The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Conor012
Well, I'll start with Queen's Belfast, because that's really the only one anyone round here talks about.

:hmmmm:

My 2p -
B'ham: 7A*, maybe 8A* for this upcoming 2010 entry cycle.
Newcastle | Durham: UKCAT UKCAT UKCAT.
Reply 2
I think it's too multifactorial and there are too many assessors and interviewers at each school, with a corresponding lack of knowledge on the forum, for this to be of real value.
Reply 3
barts - UKCAT
Reply 4
Conor012
I remember reading a post a while back about this applicant who was REALLY strong in one area but not so strong in the others but still managed four offers because he/she knew what each uni was looking for.

So basically, I just want to know, seeing as I'm pretty oblivious to the whole thing. what are the general stereotypes for each university?

Well, I'll start with Queen's Belfast, because that's really the only one anyone round here talks about. It's only GCSEs and UKCAT that are looked at really, with the system on a points scale. 4- A*, 3- A, 2- B, 1- C, then each section above 600 gets one extra point, each below 600 gets a point taken away, then around 600 (average i think??) no change. And the number of points needed each year varies, from 29 in 2008 I remember to 35 this year :s-smilie:

So any other ones? Btw, I'm really just looking for some of the unis that don't 'officially' publish what they want but if there are any general ideas or what you've heard what they like, post them here if you can :biggrin:

Does this new 35 points include a 10th GCSE? if not, then that is a big leap.
my friend was one of the last to get a place in late april last year with 30 points. I am also sure you needed 30 points for 2008 entry, i had 29, and on the open day was told the cut off was 30.
Reply 5
i made a post on this in a different thread- i managed to get 4 offers and i think one of the reasons is because i selected my unis very carefullly. My GCSEs are good, AS were average and UKCAT was poor so i chose unis that looked at GCSEs, didnt have alot of emphasis on UKCAT, and dont look at AS

Cardiff- they have a point system where they look at your GCSEs, you need to get a total of 20/21 to get an interview. 3 for an A*, 2 for an A, 1 for a B. They dont put much emphasis on UKCAT (i got an offer with 595)

Leeds- do not look at AS, and only look at UKCAT at the end and if two applicants have the same score. extra-curricla is important for leeds esp. sport. Everyone on my interview day played some kind of sport.

Birmingham- if you have 3 As predicted and 8 A*s or more you stand a good chance. They do look at AS.

Bristol- dont look at AS. need 3 As predicted. they like languages as they have an erasmus programm so they look for applicants each year who would be able to take part in the program. they look at your 8 best GCSEs, this doesnt mean if you have 8 A*s you should apply. Bristol is one of the most competitive unis, i found that it is very much luck and a good, strong personal statement. They dont interview many peopple, so you really need to wow them with your ps.

Sheffield- if you have a poorr UKCAT do not apply, waste of a place. they emailed me saying that they were looking for applicants with UKCAT of 675+

Edinburgh- i really loved this uni, however i felt i would not have been a strong enough applicant as they do not interview so its basicallly what is written on paper. Their selection process is a point system- they look at EVERYTHING- so they give you points for your AS, predicted a-levels, UKCAT, GCSEs. They then look at your personal statement- basically you need a lot of work experience and a fair amount of extra curricla eg. you would points if eg you play hockey for the county, or you are the head girl/boy. Then the applicants with the top points get offers. So you can see you have to be strong in every aspect of your appplication. My AS were not goood enough neither was my UKCAT, you ideally need 4 As for AS.
Reply 6
annread
and dont look at AS.

The only place that cancels out is Cambridge.
Reply 7
Reply 8
i think if everyone chips in with information about each of their unis we can make a really useful article on this. it's things like these which applicants want the most.
Reply 9
I second Renal's point to be honest.
Reply 10
Asclepius
I second Renal's point to be honest.

Yeah, it is multifactorial, and there are alot of grey areas, but it'd be foolish to say that certain medical schools don't put more emphasis on certain things, i.e. Birmingham and their A* system.

You're at Manchester. You must know of their new admission system where they'll look through the complete applications and select the ones that score highest, then they'll use the UKCAT to rank these applicants -- applying with a shoddy UKCAT, then, would almost certainly result in a rejection.

I see this thread as kind of an 'applying wisely' help thread.

Isometrix
i think if everyone chips in with information about each of their unis we can make a really useful article on this. it's things like these which applicants want the most.

I agree with this.
Kinkerz
Yeah, it is multifactorial, and there are alot of grey areas, but it'd be foolish to say that certain medical schools don't put more emphasis on certain things, i.e. Birmingham and their A* system.

You're at Manchester. You must know of their new admission system where they'll look through the complete applications and select the ones that score highest, then they'll use the UKCAT to rank these applicants -- applying with a shoddy UKCAT, then, would almost certainly result in a rejection.

I see this thread as kind of an 'applying wisely' help thread.

This is true, but I'm not 100% on the applications system here any more, they have made some pretty substantial changes this year. But yeah, the UKCAT point is fair, it isn't worth applying here with a poor score, you probably want to be averaging over 600 (at least) in order to stand a fair chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending