The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I need AAA for History....

And had to effectively do an email interview. And I was one of 3 straight A students to actually get an offer from my school.

So its not exactly easy!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
pussinboots1990
....are the entry requirements for quite a few courses at UCL kind of average.

Obviously, for things like Law, they are AAA.

I am applying for Law to UCL/Kings next year, which both ask for AAA. However, I would be quite happy doing another course at these two universities like French/Spanish which ask for ABB. I noticed other courses at UCL like History only ask for AAB.

I already have my A Levels and scored - AAA + Merit in AEA Spanish.

Therefore, when I apply... could I send an application for Law and try and construct my PS around Law and how I like languages, and also put down French as a choice at UCL? Would this look bad? I am desperate to go to UCL/Kings and would choosing another course at one of these universities go down well or screw up my application completely?

French and Spanish are CRAZY popular courses at UCL, I really doubt a PS not directly aimed at them would stand a chance.

HOWEVER. There is a course called ESPS which is essentially a social science + a language, so a PS about law and languages would fit nicely. Also you could apply for Law with Spanish/French Law?
BetterThanYesterday
As to your second bit, no offense meant but if you do that, you will be rejected for nearly all of your choices I suppose. You really need a focused and detailed PS in order to get a place at top courses like Law. I also think Languages at UCL are quite popular.

not really. i applied to 4 different courses in 5 universities;got rejected by oxford and lse,which is quite expectable not considering the ps stuff.
xoxo xy's here!
not really. i applied to 4 different courses in 5 universities;got rejected by oxford and lse,which is quite expectable not considering the ps stuff.

well you applied to pure econ as well as econ and xxx subject, sorta similar courses. :rolleyes: However, the OP wants to apply to Law and Foreign language, which is a totally different thing.
BetterThanYesterday
well you applied to pure econ as well as econ and xxx subject, sorta similar courses. :rolleyes: However, the OP wants to apply to Law and Foreign language, which is a totally different thing.

i'm afraid it's not.firstly, i didn't apply to pure econ.secondly,i doubt if there's an idiot who thinks PPE,econ & politcs,econ & stats and econ & finance are just slightly different courses which won't make you life easier when it comes to writing your ps.finally,i think you can be a bit nicer when answering other people.dont judge with your representative :rolleyes: and "no offense"
also i forgot sth to tell you,and here's the chance.you said econ is way too competitive in ucl(althogh i never want to change to pure econ),but econ &stats is anyway more demanding than pure econ.dont be sad about the truth.and who knows whether they would accept me if i applied to pure econ in the first place.so theres nothing you ever have to be arrogant about.

and to the OP:even i didnt apply to language, i can add the unit or i can transfer to the degree with the language according to the guy who replied my email and if i do so,they even lower my requirement.:smile: maybe it's not that helpful,but im just trying to help
xoxo xy's here!
i'm afraid it's not.firstly, i didn't apply to pure econ.secondly, i doubt if there's an idiot who thinks PPE,econ & politcs,econ & stats and econ & finance are just slightly different courses which won't make you life easier when it comes to writing your ps.finally,i think you can be a bit nicer when answering other people.dont judge with your representative :rolleyes: and "no offense"

which are enough grounds for your rejection at LSE and Oxford.

I highly, indeed very highly, doubt if there's an idiot who thinks a single piece of personal statement that includes Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Statistics and Finance can go all together very smoothly while keeping its standard.

Mind if I ask you a single question: have you even got an interview at Oxford? lol I presume you got rejected right after the TSA on account of your poor writing skills.

xoxo xy's here!
also i forgot sth to tell you,and here's the chance.you said econ is way too competitive in ucl(althogh i never want to change to pure econ),but econ &stats is anyway more demanding than pure econ.dont be sad about the truth.and who knows whether they would accept me if i applied to pure econ in the first place.so theres nothing you ever have to be arrogant about.

Oh is it? Pure econ has always been more competitive than any other joint econ courses, regardless of institution (the same goes for LSE).

Demanding? In terms of what? Both courses are rigorous and please don't get me wrong you moron; you've gone wayyyyyyyy too far, I haven't said a word about that ****. :p: Stat course being more maths-oriented does not necessarily mean the course is more challenging.

Yes I must admit that I have been quite offensive to you a bit. Why? well I'm not a racist, but I just don't like your egocentric attitude which is the epitome of cliquish chinese people - sorry about that bit but I can't really help with that bit.
BetterThanYesterday
which are enough grounds for your rejection at LSE and Oxford.

I highly, indeed very highly, doubt if there's an idiot who thinks a single piece of personal statement that includes Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Statistics and Finance can go all together very smoothly while keeping its standard.

Mind if I ask you a single question: have you even got an interview at Oxford? lol I presume you got rejected right after the TSA on account of your poor writing skills.

Oh is it? Pure econ has always been more competitive than any other joint econ courses, regardless of institution (the same goes for LSE).

Demanding? In terms of what? Both courses are rigorous and please don't get me wrong you moron; you've gone wayyyyyyyy too far, I haven't said a word about that ****. :p: Stat course being more maths-oriented does not necessarily mean the course is more challenging.

Yes I must admit that I have been quite offensive to you a bit. Why? well I'm not a racist, but I just don't like your egocentric attitude which is the epitome of cliquish chinese people - sorry about that bit but I can't really help with that bit.

because your moron brain is not capable of that doesnt mean other people cant do that.getting rejected from oxford is quite common even i did write,according to you,a normal ps.:rolleyes: and dont forget.you got rejected too.should i remind you of that? oh,sorry,i can't really help too.
and to disappoint you,it's very nice of them giving me an interview with the notice that i have poor writing skill.
ps.tbh,you really have no right to laugh at it since you,as a korean,are ,technically speaking,a naitive speaker while im not.
econ course being more competitive does not necessarily mean the people doing it can take the adavantage of it to look down upon others.
"I just don't like your egocentric attitude which is the epitome of cliquish chinese people "C'mon.who's the one going far away and being like the above.how ridiculous.where do you think i behave like that.im just trying to clarify while you are always being :rolleyes: and "no offense" .should i extract this -:rolleyes: is the most annoying and rudest icon you have. There are a few assholes here who love to use them and it belittles posters. Everytime I see a post with one I wish I could slap the person on the other end because it's so frickin annoying.
save that.hypocritical korean
xoxo xy's here!

because your moron brain is not capable of that doesnt mean other people can't.getting rejected is quite common even i did write,according to you,a normal ps.:rolleyes: and dont forget.you got rejected too.should i remind you of that? oh,sorry,i can't really help too.
and to disappoint you,it's very nice of them giving me an interview with the notice that i have poor writing skill.

Yes I got rejected by Oxford EM :p: Should I be embarassed about it? Well I feel it's not that embarrassing as I received offers for other four choices, and you, you got rejected more than one choice I suppose? I thought you also got rejected by other courses at LSE and UCL?

xoxo xy's here!
ps.tbh,you really have no right to laugh at it since you,as a korean,are ,technically speaking,a naitive speaker while im not.
econ course being more competitive does not necessarily mean the people doing it can take the adavantage of that to look down upon others.

How on earth could you say that Koreans are native English speaker? I had to learn from scratch at the age of ten.

How many times??? Please don't get me wrong; I had no intention at all to demote your course. You just went a bit too far. You don't have to overact.

EconStat is as rigorous as pure econ course. Mate, if I'm so preoccupied with the rep, prestige and all, then why should I chose UCL over LSE? doesn't make sense.

xoxo xy's here!

"I just don't like your egocentric attitude which is the epitome of cliquish chinese people "C'mon.who's the one going far away.where do you think i behave like that.im just trying to clarify while you are always being :rolleyes: and "no offense" .should i extract this :rolleyes: is the most annoying and rudest icon you have. There are a few assholes here who love to use them and it belittles posters. Everytime I see a post with one I wish I could slap the person on the other end because it's so frickin annoying.
save that.hypocritical korean

I'm neither a racist nor a nationalist. Nevertheless, as you can see from other threads, the general consensus is that Chinese are usually egocentric and cliquey; the term Sinocentrism clearly reflects this. Do we really need to hold this endless debate?

wrong term there lol I'm hardly a hypocrite, but I'm just being sarcastic.

oh and you don't like this emoticon? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I do apologize for my insolent tone, but I'd LOVE to use them :p: Have you ever heard of the term Freedom of speech? :rolleyes: Users DO have right to use them. Don't complain to me about it :rolleyes:, maybe you can ask mod to get rid of them. :rolleyes: Ahhh well what can I say? Wish you best of the luck :p:
Reply 28
Can we try and keep this on topic please? Anymore spam and insults will not be tolerated. Thanks
River85
Can we try and keep this on topic please? Anymore spam and insults will not be tolerated. Thanks

Thank you River :tongue:

