The Student Room Group

Need advise - disciplinary hearing for Alcohol use at work

Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding a personal matter at work. After an investigatory meeting, the recommendations today stated that I will be going through disciplinary procedures. Here is what happened briefly: I work in the NHS, on a 12 months contract:

The incident (2 months ago):
I had been in my job for 2 months. I worked one day whilst under the influence of 1/2 a bottle of wine, but not in contact with any patients, I was in my office and attended a meeting with staff, that is all I did that day. No one noticed I was tipsy. I drank at lunch time and then realised that alcohol may become an addiction (as previously has been, described below). So when my boss came into work about 1pm that day, I immediately spoke to him and told him id drunk alcohol at work. He then told me he had to take me home, and disciplinary investigations would start.

Last year:
I was diagnosed with major depression last year (at present still taking anti-depressants, but feel like I am recovering, although not recovered). My boss knew about this, but employed me anyway and supported me. I had an alcohol addiction in my previous job last year, and they were going to put me through disciplinary, but I resigned before this.

At present:
I am absolutely scared about losing my job, as it could lead to a dismissal. I found out today, that now I am officially under disciplinary procedures, and waiting for my hearing date. This is for gross misconduct, under influence of alcohol that day and for not being able to do my workly duties that day. [I did tell the commisionning manager, that this in over-exaggeration of the incident, but I do know it is serious, although feel its all grown out of porportion]. Since the incident, I have not touched alcohol and worked to the best of my ability and been praised, unfortunately that does not count. Also immediately after the incident, I have been seeing a counsellor, but that appears to not have worked on my side either].

What I want to know is, what are my rights? In case worse comes to worse, and I get a dismissal, is there any chance this could be an unfair case against me? I have remorsed it, as well as, helped myself, and producing good pieces of work, I have depression - do I have any disability rights?

Please advise. Thanks.
Reply 1
i dk
but why did you tell your boss you had drank if no one had even noticed and it wasnt as if you were obviously drunk.

i dont think youll be dismissed though tbf
cos if i hadnt, it may have become an addiction

Latest

Trending

Trending