The Student Room Group
Reply 1
supergirl
i'm doing 5 AS levels
wat grades should i be looking at for AS level for med..
i know i need A in chem and biol..
but do i need 5 A's?
wat is the minium!

You don't need any particular set of AS grades, but you need to do well enough so that you get predicted atleast ABB (AAA would be good) to stand a decent chance of securing an offer.
Reply 2
supergirl

wat is the minium!

UUUUU

given you can avoid writing down AS results on your UCAS form & it's theoretically possible you could still get your teachers to predict you AAB or higher (A2 predictions are what the unis will look at & your teachers make these in their reference) - though it's obviously very unlikely these would suffice in terms of actually then achieving offer grades..!

a more easy to objectively answer Q is what are the minimum A level grades you need & that seems to be ABB for standard entry at the moment, though these vary from school to school (check the stickied thread at the top of this forum for details!) & it's highly likely soon all places will be AAB.

so, in order to comfortably get predictions of those grades & a realistic chance of achieving them without oodles of distracting resits then you'll be wanting at least AAB in the 3 subjects you plan on carrying on.

but of course, i would (& indeed, i did!) aim for AAAAA - which will guarantee you good predictions & take the pressure off somewhat for the harder A2 work & notable module mark scores may impress certain unis..

edit - lots of people have beaten me too it with their responses, but oh well.. :p:
Reply 3
If you're planning to apply to Cambridge, you will have to declare your AS UMS marks too.

Basically, aim for as many high As as possible- AS marks are easier to come by than A2 marks, so getting >240 UMS would be extremely helpful.
Reply 4
Hey all. I'm in my 1st year of college doing 5 subjects; AS Chem, Bio, Maths & Economics, and A2 French. I'm confident that i can get 4 As in the AS subjects I do, but I'll probably only get a B in A2 French.

I was just wondering whether Universities will look favourably on the fact that I did A2 French a year 'early', or would it be better to do A2 French again next year together with the other A2s I will be doing, in the hope of getting 5 As overall?

Any guidance/help would be appreciated.
i got ABB at my As results, and got 2 offers from bristol and liverpool, but im afriad now is the hardest part of actually trying to get my B in chemistry up to an A as it was only just a B (i have to resit the lot)
please try and do as well as you can, it will help a lot!
Reply 6
visesh
If you're planning to apply to Cambridge, you will have to declare your AS UMS marks too.

Basically, aim for as many high As as possible- AS marks are easier to come by than A2 marks, so getting >240 UMS would be extremely helpful.

Is this the case for all subjects or just medicine, i thought they did this one year and then stopped it but not sure :confused:
Elles
UUUUU

given you can avoid writing down AS results on your UCAS form & it's theoretically possible you could still get your teachers to predict you AAB or higher (A2 predictions are what the unis will look at & your teachers make these in their reference) - though it's obviously very unlikely these would suffice in terms of actually then achieving offer grades..!

a more easy to objectively answer Q is what are the minimum A level grades you need & that seems to be ABB for standard entry at the moment, though these vary from school to school (check the stickied thread at the top of this forum for details!) & it's highly likely soon all places will be AAB.

so, in order to comfortably get predictions of those grades & a realistic chance of achieving them without oodles of distracting resits then you'll be wanting at least AAB in the 3 subjects you plan on carrying on.

but of course, i would (& indeed, i did!) aim for AAAAA - which will guarantee you good predictions & take the pressure off somewhat for the harder A2 work & notable module mark scores may impress certain unis..

edit - lots of people have beaten me too it with their responses, but oh well.. :p:

A very nice answer - you get rep!
Reply 8
Juneau
Is this the case for all subjects or just medicine, i thought they did this one year and then stopped it but not sure :confused:

IIRC they did it in 2003 (my year, with no warning) and last year but were reprimanded by UCAS.
visesh
IIRC they did it in 2003 (my year, with no warning) and last year but were reprimanded by UCAS.

So they are not allowed from now on?
Reply 10
abhineyjain
So they are not allowed from now on?

I don't really know one way or the other tbh...

Latest

Trending

Trending