The Student Room Group

What qualifies Lord Young as the Minister for Higher Education Students?

Last month TSR members were asked to submit questions about university to Yoosk who were then going to ask them to Government Ministers along with other questions from the Yoosk website.

The questions have now been asked and the video responses recorded with David Lammy (the Higher Education Minister) and Lord Young (the Minister for Higher Education Students).

Question from Daniel Williams:
Lord Young is the Minister for Higher Education Students, what actually qualifies him for this position? when did he last visit a Students' Union or Student Accommodation (halls or private)? When was the last time he ventured further afield to Northern Universities or those that are in Wales? Does Lord Young feel that most importance is placed on the southern (mainly those based around London) Universities?

In case you can't view the video now, here's Lord Young's response in writing:

"I think my qualification is that i've got an open mind and 2 young people of my own who are going through university, so it does give me good experience of what's happening to them.

Do I go north? well I think the first place I visited was Durham and I did have a visit planned to York, but unfortunately the Government Emergency committee dealing with Swine flu took precedence, but I will be going there in the future.

I see it as really important that I do actually talk to a representative group of students, a genuine cross-section of student listening groups, and I think i'm doing that.

I may not have visited where the particular questioner comes from yet, but I've got York in hand, and Loughborough planned, so i'll be getting north of the Watford gap, that's for sure!"

You can find more questions and replies in the Have your say forum, click on the green threads.
not once does he refer to wales or student accommodation, but considering someone that is responsible for the universities hasn't seemed to have visited many places north of Watford gap just yet. hopefully we'll see him lurking about in various other universities now that its on film.

also referring to his children as 2 young people of my own.... but having an open mind... does that really qualify you for anything other than a critical thinker.
Reply 2
Well yes I was thinking that his qualifications he listed weren't really worth ****.

He seems like a jolly bloke though.
Reply 3
"i've got an open mind..." ??? what, and that makes him qualified to do the job?
I've met him twice; when he came to our SU for a consulation and at a Labour students trip to Downing Street. He's a lovely bloke who is very involved but I'm not sure how effective or knowledgable he is. He certainly didn't have the answers to the questions we asked; on accomidation, young peoples jobs and so forth.
Not sure that having a Labour NUS guy reading you 6 questions qualifies you as listening to a representative sample of students. You should come on TSR and have a real two way conversation, or at least ensure 'your people' do.
Reply 6
Jesus, parents up and down the country are qualified to do his job then.
Reply 7
the Watford gap is hardly North....
Reply 8
His NAME dumb dumbs- surely a man called lord YOUNG is perfect to do the job for YOUNG people. If you don't believe me, just observe how our school system is going down the pan with a total ed BALLSUP at the helm ^^

Of course, he could just be completely unqualified.
Reply 9
In response to the thread title : seemingly nothing.
How did he become a Lord? What did he do to earn it?
:rofl:

Could you imagine him in an interview for a position as a teacher or something?

Interviewer: So, what qualifies you for this position?

Him: Well, I've got two children, that's given me an open mind.

Latest

Trending

Trending