The Student Room Group

Good Reads for Psychology

I know there is a 'Good books to buy before studying Psychology at Uni?' thread a few threads down but I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread and it didn't get to far. I'm looking for recommendations which you have for psychology, not necessarily for Uni (although if you've read a good book whilst ther, please share it!) but just in general. All I've got so far is:

Richard Bentall-
Madness Explained: Psychosis and Human Nature

So anything else please? Thanks.
It will take you a few reads to digest Bentall's book. So much in there.

Users and Abusers of Psychiatry: A Critical Look at Psychiatric Practice by Lucy Johnstone is a good read.
Reply 2
apel444
I liked:
Susan Greenfield : The Human Brain
Lauren Slater : Opening Skinners Box
Oliver Sacks : The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Not really text books, but all good books. :gthumb:

Oo I have those two. :smile: I think the best way to find good psychology books is to go on Amazon and have a search around. There's so many. Everytime I go on I find more to add to my wish list thing.

Are there any particular areas you'd like to read about?
Definetly read Bentall's book a few times and do not miss out on Users and Abusers of Psychiatry. Both written by very insightful clinical psychologists.
Reply 4
Right, thanks for the reading suggestions!
I only really have one book i would highly recommend and its the complete psychology book, this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Psychology-David-J-Messer/dp/034081568X

Its really good! I know its around £25 but its really thick. I'm in my second year now and its helped me with sooo many modules in both years! Its got sections of nearly all modules that you do developmental/Cognitive/research methods etc...a good starter book i'd say :smile:
GodspeedGehenna
Users and Abusers of Psychiatry: A Critical Look at Psychiatric Practice by Lucy Johnstone is a good read.

Hmm, from the Amazon excerpt I am suspicious. Any book that claims "Psychiatry = bad, Psychotherapy = good' or vice versa
fails to take into account the individual differences in disorders (usually whilst claiming not to, ironically). Now here is an excellent book, which looks at the history of the concept of depression and its treatment, the flaws in the clinical definition, and an evolutionary explanation for sadness and depression (for they are two different things!):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loss-Sadness-psychiatry-transformed-depressive/dp/0195313046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243158107&sr=8-1
LatinMachine
Now here is an excellent book, which looks at the history of the concept of depression and its treatment, the flaws in the clinical definition, and an evolutionary explanation for sadness and depression (for they are two different things!):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loss-Sadness-psychiatry-transformed-depressive/dp/0195313046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243158107&sr=8-1

That's on my reading list for after exams :yep:
GodspeedGehenna
That's on my reading list for after exams :yep:

Can I ask what third year options you've taken? I'm curious!
LatinMachine
Can I ask what third year options you've taken? I'm curious!

I'm actually only just finishing my first year :giggle: But in my third, I'll be doing:

Human Neuropsychology
Advanced Cognitive Neuroscience
Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
Adult Psychological Problems
Perception, Movement and Developmental Disorders
Then the obvious research project.

Latest