The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love doing statistics by hand. :o:
LatinMachine
Some of these topics have made me curious!

What kinds of things do you study in this?

Can I ask what they consider these disorders to be? And what is 'environmental' psychology?! I like the way you get 3rd year modules related to occupations though, e.g. clinical and educational - reminds you why you started psych in the first place! Oxford, with it's research-area focus, definitely makes you lose sight of what the actual jobs include. We also don't get a module on historical-type stuff - they voted Freud out of our department quite a while ago. But I find the history of psychiatry so interesting I would have probably loved a module like that!

The 3rd year Cognitive Disorders module includes topics such as: Agnosia, Dyslexia, Aphasia, Neuro-rehabilitation, and Amnesia. Environmental psychology focused on people's attitudes and behaviour towards the environment using Modified Prisoner's Dilemma (i.e. game theory) and measures of Social Value Orientation.
Just coming to the end of my first year at Exeter;

1st Semester we had four modules. Each module had an hour a week lecture (so 4 hours) plus practicals and tutorials per module. Average time per week = 4.5 hours.

2nd Semester we had six modules. Same priniciple except one lecture was 2 hours (so 7 hours) plus practicals and tutorials. Average time per week = 8 hours.

I have to disagree with Godspeed upon your first year doing psychology, I have done minimal work and I am at the 2.1/1st borderline (most of my assignments flicking between) and in my first semester modules I got high 2.1s in all of my exams + assignments. Remember that most unis require only a 40% pass rate and doesnt count towards final mark so my advice would be to have fun in your first year (I go out about four times a week at least) and knuckle down for second and third year. =).

Latest