The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mandarin would be very useful as China is a growing super power, however for the current market, I believe German would be your best bet. I am going to study German at college next year for career purposes. I also think Mandarin would be too difficult without knowing a 2nd language already.
Reply 2
what about russian?russia is developing economically pretty quick
Reply 3
Turkish is a great second language..then u can... talk to my uncle.. :eek:
Reply 4
What about French. It's a nice language.

Zain
Reply 5
im going to CASS as well...i was also thinking of doing a another language though would prefer to brush up my basic-intermediate french (i think i will do the french...:smile: )
I thought spanish would be great for a second language due to its wide use and "compatibility" with other european languages like Portuguese and Italian (and to a lesser extent Romanian and French).
Mandeep
VOTE LABOUR
Reply 6
Khalsa1846
im going to CASS as well...i was also thinking of doing a another language though would prefer to brush up my basic-intermediate french (i think i will do the french...:smile: )
I thought spanish would be great for a second language due to its wide use and "compatibility" with other european languages like Portuguese and Italian (and to a lesser extent Romanian and French).
Mandeep
VOTE LABOUR

Which course you going to be on? There seems to be quite a few TSR people going to Cass next year!
Reply 7
i'll be doing BSc Investment and Financial Risk Management....though u r doing BIF i think i will be doing some of your modules with you... :cool:
Mandeep
VOTE LABOUR!
Reply 8
Khalsa1846
Mandeep
VOTE LABOUR

Thats good as I will be doing French as the second language too.

Zain
Reply 9
Agha Zain
Thats good as I will be doing French as the second language too.

Zain

at cass?
Reply 10
Jools

Note that banks a second language is only useful if you are completely fluent in it, not 'intermediate' GCSE/A-Level standard - imagine if you're a client and the businessman can only speak poor broken English.

Gotta start somewhere though!

Personally I'm going to be taking German classes if I end up at York, (not sure what Nottingham have though):cool:
melbourne
Hi, whilst im at Cass next year doing Banking and International Finance i want to learn another language to help me when applying for internships.

Im thinking of doing German- would this be wise? Is there another language that would eb useful in 4-5 years time? Mandarin/Chinese?

thanks!

If you're going to be working in Europe, I'd still say French or German. But Spanish or Italian are useful too.

Mandarin might be worth learning but I wouldn't bother learning it now. It's not in a couple of years that China are going to become that powerful economically. It's certainly worth learning if you're curious but if you're hesitating between Chinese and French/German, go for French or German.

Plus, think about how you're going to perfect your language skills: going for a week to France or Germany is simple. Would you be prepared to go to China to perfect your language skills?
jumpunderaboat
Gotta start somewhere though!

Personally I'm going to be taking German classes if I end up at York, (not sure what Nottingham have though):cool:

My theory is that you only learn a language if you embrace a culture associated with it: you've got to want to read in that language, watch films in that language, even listen to music in that language and especially visit the country.
Noone learns just through lessons.
Reply 13
chinese would be alright

but french for definite. most other countries that dont speak english have french as their national language. its a must learn!
Reply 14
French is pretty important, also one of the middle-eastern languages would be a good idea, maybe Arabic.
Reply 15
SamTheMan
My theory is that you only learn a language if you embrace a culture associated with it: you've got to want to read in that language, watch films in that language, even listen to music in that language and especially visit the country.
Noone learns just through lessons.

I agree completely, hence I intend to learn German as I go there several times a year anyway, but my point was that no-one can just become fluent in a flash...
Reply 16
do german, it kicks a**. Also germans are cool. I'm learning german and if i had a second choice in languages it would probably be russian.
Reply 17
german
Reply 18
French! French
if you already know some french, spanish is totally easy as most of the words, grammar etc are very very similar. i do some as level std french, and learning spanish, and have fairly decnt german. i'd say german is very different to most europen languages but if you have no experience of languages, go for german as some of the word are similar to english. if you have some french already, spanish and to a lesser degree italian are similar. if you have spanish, italian is easy as is portugese.

i did learn mandarin and i found it was very very difficult. in russian yes the alphabet is different but not every single word is a different symbol. in fact most chinese only know 20% of the words for reading

Latest

Trending

Trending