I have decided I will just think long and hard over the summer as to which way I will take my application - towards the languages or towards pure Law. I'm not sure I want to reduce my chances of getting into good schools by applying for both, or a joint degree which doesn't take as many candidates.
Reply 30
xoxo xy's here!
i'm afraid it's not.firstly, i didn't apply to pure econ.secondly,i doubt if there's an idiot who thinks PPE,econ & politcs,econ & stats and econ & finance are just slightly different courses which won't make you life easier when it comes to writing your ps.finally,i think you can be a bit nicer when answering other people.dont judge with your representative :rolleyes: and "no offense"

and to the OP:even i didnt apply to language, i can add the unit or i can transfer to the degree with the language according to the guy who replied my email and if i do so,they even lower my requirement.:smile: maybe it's not that helpful,but im just trying to help

YOU REALLY NEED TO CHILL!!! christ :rolleyes:

OP: If you really want to get into UCL, then applying for law, spanish and law+spanish, but that's very risky. Or just apply for 2 options at ucl, like law+spanish and law, and save the other choices for other universities. If you don't get in, consult with the admissions tutors to see if you'd stand a better chance if you took a gap year and reapplied (obviously spending a bit of that time preparing yourself for the course). If you spend your time adjusting your PS to too many different areas/subjects, then yes it won't stand as strong as it would perhaps if it was focused on one. But focusing on law and spanish would be good I think, since they are both areas you like. :p:
Reply 31
EUROPEAN SOCIAL AND POLITICAL STUDIES IS THE WAY FORWARD.

Seriously, it is a language and a social science, so you can do both law and any language you want. You can even do TWO languages!

So this means you can apply for:
UCL - Law
UCL - Law and Spanish/French/German Law
UCL - ESPS

And you personal statement will suit all 3 quite/very well!!

Do not apply for pure languages. YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY GET REJECTED. Modern languages at UCL are VERY VERY competitive and unless your personal statement SCREAMS passion for languages you don't stand a chance. They don't want someone whose PS goes on about another subject.

Then whatever other options you want, i.e:
Kings - Law
Kings - Law with French Law
Kings - European Studies (almost the same as at UCL, you would do French, Spanish or German AND law)

There you go, sorted :yep:
paddy
EUROPEAN SOCIAL AND POLITICAL STUDIES IS THE WAY FORWARD.

Seriously, it is a language and a social science, so you can do both law and any language you want. You can even do TWO languages!

So this means you can apply for:
UCL - Law
UCL - Law and Spanish/French/German Law
UCL - ESPS

And you personal statement will suit all 3 quite/very well!!

Do not apply for pure languages. YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY GET REJECTED. Modern languages at UCL are VERY VERY competitive and unless your personal statement SCREAMS passion for languages you don't stand a chance. They don't want someone whose PS goes on about another subject.

Then whatever other options you want, i.e:
Kings - Law
Kings - Law with French Law
Kings - European Studies (almost the same as at UCL, you would do French, Spanish or German AND law)

There you go, sorted :yep:

Thank you so much for this advice, I really mean that sincerely.

But is the ESPS course an LLB qualifying course? I really just want to study for the LLB.
Reply 33
pussinboots1990
Thank you so much for this advice, I really mean that sincerely.

But is the ESPS course an LLB qualifying course? I really just want to study for the LLB.

No it's not an LLB qualifying course I'm afraid, not as far as I know, but it's more likely to help you in your pursuit to become a lawyer than Modern Languages is.
You can always do a conversion course to qualify to be a lawyer don't forget.
Reply 34
Hey! I do History with French at UCL but I know loads of people doing straight history as well as straight languages and people doing law. I would also suggest applying for law with french law, you do not have to be fluent, I know an American girl doing law with French law at UCL and she definately was not fluent in french when she applied. I briefly considered applying for this course myself three years ago before I went with History and French and decided to do a conversion course afterwards. the course is a great opportunity to study abroad for a year as well which would improve your french alot (I've just come back from a year at the Sorbonne in Paris) so if you dont want to completely abandon the language (which I would suggest you didnt since foreign languages are so attractive to emplyers, especially in an areas as competitive as law, but then maybe I'm biased :smile:) and still carry on with law I would suggest to do this combined course.
As to applying for straight languages, do not be fooled by the minimum requirements, it is actually quite competitive, i have a friend who does french and spanish at UCL andshe got AAAA while another girl from my school who got ABB got turned away (this was all for 2006 entry).
and what people have said about the history requirements is also true. the requirements for history at SSEES are much lower than for the history department run by UCL. My offer was AAA and so were the offers of everyone else I know on the course.

I hope this helps

Latest