 11 must be the correct answer

No, the concentration of OH- decreased 10fold, so pOH would rise from 2 to 3. So pH decreases from 12 to 11.

Why overcomplicate things? :p:
Reply 587
Thoughts on P3 TZ1 meds and biochem?
Reply 588
SL Paper 2 Timezone 2 Question 7 (Organic long question)

The mechanism... was it SN1, or SN2.... coz from this thread i've got a horrible feeling i showed the SN2 mechanism and misread the question which said SN1.... please tell me i didn't.... it was a perfect SN2 mechanism as well...
radam

Your logic fails because H+ and OH- are always in equilibrium with water. Oh and it's definitely 11. Now tell me, what's the answer to the HIn indicator question?
Reply 590
Dan_G

The mechanism... was it SN1, or SN2.... coz from this thread i've got a horrible feeling i showed the SN2 mechanism and misread the question which said SN1.... please tell me i didn't.... it was a perfect SN2 mechanism as well...

While i didn't answer Q7 (i answered the Kc one) , i seem to remember a question being there on SN2 ; besides most of the posts so far have been on the HL paper, so dw and second guess yourself ... its over, be happy :woo:
Reply 591
AnonymousPenguin
Your logic fails because H+ and OH- are always in equilibrium with water. Oh and it's definitely 11. Now tell me, what's the answer to the HIn indicator question?

In which case diluting would have no effect at all since its already in equilibrium, and you're adding the same amount of H+ as OH- .... unless ... ah i'm too sleepy to think at the moment :p:

Sadly I do SL so can't help you with the HIn one; as though much of the questions were the same we didn't get that one.

RNQ
No, the concentration of OH- decreased 10fold, so pOH would rise from 2 to 3. So pH decreases from 12 to 11.

Why overcomplicate things? :p:

Hmm that's an interesting way to look at it... and would save loads of time in the exam room! Haha i think i'll just accept that its 11.
Reply 592
radam

Yes, I had the same thoughts at first. But I think that the point is that water isn't just a solvent, its also adding H+ and OH- in 1:1 ratio. Therefore the amount of H+ doesn't stay the same and pH shifts towards neutral.

For the indicator I think it went blue on adding base. You could directly exclude the acid, because 2 of the options were adding strong/weak acid having the same effect, so if one of the options was true, the other would have to be true too. And the 3rd option seemed to be completely irrelevant.
EDIT: I also thought about it in terms of LeChatelier's, so the answer should be correct from the point of chemistry too.

EDIT2: to the pH: although that should mean that [OH] also shouldn't decrease exactly 10 times IMO, but anyway I think this explanation seems to be quite acceptable.
EDIT3: well, now I realise difference between [OH] in water and NaOH is in orders of magnitude, so yes, [OH] will decrease 10x pretty exactly, I guess.
proudofmyself

You're diluting by tenfold, hence 11 by inspection.
Chazaa
Thoughts on P3 TZ1 meds and biochem?

Didn't do biochem but heard it was easy. The first two questions weren't really even "chem"... super easy for those who did bio, maybe not so easy for others?
Reply 595
Im SL and did Human biochem and food chem, and they were both pretty okay! I'm hoping for a 6 overall as P2 didn't go as well as I'd please.
Reply 596
Dan_G

it was sn2. and the question was in section b number 6.
Reply 597
Pzazz212
it was sn2. and the question was in section b number 6.

Thank God for that....
Reply 598
Anyone share some more IB papers?
Hello! my name is Ana and I take IB HL chemistry. I moved in the middle of the IB which messed with all my subjects but in specific with chemistry. If anyone out there is willing to help me out, i would honestly appreciate if they contacted me! My exams are in a little under two weeks and I know i came very late but I just found this site and i could REALLY use the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending