The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Think It's likely to be SHM, as there isn't much on this years stuff that can be easily tested.

Most of them have been, although last years was on electricity. Just been looking over the past papers, It's usually question one that I have most trouble with really, can't get my head around most of the experiments!
Reply 2
I hate electricity. I hope its SHM. I think the planning will be the hardest. When writing the planning on the exam, do you write in bullet points under the title (measurements etc) or do you write in full sentences in paragraphs. Or even sentences under a title like measurements or difficulities.
i think its going to be on SHM. as all the practicals that we have done at school have been on this. i like it better than electricity although some of the experiments can be quite fiddly.
hmmm, do u guys have any more ideas about what could be asked?
Reply 5
just remember that its actually quite easy to get full marks for the plan as the maximum mark you can get is 8, out of a possible 16 or so.
and don't forget to state the obvious, eg. measure distance x with a ruler ect...
Reply 6
Benamin
just remember that its actually quite easy to get full marks for the plan as the maximum mark you can get is 8, out of a possible 16 or so.
and don't forget to state the obvious, eg. measure distance x with a ruler ect...

Its out of a possible 10, not 16. I find it the hardest bit :frown:
It's most likely to be SHM as the AS practical was electricity, and they like to balance it as much as possible, question 1 on AS was about convection current turning a small fan, produced from a lamp in a circuit, so i think that question 1 will have something to do with magnetism maybe, who knows!

As for revision, we've done all the practicals in school, and ive been looking over past paper question 1s, putting what i think then checking the mark schemes, it does seem the more recent ones have been a lot more difficult!
Reply 8
hopefully they'll give us an easier one tomorrow. good luck everyone!
Reply 9
Good luck people :biggrin:
Reply 10
the one thing i was hoping not to come up, capacitors :frown:
il be doing well to get like 3 in q1
q2 was alright, still think i missed up the gradient, but awh well.
least this was only worth 30 marks :P
Reply 11
Disastrous; got 0.2 for d1/d2 ratio, -2.9 for gradient, what did everyone say bout L cubed and T squared?
Reply 12
I got a straight line. G= 1.2~ and d1/d2= 0.3~
The Toffy
I got a straight line. G= 1.2~ and d1/d2= 0.3~

I hope your right... I got G around 1.3 and d1/d2 around 0.3 i think

You reckon it was meant to be a straight line?

with T^2 proportional to l^3, i stuck to my guns of it being straight, by the logic 2logT is proportional to 3logl

which i think is a straight line - though most pople in my group changed their graphs when they saw that question
Reply 14
Eradicus
Disastrous; got 0.2 for d1/d2 ratio, -2.9 for gradient, what did everyone say bout L cubed and T squared?

L^2 = kT^3
log L^2 = Logkt^3
2logL = logk + 3logt

so

logL = logk + (3/2)logt

compare to y = mx +c gradient must be 1.5

nb my L and T may be the worng way round I cant remember the exact equation but that is how to do it.
Reply 15
Aha. Ive lost my marks for the last question, because i really dont understand how to rearrange equations to y=mx+c. I said it doesn't confirm that relationship as my graph was a straight line and the graph it suggests would be a curve. Didn't have a clue. Only 2 marks though. hopefully te rest went well.
I also got a straight line for the gradient, i was told that in similar past practicals that they'll accept either a straight line or a slight curvature.

Question 1 i saw and my heart sunk, i had no idea about how to measure the frequency of a voltage signal! Was originally thinking of putting down a voltmeter, timing it to fall to 0V and 1 over that the frequency, knowing it was wrong, had a polo and a swig of water, and it came to me! Oscilliscope!

As for the practical, our tech and teacher made a mistake in setting it up, it said in the paper that the weights were bolted 10mm from the end, but they did ours 10cm from the end, and so we had to note it down in the question, and on cover of paper! He said he'll have to conduct the experiment, properly, and again as we have done it, and send both sets of results in, but any mistakes caused by wrong equpiment we won't get marked down on, trust out school!

Latest