The Student Room Group

how much do secondary school teachers earn?

Scroll to see replies

I know that my aunt earns a couple of thousand more than my mum (who is a solicitor), so around £34,000 I'm guessing? She's been teaching for about nine years and is a normal teacher (Biology) in an average school.

I reckon it pays well, considering how many holidays you get! There's also the opportunity to earn extra money through tutoring.
Reply 21
Original post by yosrush

Original post by yosrush
That doesn't seem right, The teachers in my school earn between 25-30k, a little more if they're deputy head, even more if guidance staff/management staff.

London weighting ads on almost £5k to the avarage salary
Reply 22
If you love teaching then it is a great job! almost 10 weeks paid holiday a year, a good starting salary with the possibility of becoming a headteacher and earning 100k plus, great pension.. in this day and age, sounds pretty bloody good to me
Reply 23
My dads best friends wife is a headteacher in a primary school and earns £1800 per week, which is pretty darn swish. My friends parents are both english teachers in separate but equally terrible state secondary schools and their house is beautiful, and they definitely live a middle class lifestyle. Even if the money isn't great, the time off and job satisfaction must be awesome. I'd imagine private schools pay even more.
sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know how long it takes for the salary to progress? I'm thinking of doing teach first for mathematics, and london starting salary is 18k or something. I was wondering after the 2 year training + course, what would my salary go to?

If i wanted to get up the pay scale faster, would i be better off doing a pcse self funded through the TDA and then go into teaching that way?

Any ideas anyone?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by blue_shift86
sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know how long it takes for the salary to progress? I'm thinking of doing teach first for mathematics, and london starting salary is 18k or something. I was wondering after the 2 year training + course, what would my salary go to?

If i wanted to get up the pay scale faster, would i be better off doing a pcse self funded through the TDA and then go into teaching that way?

Any ideas anyone?

You get paid more for London or London fringes than the rest of the UK. The amounts can be found here: http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

I don't know much about Teach First - maybe you'd go to MPS Point 3??
Original post by Vicki-Marie
You get paid more for London or London fringes than the rest of the UK. The amounts can be found here: http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

I don't know much about Teach First - maybe you'd go to MPS Point 3??

What does that mean? :/

you mean no 3 on that first table on that link?
(edited 13 years ago)
Sorry! MPS stands for the Main Pay Scale. It's what most teachers in UK state schools are paid on. (I say 'most' because Academies can choose to ignore the pay scales). Usually, you'd get your degree, complete your PGCE and then start on Level 1 of the MPS. So I don't know where you'd start after Teach First.
Hope that helps.

ps: after teaching 6 years you can move to the UPS - Upper Pay Scale. So your salary will increase every year for quite a number of years.
pps: if you want to teach in a private school, there are no set pay scales - each school is different.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Vicki-Marie
Sorry! MPS stands for the Main Pay Scale. It's what most teachers in UK state schools are paid on. (I say 'most' because Academies can choose to ignore the pay scales). Usually, you'd get your degree, complete your PGCE and then start on Level 1 of the MPS. So I don't know where you'd start after Teach First.
Hope that helps.

ps: after teaching 6 years you can move to the UPS - Uper Pay Scale. So you salary will increase every year for quite a number of years.
pps: if you want to teach in a private school, there are no set pay scales - each school is different.

I don't think there's any point in teaching in private schools. It wont be as fulfilling as teaching kids from an underprivileged background. :smile:. I wanna teach at a rough state comp :P.

Edit: I'm really really confused about teach first and pgce. You get a PGCE through teachfirst right? Is it any inferior to a pgce from a random uni like middlesex say? trying to figure out which routes, if any are particularly advantageous in getting a job after.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by snugmonster
Work in Singapore... my teacher's earn loads, so much so that my tutor is building a holiday home in Australia.

Also the holidays would be awesome.

Is this true?
Reply 30
Original post by eulerwaswrong
in the uk not so much - but i know quite a few who have gone abroad to teach and are raking it in.

However in britain in ranges from about £20k-40k. With SMT earning about £40-55k, then headteachers about £60-80k

Where?
As mentioned, if you are a qualified teacher you start on the MPS (Main Pay Scale). You get more if you live in "central" , "outer", or the "fringe" of london

Scale point
M1 21,588 27,000 25,117 22,626
M2 23,295 28,408 26,674 24,331
M3 25,168 29,889 28,325 26,203
M4 27,104 31,446 30,080 28,146
M5 29,240 33,865 32,630 30,278
M6 31,552 36,387 35,116 32,588

You usually start on M1, though if you have substantial unqualified teaching experience, or workplace experience you can start on more. I worked as a TA for a year and started on M2 once i'd qualified. Progression is a point per year, usually with some performance management requirements (nothing too demanding).

Once you top out of the MPS, you "transition" onto the Upper Pay Scale (UPS), this is a much more rigorous process, you have to present a portfolio of evidence proving that you meet the criteria for UPS (the P standards) in addition to the Core standards expected of any qualified teacher post-NQT.

U1 34,181 41,497 37,599 35,218
U2 35,447 43,536 38,991 36,483
U3 36,756 45,000 40,433 37,795

Progression through the U scale is usually every 2 years, assuming on appropriate performance management requirements are met.

So i'm 27, and moving onto M5 in September. I hopefully will have optimum trajectory through threshold (i'm already working on it) so I will nominally top out of the Upper scale when I'm 33. 36k isn't a bad sum for someone in their early 30s, though i'd have earned more going into industry.

We used to get pay increases in line with inflation, but that's not been the case for a few years (for obvious reasons). Thankfully for me that's been masked by my natural pay progression through the scale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending