The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hylean
The way to type all vowels with the acute accent is to type "alt gr + the vowel".

Conversely, change your keyboard to do a different language and learn its layout so you can type using it. My keyboard is constantly set to the Icelandic setting. It allows me a wide range of accents.

Yeah, I put mine in Russian and it's a French keyboard so I can have 3 languages rather than 2 :p:
Reply 21
Anatheme
Yeah, I put mine in Russian and it's a French keyboard so I can have 3 languages rather than 2 :p:

Perhaps, but I don't need the cyrillic alphabet. :p:
Reply 22
Hylean
Perhaps, but I don't need the cyrillic alphabet. :p:

Well, I don't need the Icelandic alphabet :colonhash: (the singer tonight was hot, though, but I didn't like the song)
Reply 23
Anatheme
Well, I don't need the Icelandic alphabet :colonhash: (the singer tonight was hot, though, but I didn't like the song)

Didn't watch it. Was revising.

Course you need the Icelandic alphabet. Everyone needs it. It should be the main language of the world.

To quote: "he who can decline correctly, can think correctly. He who can think correctly can do anything."
Reply 24
Hylean
Didn't watch it. Was revising.

Course you need the Icelandic alphabet. Everyone needs it. It should be the main language of the world.

To quote: "he who can decline correctly, can think correctly. He who can think correctly can do anything."

Decline? Declensions? Cases? Nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, instrumental, prepositional?
Reply 25
Anatheme
Decline? Declensions? Cases? Nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, instrumental, prepositional?

Well, as he was Icelandic, he'd've only been thinking about the nominative, accusative, dative and genitive cases.

If he'd've been Finnish, well, he would've been thinking of 15 different cases, but we don't want to talk about that.
Reply 26
Hylean
Well, as he was Icelandic, he'd've only been thinking about the nominative, accusative, dative and genitive cases.

If he'd've been Finnish, well, he would've been thinking of 15 different cases, but we don't want to talk about that.

These 15 cases are the common ones, apparently you can find up to 75 cases (surely there's one that mean to go out of the zoo, take the plane and go to the toilets in Macedonia, but oh well). Russian has 6 cases, and I did Latin and Greek, before, so I do not need new silly characters, I have enough of them :p:
Reply 27
Anatheme
These 15 cases are the common ones, apparently you can find up to 75 cases (surely there's one that mean to go out of the zoo, take the plane and go to the toilets in Macedonia, but oh well). Russian has 6 cases, and I did Latin and Greek, before, so I do not need new silly characters, I have enough of them :p:

I'd like to see your references for them 75 cases in Finnish. :p: Especially as I know they don't use most of the 15 in speech anyway.

Seriously, though, who really needs a language so specific that a sentence can change from meaning "I put the tomato in the fridge" to "I **** the tomato in the fridge" just because the wrong case was used.
Reply 28
Hylean
I'd like to see your references for them 75 cases in Finnish. :p: Especially as I know they don't use most of the 15 in speech anyway.

Seriously, though, who really needs a language so specific that a sentence can change from meaning "I put the tomato in the fridge" to "I **** the tomato in the fridge" just because the wrong case was used.

The source is Wikipédia, so I'm not sure you can read it, and I know that you can't always trust them, however, they do say it's completely ridiculous:

Wikipédia
Ces règles, relativement peu nombreuses au total, font sentir leur effet simultanément, et peuvent déboucher sur des « modèles » de déclinaisons qui semblent différents. Certains vont ainsi jusqu'à identifier 75 déclinaisons en finnois, ce qui est parfaitement abusif.

I hate the Russian genitive plural. I hate it sooo much.
Anatheme

You get used to it...eventually. I almost like it now.
Reply 30
thatwhichiam
You get used to it...eventually. I almost like it now.

I know, I don't have massive problems with it, I just don't like it. I really like the instrumental, though, especially for feminine things.
Anatheme
I know, I don't have massive problems with it, I just don't like it. I really like the instrumental, though, especially for feminine things.

I prefer the masculine and neuter instrumental. Oh blooming heck, it's come to this, I'm discussing which Russian case I like best...
Reply 32
shorty.loves.angels
Haha yeh ok that's fair enough. ok so from now... en francais?

Oh wait, first, how do you type accents when you don't have num lock or the number keys on the right hand side of your keypad???

http://www.typeit.org/
use alt gr and the vowel.

á é í ó ú :p:

y prefiero que hablemos en espanol! ni puta idea como poner tilde...
Reply 34
Anatheme
The source is Wikipédia, so I'm not sure you can read it, and I know that you can't always trust them, however, they do say it's completely ridiculous:

Surely that doesn't mean there are 75 cases, but 75 declension patterns?
Reply 35
Hylean
Surely that doesn't mean there are 75 cases, but 75 declension patterns?

Indeed, my bad :holmes:
Reply 36
Anatheme
Indeed, my bad :holmes:

Hmmm, I think Icelandic has more patterns than that, but I need to check that out and the net isn't helping me. I'll ask my lecturer tomorrow and let you know.
Reply 37
Yay!! Another languages thread!!

KayleeLand
use alt gr and the vowel.

á é í ó ú :p:

y prefiero que hablemos en espanol! ni puta idea como poner tilde...

Puedo hablar en espanol contigo! Necesito practicar!

Mais, j'aime mieux parler en francais :p:
Reply 38
ooooh BEST thread of 09

I am going to do Japanese next year at Sheffield :ciao:

I am currently doing French and Dutch at A level and in the summer I would like to start learning German, a scandinavian language, possibly Swedish, and MAYBE mandarin chinese too :cool:
Reply 39
Tasha-x
Yay!! Another languages thread!!

Puedo hablar en espanol contigo! Necesito practicar!

Mais, j'aime mieux parler en francais :p:

Je préfère le français à l'espagnol. En fait, j'aime pas l'espagnol, donc bon…
Kim, happy to see you in here :top2:

Latest

Trending

Trending