The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And what degree are you doing?
Some people just want to study something they enjoy, instead of just looking at employment statistics on a table.
Reply 3
It opens up alot of options from working in education to the criminal justice system
Why the heck are you posting crap? :rolleyes:
Reply 5
because its interesting. that's the only reason i needed.
Reply 6
Oh no, another person who needs to pull their head out of their ass.
Reply 7
I love people like the OP. I love it when this gets brought up in conversation, because the people who love to slag it off usually have no idea what sociology actually is. You can just ask them, so since you're such an expert, what actually is it? How do you define sociology? I've never once been given a straight answer to that question by people like this. Of course now the OP can go type it into wikipedia and pretend he knew all along...

But yeah, not only is it a very interesting subject, I think it is becoming increasingly relevant as we live in a rapidly changing world. Its a subject which helps us to explain and understand the rapidly changing society within which we all live.

I also think the evidence based approach taken by sociology and the analytical skills developed over the course of the degree are highly valued skills in many areas of the job market. Sociology graduates are particularly suited to careers within, among others, the police force, social work, marketing, journalism and teaching.

You just come across as ignorant to be honest mate.
debaser
I love people like the OP. I love it when this gets brought up in conversation, because the people who love to slag it off usually have no idea what sociology actually is. You can just ask them, so since you're such an expert, what actually is it? How do you define sociology? I've never once been given a straight answer to that question by people like this. Of course now the OP can go type it into wikipedia and pretend he knew all along...

But yeah, not only is it a very interesting subject, I think it is becoming increasingly relevant as we live in a rapidly changing world. Its a subject which helps us to explain and understand the rapidly changing society within which we all live.

I also think the evidence based approach taken by sociology and the analytical skills developed over the course of the degree are highly valued skills in many areas of the job market. Sociology graduates are particularly suited to careers within, among others, the police force, social work, marketing, journalism and teaching.

You just come across as ignorant to be honest mate.

I'm considering majoring in Sociology or Cultural Anthropology for University. Would you say it's a good background for pursuing a career in law?
Reply 9
Only hard sciences are important, but sad thing is that not everyone has the abilities to study them.
Reply 10
Ang|ophi|e
I'm considering majoring in Sociology or Cultural Anthropology for University. Would you say it's a good background for pursuing a career in law?

I'm really not the person to ask because I know very little of careers in law. I have heard of sociology graduates going into law and also accountancy, but obviously postgraduate study is required. I've actually heard that some accountancy firms have a quota of say, 10% of graduates they hire have to have a degree in a subject other than accountancy because they like the variety of having employees with different academic backgrounds.
Reply 11
Hydrargyros
Only hard sciences are important, but sad thing is that not everyone has the abilities to study them.

I do love the comedy that this thread is providing.

What effect do "hard" sciences have upon peoples lives? How do they change the way people live their lives? How do they affect social life and social cohesion?

How can you answer these questions? Set up a chemistry experiment? Or a physics experiment?

Oh no, that's right. Social science.
Reply 12
come on guys - sociology is nothing short of useless. i once asked the sociology teacher at school to tell me why it is useful. he reckoned ''oh for jobs as statisticians in the government, and it helps get in to things......''

yeah right like any employer would pick a socio grad rather than a mathematics/stats grad.
Reply 13
Jimmy Mullen
come on guys - sociology is nothing short of useless. i once asked the sociology teacher at school to tell me why it is useful. he reckoned ''oh for jobs as statisticians in the government, and it helps get in to things......''

yeah right like any employer would pick a socio grad rather than a mathematics/stats grad.

I particularly like your technique for dealing with my arguments, by simply ignoring them.
Reply 14
debaser
I particularly like your technique for dealing with my arguments, by simply ignoring them.

the way forward mate
Reply 15
Well then I do believe a sociologist (someone who studies a subject which is so hilariously useless) has just defeated you in the discussion about sociology.
Reply 16
Jimmy Mullen

Well that would surely depend on a variety of factors, for example what the job is, who the employer is, if the candidate fits in with the company's culture, if the candidate has other relevant experience etc etc.

For example you could get a mathematics grad who's done nothing except study, never had a job, has no real social skills and is relatively inexperienced when it comes to life skills. Or you could have a sociology grad who's had a few jobs, some relevant experience and is a better cultural fit. There are plus points of both degrees - a mathemitician would be better at calculating profits and losses because they are better with figures, whereas a sociologist would be better at project proposals because they are better at formulating an arguement.

Life is about more than what degree you have, despite what your teacher or careers advisor has told you. Degrees are so abundant in today's society that it has to be about more than that.
LooCee
Well that would surely depend on a variety of factors, for example what the job is, who the employer is, if the candidate fits in with the company's culture, if the candidate has other relevant experience etc etc.

For example you could get a mathematics grad who's done nothing except study, never had a job, has no real social skills and is relatively inexperienced when it comes to life skills. Or you could have a sociology grad who's had a few jobs, some relevant experience and is a better cultural fit. There are plus points of both degrees - a mathemitician would be better at calculating profits and losses because they are better with figures, whereas a sociologist would be better at project proposals because they are better at formulating an arguement.

Life is about more than what degree you have, despite what your teacher or careers advisor has told you. Degrees are so abundant in today's society that it has to be about more than that.

But it's a problem when only those people are hired who are good talkers and very extroverted. Sometimes the introverted one who can't function around people would have the best skills for the job.
Reply 18
Hydrargyros
But it's a problem when only those people are hired who are good talkers and very extroverted. Sometimes the introverted one who can't function around people would have the best skills for the job.

Well again, my point was that it depends on the job :smile: If your job doesn't require you to work as part of a close knit team or work with people in general then someone who can't function around people would probably do very well! Also, just because someone is introvert that doesn't mean that they can't do well in a social company or in a job where they work with large groups and vice versa!

The overall point was that a degree isn't the be and end all of everything, there are many different factors which employers take into account.
Reply 19
LooCee

better at project proposals???? yeah fat lot of stats in that. sociology is rubbish end of.

Latest

Trending

Trending