The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they drive trains....
Reply 2
hubarabsprog

some1 say something +ve about train drvs.

youd be ****ed w/o them
Reply 3
Could drive two trains
Reply 4
i've found a song about them:
http://www.amateurtransplants.com/
click on listen
click on the headphones next to 'london underground'

sums up my felling about train drivers.
Reply 5
not_me
youd be ****ed w/o them

Yes, exactly. What would you do without them.

Zain
Reply 6
i read somewhere its one of (if not the highest) paid job you can go into without a degree. (excluding playing the stock market or anything self-employed etc)
Reply 7
Agha Zain
Yes, exactly. What would you do without them.

Zain

drive the thing myself. can't be that hard. like that song says - all the say is please mind the doors and they learn that on the 2 day course.
i mean how hard is it to do this:?
Reply 8
im sure that bit is programmed. They only talk when theres a delay.
SJ No.18
im sure that bit is programmed. They only talk when theres a delay.

My dad is a train driver...
Reply 10
Hayley_2k4
My dad is a train driver...

is he ever tempted to just ignore the signals, for the sheer thrill value ?
rofl.
Reply 12
When they stop, they have to get it lined up perfect. Apart from that and dealing with people committing suicide in front of them...erm...
Reply 13
glance
When they stop, they have to get it lined up perfect.

They always stop at different parts of the platform at my stop :frown:

glance
Also they have to deal with people committing suicide in front of them.

Is there special training for that?
Reply 14
metta
s there special training for that?

Doubt it, wonder what it would be like if they did though? Must be horrible for the driver involved when things like that happen :frown:
Surely its nearly all automated? If its not it should be, then we wouldnt have to pay for train driveres, who could in turn get another, ultimately more usefull job.
Reply 16
My uncle is a train driver. He earns a comfortable wage and only has to work two days a week.

They don't stop for any animal smaller than a cow and it is generally accepted that you doze off occasionally if you're on the night shift.
Reply 17
SammyD
My uncle is a train driver. He earns a comfortable wage and only has to work two days a week.

They don't stop for any animal smaller than a cow and it is generally accepted that you doze off occasionally if you're on the night shift.

sounds a nice job.

must be a bit crap having ppl kill themselves in front of u - not ur fault. jus trying to do a day's work.
metta
i read somewhere its one of (if not the highest) paid job you can go into without a degree. (excluding playing the stock market or anything self-employed etc)

Someone i know had to actually go to college in order to become a train driver. To the ignorant eye, i suppose they do nothing significant except pull on levers. But it's possible that something we do not may be the hardest part of the job, something undercover :confused:. Might be due to the privatisation of London Underground.

In my opinion, something drastic has to be undercover in order for me to accept that train drivers should be paid more than london bus drivers.
Reply 19
Yeah and like what's with doctors? All they do is type prescriptions into a computer and be rude and cold to patients. I could just prescribe my own medication- it'd be more fun.

:rolleyes:

Why train drivers btw? There's a whole host of jobs you could say people get paid for when they (apparently) do very little. What do you work so hard at then that you deserve a wage/people to listen to your opinions etc?

Latest

Trending

Trending