The Student Room Group

TSR History forum "who are you?" thread

Scroll to see replies

User Name: bohogirlie
Level you are taking this year: A Level
Board you are taking: OCR
options you are taking: Chamberlain and Anglo-German Relations and Tudor Foreign Policy :frown:
Reply 21
User Name: Reema
Level you are taking this year: A2 Level
Board you are taking: Edexcel
(if known) options you are taking: Individual Assignment (Gandhi and Indian Independence), Poverty and the Welfare State 1834-1939, Hitler and the Nazi State 1918-1939. That was this year. Last year - Mussolini and Fascist Italy, Road to WWII, and Votes for Women.
Reply 22
Reema
User Name: Reema
(if known) options you are taking: Individual Assignment (Gandhi and Indian Independence), Poverty and the Welfare State 1834-1939, Hitler and the Nazi State 1918-1939. That was this year. Last year - Mussolini and Fascist Italy, Road to WWII, and Votes for Women.

same as Reema, except my Individual Assignment was on the Rise of the Labour Party 1880-1914
Reply 23
User Name: madjackie
Level you are taking this year A2
Board you are taking AQA
(if known) options you are taking; Henry VIII, Change and continuity in Germany 1880-1980 with particular focus on the third reich, Personal Study (to what extent was the omnipresence of the Nazi terror state a myth)

xxx :biggrin: xxx
Reply 24
Posted this before but it got wiped!
User name: red_roadkill
Level you are taking: A2
Board: AQA
Options (if known): Henry VIII & the Reformation, Nazi Germany & German Economy 1880-1980 and Personal Study (To what extent were the SS responsible for the decision to start the Final Solution?).
Reply 25
zaf1986
zaf1986
A2
OCR
Russia 1855-1956, Elizabeth I 1558-1603

exactly the same!
Grace, seeing as you have As at AS (that was you, right?) I was wondering if you had any tips for the Russia synoptic? I'm just getting worse the more practice I do, a fresh perspective might be a nice idea.
Madelyn
can it be....someone else doing my course? What is this madness?

Madness indeed...I quite like the Tudor stuff, not so keen on Spain. And remembering what happened when and where in the Netherlands is just a pain...
Reply 28
It's so unfair, the way they make Spain AND the Netherlands one module! I'm just starting to get the hang of the Neths (after several months of being taught it...), but Spain just feels so fragmented - the way you have to keep jumping about chronologically. Gah! But I had a look at a past paper the other day and it was ok - though now they've changed the way the questions work! What's with that? I mean, could it not have waited until after our exams?
So much happier with Elizabeth, she's more fun, and you can concentrate more on the personalities. I find the European stuff too vague - I always want to know more of the details and the teacher just says I don't need to. Very annoying. And I cannot do finance. I think I'm just missing the necessary parts of my brain.
Reply 29
User Name: Nellz
(if known) options you are taking:

1) The Seeds of evil - Hitler's rise to power
2) Weimar Germany, 1919-1929
3) Hitler and the Nazi State, 1933-1939
4) British Foreign Policy, 1918-1939
5) Representation and Democracy in Britain, 1830-1930
6) Power in the Nazi State, 1933-1939

Does anyone sense a pattern here :rolleyes:
Reply 30
User name: lauzt
Level: Advanced Higher
Options : Britain at war and peace : 1939-51
Dissertation title ( just in case anyone's interested) : To what extent was the Second World War a catalyst for social change in Britain?
Madelyn
It's so unfair, the way they make Spain AND the Netherlands one module! I'm just starting to get the hang of the Neths (after several months of being taught it...), but Spain just feels so fragmented - the way you have to keep jumping about chronologically. Gah! But I had a look at a past paper the other day and it was ok - though now they've changed the way the questions work! What's with that? I mean, could it not have waited until after our exams?
So much happier with Elizabeth, she's more fun, and you can concentrate more on the personalities. I find the European stuff too vague - I always want to know more of the details and the teacher just says I don't need to. Very annoying. And I cannot do finance. I think I'm just missing the necessary parts of my brain.

Our teacher is always really annoyed that the whole synoptic thing means you only focus on the religious stuff - he says Spain is a really hard bit o' history to do out of context and half of the things we do would make more sense if we knew more about foreign policy and/or socio-economic issues. It's also really annoying becuase you've got Charles V in between Ferdinand and Isabella and Philip II, and it's hard to gauge how far he is concern with Spainish religion and how far he has his emporer's underpants on (our teacher is obsessed with pants...and darleks...and sea monsters from Doctor Who, who he says are the sea beggars...) And then there's the whole thing with moriscos/mudejars...I can't remember which is which!!

English is OK (if you don't mind being taught by your dad...) but I don't like Mary at all - she was sooooooo dull. Edward and Elizabeth are much more interesting.
Reply 32
I quite like Mary, we've decided she's totally underrated and was actually pretty decent, and once you get past the Catholicism and the whole Philip thing (everyone makes mistakes) and look at for example her financial management, she was relatively good at the economic side of things. Did you do Henry VII at AS? I loved him, and his uncle Jasper. Ahh, sweet Jasper...now I have only Robert Dudley to dream about.
Madelyn
I quite like Mary, we've decided she's totally underrated and was actually pretty decent, and once you get past the Catholicism and the whole Philip thing (everyone makes mistakes) and look at for example her financial management, she was relatively good at the economic side of things. Did you do Henry VII at AS? I loved him, and his uncle Jasper. Ahh, sweet Jasper...now I have only Robert Dudley to dream about.

Yeah we did, and I agree Uncle Jasper was fairly rockin'! Not so keen on tubby old Luther...
Level: AS Level
Board: OCR
Options: Germany 1918-1945 (Weimar and Nazi), Britain 1899-1914 (Liberals and Labour)
Reply 35
Lillith Grimore
Not so keen on tubby old Luther...

not even when he's played by Joseph Fiennes?
Madelyn
not even when he's played by Joseph Fiennes?

Oooh where? Apparently I missed that part...
Reply 37
There was a film of Luther out last year, with Joseph Fiennes. We all got very excited about this until we realised that it only appeared to be showing in Germany and America. Alas.
Madelyn
There was a film of Luther out last year, with Joseph Fiennes. We all got very excited about this until we realised that it only appeared to be showing in Germany and America. Alas.

Shame as he's rather scrummy... but it was about Luther, so I don't see how even Joseph Fiennes could have made that anything other than bland...
Mmmmm. Joseph Fiennes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending