The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Helenia
That wouldn't get you into May Balls though...

Seriously, you could do it, but to me, it looks a bit sad really. :p: You wouldn't know anyone, you're not part of it yet, and it's all about chilling out with your friends.

Is Cambridge not as much a part of the thousands of students who have graduated and aren't there now as it is to the ones yet to be matriculated? Sure, the memories of three amazing years have not be made yet, but the place means as much to us as it does to those there and those who have left. We have memories of being inspired by the archetecture, seeing a good student play, punting, getting drunk after interviews, seeing mates from school there....Cambridge is a place of goodness and acceptance for those not yet matriculated in the same way it is for those there and from the past and will remain so for the rest of our lives; we are Cantabriagians together for life by sharing the collective experience that matters so much to us all.

I may not have 'come up' yet, but my soul has and is attached there for life. I throughly love my visits up to Cambridge, and I think for many students, to be there in the first place, the journey has not been an easy ride. You read in the papers stories of people who have struggled against the odds to make it and you love the place even more for the way it has certainly changed their lives. I'm a Cantabrigian now as much as I'll be on Greek Week and all those other days before Matriculation!

£^&" May Balls for next year, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with enjoying the summer sunshine perhaps in The Granta or anywhere else by the Cam for free and thanking God there's a place like this. This is a different level from school where the 'sad'/'cool' relativism remains just that, and trust me, I've seen things around Cambridge I'd consider far 'sadder' than some students with offers/unconditionals paying the place a visit when it looks at its finest and enjoying the 'friendly' student atmosphere.

I could take a flight to Ibiza right now, come back hours before my first Greek Week lesson and the passion and soul is still there; I am Cantabrigian, I am part of it as as is anyone else who loves the city, and there's not a damn thing anyone can say to change that (unless they take the offer back!)
Reply 141
Immortal Wombat
I think it's any sprint sport. Anything where the victory is sudden and immediately after the exertion, while the adrenaline is still flowing.

mmm i guess that applies, but i dont know of any sport that hurts like rowing does. But I agree with you that it is most important that the victory is immediate after the exertion. Doing well at a head race just isnt the same thing as winning a regatta (for example we won our division last saturday and beat jesus....but I didnt get at all excited about that)
Willa
mmm i guess that applies, but i dont know of any sport that hurts like rowing does. But I agree with you that it is most important that the victory is immediate after the exertion. Doing well at a head race just isnt the same thing as winning a regatta (for example we won our division last saturday and beat jesus....but I didnt get at all excited about that)

That well-known Blues sport testicle tae kwon-do is more painful, FYI
Reply 143
Stewie
Is Cambridge not as much a part of the thousands of students who have graduated and aren't there now as it is to the ones yet to be matriculated? Sure, the memories of three amazing years have not be made yet, but the place means as much to us as it does to those there and those who have left. We have memories of being inspired by the archetecture, seeing a good student play, punting, getting drunk after interviews, seeing mates from school there....Cambridge is a place of goodness and acceptance for those not yet matriculated in the same way it is for those there and from the past and will remain so for the rest of our lives; we are Cantabriagians together for life by sharing the collective experience that matters so much to us all.

I may not have 'come up' yet, but my soul has and is attached there for life. I throughly love my visits up to Cambridge, and I think for many students, to be there in the first place, the journey has not been an easy ride. You read in the papers stories of people who have struggled against the odds to make it and you love the place even more for the way it has certainly changed their lives. I'm a Cantabrigian now as much as I'll be on Greek Week and all those other days before Matriculation!

£^&" May Balls for next year, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with enjoying the summer sunshine perhaps in The Granta or anywhere else by the Cam for free and thanking God there's a place like this. This is a different level from school where the 'sad'/'cool' relativism remains just that, and trust me, I've seen things around Cambridge I'd consider far 'sadder' than some students with offers/unconditionals paying the place a visit when it looks at its finest and enjoying the 'friendly' student atmosphere.

I could take a flight to Ibiza right now, come back hours before my first Greek Week lesson and the passion and soul is still there; I am Cantabrigian, I am part of it as as is anyone else who loves the city, and there's not a damn thing anyone can say to change that (unless they take the offer back!)

Jesus, that's obsessive! Cambridge is really just a city, with a university in it. Admittedly a beautiful one with some fantastic traditions, but considering that you haven't experienced what life here is actually like, I'm really not sure that you're a proper "Cantabrigian" yet.

Come here in May Week by all means, I just don't get why you'd want to attempt to participate in something you're not part of, and won't be able to enjoy fully until next year. I don't mean "sad" as in the playground meaning, I just cannot understand why you'd want to do that. There'll be plenty of time and trust me it'll be worth it. Just being in the city at the same time will not be the same.
Reply 144
Helenia
Jesus, that's obsessive! Cambridge is really just a city, with a university in it. Admittedly a beautiful one with some fantastic traditions, but considering that you haven't experienced what life here is actually like, I'm really not sure that you're a proper "Cantabrigian" yet.

Come here in May Week by all means, I just don't get why you'd want to attempt to participate in something you're not part of, and won't be able to enjoy fully until next year. I don't mean "sad" as in the playground meaning, I just cannot understand why you'd want to do that. There'll be plenty of time and trust me it'll be worth it. Just being in the city at the same time will not be the same.

Touche (can't work how to do accents here), and it's your right to express it. Think back to opening your acceptance letter, thinking of all those mixed feelings of surprise/relief/euphoria/fear/etc....I don't think it's something any of us will forget, and especially anyone on a Gap year who has to wait a bit longer to 'fulfil' what's promised. It's been one Hell of a ride I'll never forget, and surely for even getting this far into offers, we've been 'scarred/branded' in some way that we weren't before?

We can put it to one side of course for exams,etc, but that tingle remains.
lol wish i could be bothered to read all that... and i wish my offer was unconditional then i'd come sit at the backs with you and drink pimms lol
Reply 146
JHutcher
lol wish i could be bothered to read all that... and i wish my offer was unconditional then i'd come sit at the backs with you and drink pimms lol

Seriously dude, come results day you'll be so estatic and relieved at being so worried over nothing that you'll do the whole routine (like from 'Friends') where you'll call everyone pretending you got D's/E's and then after getting them worked up for ages laugh and break the good news (God that was fun...!) :smile:

If it wasn't for me doing so well in my AS year I wouldn't be where I am now; I got low 490's for all my subjects and that was fine :cool:

Work your a%se off of course, but you've got nothing to worry about buddy :wink:
Stewie
Seriously dude, come results day you'll be so estatic and relieved at being so worried over nothing that you'll do the whole routine (like from 'Friends') where you'll call everyone pretending you got D's/E's and then after getting them worked up for ages laugh and break the good news (God that was fun...!) :smile:

If it wasn't for me doing so well in my AS year I wouldn't be where I am now; I got low 490's for all my subjects and that was fine :cool:

Work your a%se off of course, but you've got nothing to worry about buddy :wink:

glad you have the cofidence lol

Pimms

1 - gin
2 - whiskey
3 - brandy
4 - rum
5 - rye
6 - vodka

1833 James Pimm developed as something to drink with his oysters.
Stewie
Touche (can't work how to do accents here), and it's your right to express it. Think back to opening your acceptance letter, thinking of all those mixed feelings of surprise/relief/euphoria/fear/etc....I don't think it's something any of us will forget, and especially anyone on a Gap year who has to wait a bit longer to 'fulfil' what's promised.

I don't remember my acceptance letter. Probably my reaction was along the lines of "hey, that's cool."
I remeber my acceptance letter- I was listening to Judy Garland's 'Somewehre Over the Rainbow' song and studying Teilhard de Chardin!
Reply 150
I had been (mis)informed that a fat letter bore an acceptance, along with forms and accomodation material, whilst a thin letter meant rejection. I quickly resigned myself to dissapointment when it was thin, only to wonder why on earth they required grades from rejects...

The thing I remember most is my mum's reaction (she was away at the time):

"I don't believe you."

i mean literally. i had to fax her a copy of the acceptance letter before she would consider that i might not be lying.
or be like me and not get a letter but a phone call in P4. come out a horrible exam have a missed call from cam on ur phone - panic!!! find a phone with credit on it and then find the number then the long minutes as the phone rings before been told. now that was awful!!!!!!
Reply 152
Simone de Beauv
I remeber my acceptance letter- I was listening to Judy Garland's 'Somewehre Over the Rainbow' song and studying Teilhard de Chardin!

I got mine on New Year's Eve. I was in my nice warm bed half asleep when my mum came in and said "there's a letter for you". So I opened it, read it, and she asked what it said (The Clare letters are unmarked except for the Cambridge postmark which was almost illegible). In my sleep induced haziness I mumbled "Oh I got into Cambridge" and promptly fell asleep :smile: . So much for having visions of dancing round the house etc!
I dont think I had seriously considered how I would deal with rejection until the letter was sitting there, I had tried "bigging up" other unis, but my parents so didnt beleive m- they knew I wanted cambridge. but I think it was a bit of an anticlimax- my letter was quite harsh and it started as if it was a rejection letter, saying about how interviews are imprortant and how they had to reject many able people...and then at the end it put in bold that I had to get the grades stated- or. else. (ummm 'or else- slight exageration)
Reply 154
Simone de Beauv
I dont think I had seriously considered how I would deal with rejection until the letter was sitting there, I had tried "bigging up" other unis, but my parents so didnt beleive m- they knew I wanted cambridge. but I think it was a bit of an anticlimax- my letter was quite harsh and it started as if it was a rejection letter, saying about how interviews are imprortant and how they had to reject many able people...and then at the end it put in bold that I had to get the grades stated- or. else. (ummm 'or else- slight exageration)

that's a bit odd....i've always heard they start with "I am pleased to inform you" blah blah blah or something to that effect
it also said "we are going to make you an offer"- so I didnt beleive that it was an offer offer- maybe they were just being cruel to be kind??
Reply 156
jd27
I had been (mis)informed that a fat letter bore an acceptance, along with forms and accomodation material, whilst a thin letter meant rejection. I quickly resigned myself to dissapointment when it was thin, only to wonder why on earth they required grades from rejects...

That's why I spent ages telling people on here that rumour was a lie (I had a really thin acceptance letter) but nobody believed me!

Right: onto the epic...

Stewie
Touche (can't work how to do accents here), and it's your right to express it. Think back to opening your acceptance letter, thinking of all those mixed feelings of surprise/relief/euphoria/fear/etc....I don't think it's something any of us will forget, and especially anyone on a Gap year who has to wait a bit longer to 'fulfil' what's promised. It's been one Hell of a ride I'll never forget, and surely for even getting this far into offers, we've been 'scarred/branded' in some way that we weren't before?

No, I won't ever forget it, but I don't think it changed my life as much as all that. I was absolutely ecstatic, of course, but I didn't immediately feel part of the place. I wanted to be, but I knew I wasn't yet. For reference, I had a gap year too, so had about 20 months wait between acceptance and matriculation! During my Gap year I looked forward to Cambridge and thought how much cooler it would be than my dull job, but at no point did I even think of going there just to be there.

The rest of the idealistic waffle I'll leave aside, I just take issue with this:

We were all in the same position once, I just feel personally it's a little harsh to say we're not as influenced/changed by Cambridge as students like you are when really we're not that different. Different experiences, yes, but binded by what allows for the experience in the same way as graduates.

No. Trust me, you're not as changed as you will be. Yes, you know your way around the city and you know what places look like, but you are not here yet. Anticipation of being here, and the experience of the reality are two separate entities and I don't think you can judge the latter before you come, no matter how much psychobabble you put in front of it. When I've graduated, I will still come back to Cambridge with fond memories, but that's because I'll have experienced it; I know what the current students there are doing and feeling, and I'll probably wish I was back there. Same as for any university, until you're really there, you don't know what it's like. Ask several people on the boards, who have been either disappointed or pleasantly surprised by the experience, it's not always everything you imagine.
Reply 157
Wombat... did you drink anything at the formal? I must say it's pretty sh*t for 18 pounds.
I had some port. I wasn't overwhelmed by its value for money.
I got a letter with the opening line "We are sorry to inform you that we have not been able to make you an offer as the competition was extremely strong this year" Oh dear i though... its not till you get to the fourth paragraph of a long letter about the applications precedure that it says "However we will be placing you in the inter-collegiate pool for other colleges to consider your application." Oh yes.

Then there is the waiting with everyone else who got pooled (an awful experience nobody should be put through)... and then i phone on the 1st Feb and say "why haven't i heard anything" and the lovely women says "oh haven't you?." excitement rising "does this mean i have an offer?"... "umm not sure sometimes they don't sent letters for ages to the rejected people"... "balls"... "let me ring around and get back to you".... and here is me eing really nervous and then in about 2 minutes i hear the phone ring "hello is that Justin... yes you should have had a letter from Jesus..." "oh wow does this mean they are making me an offer" "yes phone them for the details."

So i phone jesus only to be told that i should have had a letter by about 5th of January informing of my offer... damn the postal system... but i was extremely pleased.

I didn't deal well with rejection but managed to make Durham seem like th enicest palce on earth lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending