The Student Room Group

Dropout reapplying, advice please!

Hey there, just a bit of background info before I get to my question:
I was origianlly doing Computer Science in 2007, but didn't like the course, so stuck it out til the end of the year and dropped out (after failing anyway).
Now after taking a gap year I want to reapply for BSc Human Physiology and Biomedical Science at a different university.
But, my question is:
From what angle shall I do my UCAS application? As in, I've dropped out before, and now i'm back, hello? Or just as if I'm applying for the first time? And what about my reference? Who do I get to write it? Not sure if college will remember me as it's a huge college and I left 2 years ago, so do I try and get one from there, or one from my full time job, or one from my uni tutor?

Rep available to replies please!
Thank-you TSR gods of wisdom :smile:
Reply 1
Best thing to do I would say would be to contact admissions tutors for the courses you want to apply for before you apply and just tell them about yourself and see if they would be willing to accept you. Could save you even bothering with the whole references thing.
Reply 2
Hi, I did the same thing earlier on this year. I changed from Law to Geography at another uni.

So here's what I did:

When I wrote my personal statement I mainly talked about how much I loved the subject (geography) then why I wanted to go that particular uni. I only mentioned I was doing Law in the 2nd last paragraph, and did it very briefly, just 'I'm currently doing Law, but course not for me. It hasn't been a waste, learnt a lot, know more about what's expected from you academically at uni than I did last year etc". I just said it very briefly.
I think all you need to do is try and 'dress-up' the first course in a positive light by saying that although the subject wasn't suited to you, you still learnt something from the experience. I think universities value that, especially as a lot of kids are coming straight from school and have no idea as to what uni's like. You can say that now you are able to make a more informed choice.
And don't mention that you failed! What they don't know won't hurt them and I don't think they can find out your results from that course anyway (?)

As to reference, I was only a few months out of high school so I went back to my old guidance teacher. He basically gave me the exact same reference he wrote first time around, but added that he had discussed the course change with me and that he agreed that it was the best thing for me to do.

If you want any help, just pm me! :smile:
Reply 3
Miss_Rachel
Hey there, just a bit of background info before I get to my question:
I was origianlly doing Computer Science in 2007, but didn't like the course, so stuck it out til the end of the year and dropped out (after failing anyway).
Now after taking a gap year I want to reapply for BSc Human Physiology and Biomedical Science at a different university.
But, my question is:
From what angle shall I do my UCAS application? As in, I've dropped out before, and now i'm back, hello? Or just as if I'm applying for the first time? And what about my reference? Who do I get to write it? Not sure if college will remember me as it's a huge college and I left 2 years ago, so do I try and get one from there, or one from my full time job, or one from my uni tutor?

Rep available to replies please!
Thank-you TSR gods of wisdom :smile:
Your college should have records they can draw on for your reference. I would contact them and ask for help.

Latest

Trending

Trending