The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bathos - Anti-climax
hyperbole - Exaggerated styles of language.
intertextuality - The situation in which one text deliberately echoes another.
intratextuality - When a text will refer to itself through a system of echo and connection.
prolepsis - when there is a 'flash forward' in the text but it may also be used where foreshadowing takes place.
Reply 21
Verisimilitude is often a good one to chuck in there and make the examiner think you know far more than you do. It basically means life-like.
Reply 22
HexagonalBolts
If a word is filled with 'f' sounds you say that it has fricatives

If a word has 's' sounds you say that it has sibilance

If a word has strong 'b', 'p' or 'd' sounds then they are plosives

If an aspect of a piece of writing attempts to emulate something else you can say that it is 'mimetic' of something, for example if a poem attempts to make use of a beat that is mimetic of a horse trotting

there are loooads I can't think of them all right now

Wow! Somebody mentioned sibilance to me a couple of weeks ago and I had no idea what it was. Thanks!
I honestly wouldn't just throw these words in without fully understanding them and being able to use them in the right context.
MrRead
Leitmotiv - recurring theme or idea.

Is there a difference between a leitmotif and just a motif?
Hendiadys
Abdulla
Wow! Somebody mentioned sibilance to me a couple of weeks ago and I had no idea what it was. Thanks!

They're incredibly useful, especially for poems which are usually stuffed full of them. Although they're quite simple to spot they create quite a profound evocation of emotion through both the word itself and the sound and the pronunciation of the word, which, if you describe in detail, will give you lotssss of marks :smile:
Reply 27
some words we were told to include where possible:
didactic language
diction
hubris
antithesis
connotation
hyperbole
inversion
litotes
oxymoron
paradox
parallelism
pun
rhetoric
cacophony
euphony
onomatopoeia
dramatic irony
deus ex machina
hamartia
catastrophe
blocking
convention
aside
soliloque
monologue
syntax
tripling
pronouns
allusion
cliche
ambiguity
motif
pace
pathos
pprotagonist
satire
phonology
plosives
fricatives
sibilance

they won't all be relevant, but the sound like useful words!
Reply 28
Is there a word for lexis with many syllables?
The antonym of monosyllabic basically. Cheers
polysyllabic.
Reply 30
Bathos and Pathos?
end-stopping :rofl:
Reply 32
Pathos -= emotive I think.
Bathos = anti-climactic.
So, you'd say "this poem is pathos", what? How would you use it in context? See what I mean, please don't just throw these words in OP.
Reply 34
Nativeenglish
So, you'd say "this poem is pathos", what? How would you use it in context? See what I mean, please don't just throw these words in OP.

Yeah only use the ones you definitely know and can apply.
Reply 35
Wouldn't you say something like

"Although this text contains an underlying sense of grief, it does not convey a sense of pathos due to the limited use of emotive language and blah blah"

Totally made up, but would that be in the right context?
Reply 36
All these terms are not worth mentioning unless you can say how and why they are used and what effect they have. There are marks for them when they are used as part of your analysis, but not when you are just listing features.
'Somantic field' is a nice one - I think it refers to the variety of words that a certain word makes you think of. owtte.

e.g. 'Shine' makes you think of 'sun', 'happiness' etc.
crushdtinbox
'Somantic field' is a nice one - I think it refers to the variety of words that a certain word makes you think of. owtte.

e.g. 'Shine' makes you think of 'sun', 'happiness' etc.

Might be wrong, but do you mean "semantic" field?
Reply 39
Wow this thread takes me back!! I loved English Language a-level! Especially language acquisition :smile: Got an A, feel free to quote/PM me with questions everyone, and good luck!

Latest