The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Is it just me or...

....are the entry requirements for quite a few courses at UCL kind of average.

Obviously, for things like Law, they are AAA.

I am applying for Law to UCL/Kings next year, which both ask for AAA. However, I would be quite happy doing another course at these two universities like French/Spanish which ask for ABB. I noticed other courses at UCL like History only ask for AAB.

I already have my A Levels and scored - AAA + Merit in AEA Spanish.

Therefore, when I apply... could I send an application for Law and try and construct my PS around Law and how I like languages, and also put down French as a choice at UCL? Would this look bad? I am desperate to go to UCL/Kings and would choosing another course at one of these universities go down well or screw up my application completely?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pussinboots1990
I noticed other courses at UCL like History only ask for AAB.

I believe that there are two History courses at UCL- one run by the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences which requires A*AA from 2010, and one run by SSEES which requires ABB. The one run by SSEES ha a specific focus on Slavonic and Eastern European history.

If the French /Spanish course is really popular, then I would have thought that they would favour a French/Spanish oriented personal statement rather than a Law PS. I am just speculating, though. Don't take my word for it.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
bottfly7
I believe that there are two History courses at UCL- one run by the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences which requires A*AA from 2010, and one run by SSEES which requires ABB. The one run by SSEES ha a specific focus on Slavonic and Eastern European history.

If the French /Spanish course is really popular, then I would have thought that they would favour a French/Spanish oriented personal statement rather than a Law PS. I am just speculating, though. Don't take my word for it.

Thanks for your reply

Would it be risky of me to apply for the following:

UCL - Law (3FT LLB) Asking for - AAAe
UCL - French (4FT Hon BA) ABBe

KCL - Law (3FT LLB) AAAb
KCL - French (4FT Hon BA) ABB

Nottingham - Law (3FT LLB)

With my grades (AAAb, 8A* @ GCSE, a good LNAT result and a Law/French Personal Statement, would I get offers from at least one of my choices?
My offer for joint French and Spanish was AAB. I got AAA by 10 UMS points :proud:
pussinboots1990

I am applying for Law to UCL/Kings next year, which both ask for AAA. However, I would be quite happy doing another course at these two universities like French/Spanish which ask for ABB. I noticed other courses at UCL like History only ask for AAB.

Therefore, when I apply... could I send an application for Law and try and construct my PS around Law and how I like languages, and also put down French as a choice at UCL? Would this look bad? I am desperate to go to UCL/Kings and would choosing another course at one of these universities go down well or screw up my application completely?

Nope 2010 Entry requierements for History is A*AA. I guess you are talking about SSEES History

As to your second bit, no offense meant but if you do that, you will be rejected for nearly all of your choices I suppose. You really need a focused and detailed PS in order to get a place at top courses like Law. I also think Languages at UCL are quite popular.
BetterThanYesterday
Nope 2010 Entry requierements for History is A*AA. I guess you are talking about SSEES History

As to your second bit, no offense meant but if you do that, you will be rejected for nearly all of your choices I suppose. You really need a focused and detailed PS in order to get a place at top courses like Law. I also think Languages at UCL are quite popular.

Yeh that's fair enough.

So... should I just take the risk, do a completely law focused PS and apply to KCL, UCL, Durham, Nottingham? I really, badly want to be back in London next year (I left university this year). Is it worth taking the risk?
pussinboots1990
Yeh that's fair enough.

So... should I just take the risk, do a completely law focused PS and apply to KCL, UCL, Durham, Nottingham? I really, badly want to be back in London next year (I left university this year). Is it worth taking the risk?

I don't understand as to why are you describing your situation as 'risky'.
Is that just doing A-levels in foreign languages or what?
seeing from your posts, I suppose you are on a gap year?

Why not apply to LSE as well if you really want to stay in London?
Although social scene is pretty bad, it's one of the top schools and still located in London.
BetterThanYesterday
I don't understand as to why are you describing your situation as 'risky'.
Is that just doing A-levels in foreign languages or what?
seeing from your posts, I suppose you are on a gap year?

Why not apply to LSE as well if you really want to stay in London?
Although social scene is pretty bad, it's one of the top schools and still located in London.

