The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Missing your offer

Ok so I have accepted my conditional offer from Edinburgh of 34 IB points with 5,5,5 at higher level to study Chinese. However, having almost finished my IB exams I am pretty sure that I haven't met the offer in that there is no way I have got a 5 in HL maths. That said, I am fairly confident I have easily cleared 34 points overall and got at least level 5s in my other HLs. I also feel that my ab initio Chinese exam went very well and hope for a 6 or 7. Furthermore the general consensus seems to be that the maths paper this year was particularly hard.

My question is, will I still be offered a place if I don't get a 5 in maths, but achieve an overall score much higher than my offer, particularly since maths bears no relation to my course? Moreover, I expect good grades in the subjects that relate to my course (French HL, Chinese, English..). I just feel that it would be a shame to miss the offer in this way and would feel hard done by if I don't get to study Chinese because of maths.

Thanks for any advice
Come results day you need to phone up Admissions immediately and find out if your grades are fine. I was asked for A-Level grades of BBB and got in with AAC, I understand this is different as A-levels span two years and there's flexibility with 2nd year entry, but they may well be leanient.

Good luck with the rest of your exams, do your best!
Then you can think about this later :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thanks very much for the reply. Sounds much more encouraging than some of the other stuff I've been reading on here, but I guess we'll see come results day!

Latest

Trending

Trending