The Student Room Group

Can I still get into UNIVERSITY without MATHS GCSE C???

Part of my condition is to obtain a C at GCSE level.

Im currently sitting my exams and dont think I'll get it. Out of interest, say I get a D instead. Is there any way I could talk to one of the courseleaders at the university I was accepted into (considering I am academically achieving way more than I need to get in off my college college)?

I have a level 2 in key skills (they said they'll accept level 3 but not level 2) and when I told them I didnt have a C they asked me what grade I had instead. This leads me to believe had I previously got say...a D grade at GCSE I might have been accepted.

Pretty annoying to think I may not get onto my business course because Im having difficulty with shape enlargement and bisecting angles :rolleyes:

So...does anyone have any CONSTRUCTIVE advice for me if I dont get the C I need...any chance of still getting in?

Appreciated...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes it's a load of bull. I got a D and never attempted to resit - got two offers from cardiff alone,1 from bath, bristol and nottingham.
Reply 2
i think some unis might take with with less than a C. such as poly techs. But if you get less than a C you can retake maths GCSE at collage
Reply 3
ofcourseee
Reply 4
Do GCSE levels matter when applying to uni's?
I thought it was only A Levels
:s:
Reply 5
What kind of University would accept someone who fails in Math? Would it be depending on what course or degree you're studying? I know a few who accept a small amount of UCAS points for entry but having no GCSE Math/English? That's news to me
Reply 6
Im starting University in October 2009.

Part of my CONDITION was to get Maths GCSE C.

So it was in my offer. However, I already have over the 3 GCSE's they want (just not 1 in Maths), I also have Key Skills level 2 and I've basically got A/A/C when they are asking for CCC or ACC (not sure which one).
Reply 7
Meus
What kind of University would accept someone who fails in Math? Would it be depending on what course or degree you're studying? I know a few who accept a small amount of UCAS points for entry but having no GCSE Math/English? That's news to me

Cardiff, Nottingham, Bristol and Bath :smile:
Reply 8
That depends on the course you want to study and what university you are looking to go to aswel!
Check the prospectuses and stuff =]
Reply 9
Yep. I dont have a maths GCSE and I got offers from Royal Holloway, UEA, Queen Mary and Sussex. It will depend on your choice of degree though, I imagine.
Reply 10
Natalie_xx

Yeah you're right. Most of the times, GCSE's don't really matter. But then again, it depends on the specific course and the specific uni..
It'll say in their prospectus they want a c but if your AS levels are good enough they'll give you an offer.
Reply 12
Antonia87
Yep. I dont have a maths GCSE and I got offers from Royal Holloway, UEA, Queen Mary and Sussex. It will depend on your choice of degree though, I imagine.

No listen I was accepted to all my uni's but they all made obtaining a C as part of my condition. So basically Im asking if I dont meet this part of my conditional offer...will I lose my place?

Bearing in mind Im still going to be meeting the condition from my BUSINESS course regarding the amount of UCAS points for my business degree course...
Reply 13
Natalie_xx

Your GCSE Maths and English Language grades are normally considered.
Katieloula
It'll say in their prospectus they want a c but if your AS levels are good enough they'll give you an offer.

no not always, it depends on what course you're going for. If you were applying to economics with a C in maths for, lets say bath for example since you got an offer from there with a C and i got an offer from there for economics, they wouldn't let you in considering they ask for an A* at maths GCSE or straight As at As level and A at GCSE.
Billy_69
No listen I was accepted to all my uni's but they all made obtaining a C as part of my condition. So basically Im asking if I dont meet this part of my conditional offer...will I lose my place?

Bearing in mind Im still going to be meeting the condition from my BUSINESS course regarding the amount of UCAS points for my business degree course...

Well, yeah, if it's your condition :s-smilie:
Natalie_xx

GCSEs matter to some extent. Especially the higher universities who need to seperate the candidates, who would all have around the same A-level grades.
Also, many universities require C in English Language and Maths as a minimum
Billy_69
Part of my condition is to obtain a C at GCSE level.

Im currently sitting my exams and dont think I'll get it. Out of interest, say I get a D instead. Is there any way I could talk to one of the courseleaders at the university I was accepted into (considering I am academically achieving way more than I need to get in off my college college)?

I have a level 2 in key skills (they said they'll accept level 3 but not level 2) and when I told them I didnt have a C they asked me what grade I had instead. This leads me to believe had I previously got say...a D grade at GCSE I might have been accepted.

Pretty annoying to think I may not get onto my business course because Im having difficulty with shape enlargement and bisecting angles :rolleyes:

So...does anyone have any CONSTRUCTIVE advice for me if I dont get the C I need...any chance of still getting in?

Appreciated...

Where are you applying? I'm pretty sure some unis accept applicants without Maths.
Reply 18
I got offers from Liverpool and Nottingham with NO GCSE Maths, so I think you'll be ok. (There were extenuating circumstances however).
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
no not always, it depends on what course you're going for. If you were applying to economics with a C in maths for, lets say bath for example since you got an offer from there with a C and i got an offer from there for economics, they wouldn't let you in considering they ask for an A* at maths GCSE or straight As at As level and A at GCSE.

yeah this is true, obv if you're doing a subject with maths involved you're gna need it! I would of that's common sense lol, I got offers for social policy and sociology, social policy on its own, criminology and journalism and journalism media, and social policy. :smile:But it did say in the prospectus on those subject pages : C minmum at gcse maths ( I had two A*s at GCSE english and a few things published so thats gna count in favour probs.)

Latest

Trending

Trending