I did A Levels in French, History, Spanish and English.

It's risky because I could get rejected by Kings and UCL.

I'm not on a gap year at the moment, I was at uni this year but left just now. I am taking next year out to reapply and travel etc so will be applying for 2010 entry.
pussinboots1990

If you're good at languages, why not apply for law with french/spanish law? They're 4-year law courses and you get to spend your third year abroad! They do it at UCL and I'm sure King's does too...

That gives you a double-shot at admission, because if they reject you for the special law courses they'll still consider you for the normal law degree.
^what he said.
Onearmedbandit
If you're good at languages, why not apply for law with french/spanish law? They're 4-year law courses and you get to spend your third year abroad! They do it at UCL and I'm sure King's does too...

That gives you a double-shot at admission, because if they reject you for the special law courses they'll still consider you for the normal law degree.

Ditto. great idea really
Onearmedbandit

I thought you had to be fluent in French/Spanish to even stand a chance of getting on to the aforementioned courses... Most of the people who I've noticed applying are natives... I think it says something along those lines in the prospectus as well...
adilmorrison
I thought you had to be fluent in French/Spanish to even stand a chance of getting on to the aforementioned courses... Most of the people who I've noticed applying are natives... I think it says something along those lines in the prospectus as well...

That's definitely not true, if some of my friends are anything to go by!
Onearmedbandit
That's definitely not true, if some of my friends are anything to go by!

Wow! The prospectus is certainly milsleading then... I just checked it and it says "complete fluency must be demonstrated"...
adilmorrison
Wow! The prospectus is certainly milsleading then... I just checked it and it says "complete fluency must be demonstrated"...

Well you obviously need to have some proficiency in it. Enough to hold a conversation (I've heard they sometimes conduct telephone interviews in the proposed language). But you don't need to be a native speaker or anything.
Onearmedbandit
Well you obviously need to have some proficiency in it. Enough to hold a conversation (I've heard they sometimes conduct telephone interviews in the proposed language). But you don't need to be a native speaker or anything.

What are you studying at UCL? *edit* just looked at your profile. Any tips for me to get onto the UCL course? Should my grades stand me in good stead?

And is that definately true that if I apply for Law with French Law at UCL (UCL website says that an application for [Law with French Law] will be deemed to include an application for [the normal Law degree] ?
pussinboots1990
What are you studying at UCL? *edit* just looked at your profile. Any tips for me to get onto the UCL course? Should my grades stand me in good stead?

And is that definately true that if I apply for Law with French Law at UCL (UCL website says that an application for [Law with French Law] will be deemed to include an application for [the normal Law degree] ?

Your grades look fine, and you'll almost certainly have better GCSEs than me. So long as your LNAT goes alright and your application generally is good (which it should be) you'll have a good chance. I don't really have any particular tips... I don't really know how they dish out offers. I suspect admissions policy is a closely-kept secret.

I remember reading on the website & prospectus that people who get rejected for law + another legal system courses are automatically considered for straight law. This is probably still so, although it may have changed so you might wanna look into it.
Onearmedbandit
Your grades look fine, and you'll almost certainly have better GCSEs than me. So long as your LNAT goes alright and your application generally is good (which it should be) you'll have a good chance. I don't really have any particular tips... I don't really know how they dish out offers. I suspect admissions policy is a closely-kept secret.

I remember reading on the website & prospectus that people who get rejected for law + another legal system courses are automatically considered for straight law. This is probably still so, although it may have changed so you might wanna look into it.

I rang UCL a moment ago, and they said that people that are rejected for Law with French (or something else) are rarely made offers for straight Law. The person on the phone suggested applying for M100 (Law) as well as M141 (Law with French) if I didn't mind using up two of my choices on UCL, which I don't, although it is a risk.
pussinboots1990
I rang UCL a moment ago, and they said that people that are rejected for Law with French (or something else) are rarely made offers for straight Law. The person on the phone suggested applying for M100 (Law) as well as M141 (Law with French) if I didn't mind using up two of my choices on UCL, which I don't, although it is a risk.

Hm... that seems like an odd way to go about it, and it uses up two of your options...

Well, it's your choice!
pussinboots1990

go for it, why not? :yep: