The Student Room Group

general questions, any help appreciated

im doing a chemistry module, not finding it too bad but would like some peoples input to make sure im not writing rubbish

so firstly, have i wrote a balanced chemical equation (had to use v for subscript, looks abit confusing sorry) ;

Fev2Ov3(s) + 3Hv2(g) = 2Fe(s) + 3Hv2O(g) im pretty sure i have 2Fe, 3O and 5H on either side now.

Next i need to find out what non-metal anion is been represented here (it has a charge of ^-2) 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6. i get the subshells and how their filled and everything but im puzzled with this one. i think it has the the confuguration of argon, could it be Ar^-2?

lastly, i need to decide the right formulae for the following molecules (in relation to covalent bonding;

O and O
N and N
Cl and Cl
they will either have single,doulble or triple bonds.
i think so far O and O will have double bonds and N and N triple is this right so far?

Reply 1
Flo_Ryder89
Fev2Ov3(s) + 3Hv2(g) = 2Fe(s) + 3Hv2O(g) im pretty sure i have 2Fe, 3O and 5H on either side now.

Fe2O3 + 3H2 --> 2Fe + 3H2O

Fe x 2
O x 3
H x 6
On each side, so it's balanced.

Flo_Ryder89
Next i need to find out what non-metal anion is been represented here (it has a charge of ^-2) 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6. i get the subshells and how their filled and everything but im puzzled with this one. i think it has the the confuguration of argon, could it be Ar^-2?

Well if there's an anion with a charge of -2 and an electron configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 I'd imagine it'd be Ca2+, but Ca is a metal... so I'm not sure about that one.

Flo_Ryder89
lastly, i need to decide the right formulae for the following molecules (in relation to covalent bonding;

O and O
N and N
Cl and Cl
they will either have single,doulble or triple bonds.
i think so far O and O will have double bonds and N and N triple is this right so far?

O2 is a double bond, yes.
N2 is a triple bond, yes.
Cl2 is a single bond.
Reply 2
Flo_Ryder89
Next i need to find out what non-metal anion is been represented here (it has a charge of ^-2) 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6.

Charge of -2 means it has 2 electrons more than it has protons. 18 electrons, so 16 protons.
Reply 3
Kinkerz
Well if there's an anion with a charge of -2 and an electron configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 I'd imagine it'd be Ca2+, but Ca is a metal... so I'm not sure about that one.

Hell fire! What am I talking about here. Ignore every sentence.

This is the way to go:
Zygroth
Charge of -2 means it has 2 electrons more than it has protons. 18 electrons, so 16 protons.
Reply 4
^ thanks guys for your help, i worked out the anion one, it was sulfur, since sulfur and oxygen were the only ones i could think of that had -2 charge, and sulfur has 16 protons :smile: .

wow, chemistry isnt so bad really is it! kinda getting used to all this atom mind boggling stuff. i really do applaud all the chemists out there, you really are mega smart. :yep: x
Reply 5
Flo_Ryder89
^ thanks guys for your help, i worked out the anion one, it was sulfur, since sulfur and oxygen were the only ones i could think of that had -2 charge, and sulfur has 16 protons :smile: .

That's the right answer.

Latest