The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they're called "townies"...or more like a subset of the "townies". And you dont see them around much during the day, at least I havent...not in the centre of town.
what you got against chavs anyway!?
Reply 2
Another QUALITY thread by our resident newbie:p:
Reply 3
scared_newbie
are there any chavs at cambridge uni?

heh heh heh don't go near the Grafton Centre (if you do have a thing against chavs that is otherwise.....)
I'm more of a newbie than he is :biggrin:
scared_newbie
are there any chavs at cambridge uni?

Oh for F*CK'S SAKE

<logs out>
Reply 6
sorry

GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!

liverpool 1 - 0 chelsea

luis garcia
Reply 7
FFS what a ridiculous thing to say. Yes there are, there are also some darkies- it's a scary place to go to uni what with all the diversity

:rolleyes:
Reply 8
Is it wrong to discrimnate against chavs... the underclass fo britain... the sub-culture of fake designer, jobless, ambitionless, nothings... these are the people that are comeing to embody what used to be the respected working-class.

They don't deserve our respect, they all need a kick up the arse and a raid by the counterfeit department in the police.

And thats me being nice... and its in no way right to equal it with racism, because these people aren't a race and choose there sub-existence.
Reply 9
JHutcher
Is it wrong to discrimnate against chavs... the underclass fo britain... the sub-culture of fake designer, jobless, ambitionless, nothings... these are the people that are comeing to embody what used to be the respected working-class.

They don't deserve our respect, they all need a kick up the arse and a raid by the counterfeit department in the police.

And thats me being nice... and its in no way right to equal it with racism, because these people aren't a race and choose there sub-existence.

Indeed, at least the working class used to break their backs for us, what what! Now what are they good for, I say shoot the buggers!
Reply 10
Willa
they're called "townies"...

They're called chavs...

Anyhow, yes, there are some but they're mostly quite tame. Spoons on a Friday or around the grafton and at any carnival type thing on midsummer common you'll find them. But apart for the few who actually study here, they mostly keep to the other parts of the city where real people live.

A.
Reply 11
JHutcher

Ouch! I have to agree with Willa though. It's townie not 'chav' urghh hate that word. Thank you BBC for that :rolleyes:
Reply 12
PhilipGarsed
Ouch! I have to agree with Willa though. It's townie not 'chav' urghh hate that word. Thank you BBC for that :rolleyes:

well townies are just scumbags that hang around the streets... i have one for a brother.

Chavs have a whole philosophy about them.
Reply 13
If you mean at the uni itself, then yes. I'd probably be considered a chav - designer clothes (but they're real!), timberlands, hoop earrings, best of all are the orange combats! I live in Liverpool during vac and the fashion there is very much Coleen McLoughlin/Footballers' Wives. Some of my friends are quite "chav-ish", but it's a different kind of chav to those actually from Cambridgeshire. There are townies, but they're not really that bad. The kids that hang round the Grafton centre and the big bus stop are pretty tame. They stopped me and my friend with "excuse me, do you have a lighter please?". We were like "shouldn't you be smashing up the bus stop darling?". Some of the townies are pretty sh*tty, they don't like students at all and if they're in the clubs they can get a bit out of order. The cars that drive round market square piss me off as well. One of them hit my friend that came to visit cos he didn't realise he should move out of the way pretty quick. You can tell the townies by the annoying accents and the general unfriendliness compared to students (sorry for the generalisation here!).

I think if you're a chav/townie/scally and you come to Cambridge uni, you soon learn other traditions and get into the swing of formals etc. Plus you'll get loads of (friendly) abuse for what you wear - everyone does, and being away from where you normally are you'll probably tone it down a little.

Well that's what I reckon anyway!
Reply 14
JHutcher
well townies are just scumbags that hang around the streets... i have one for a brother.

Chavs have a whole philosophy about them.

Get a life, don't bring that attitude to cam else I'll be forced to hurt you. How isn't discriminating against chavs on the same level as racism? You elitist ****
I agree with puppy here. People aren't who they are because of what they want to be - they are a result of the society that they live in on to shirk your reponsibility to society (which is in fact the only thing that confirms you exist) with elitist and derogatory statements about those who differ from you is no help at all.

MB
Reply 16
musicboy
I agree with puppy here. People aren't who they are because of what they want to be - they are a result of the society that they live in on to shirk your reponsibility to society (which is in fact the only thing that confirms you exist) with elitist and derogatory statements about those who differ from you is no help at all.

MB

you have to agree that some of them are tw*ts. not defending anyone being chav-ist. but i'm not a fan of those people that drove into my friend!
Reply 17
Alaric
Spoons on a Friday

*Shudder* one of the most traumatic experiences of my time here :eek:
Reply 18
urban peasants.

if they existed 700 years ago, they'd have their own tier in the feudal system. obviously at the bottom.
Reply 19
Lozza
If you mean at the uni itself, then yes. I'd probably be considered a chav - designer clothes (but they're real!), timberlands, hoop earrings, best of all are the orange combats! I live in Liverpool during vac and the fashion there is very much Coleen McLoughlin/Footballers' Wives. Some of my friends are quite "chav-ish", but it's a different kind of chav to those actually from Cambridgeshire. There are townies, but they're not really that bad. The kids that hang round the Grafton centre and the big bus stop are pretty tame. They stopped me and my friend with "excuse me, do you have a lighter please?". We were like "shouldn't you be smashing up the bus stop darling?". Some of the townies are pretty sh*tty, they don't like students at all and if they're in the clubs they can get a bit out of order. The cars that drive round market square piss me off as well. One of them hit my friend that came to visit cos he didn't realise he should move out of the way pretty quick. You can tell the townies by the annoying accents and the general unfriendliness compared to students (sorry for the generalisation here!).

I think if you're a chav/townie/scally and you come to Cambridge uni, you soon learn other traditions and get into the swing of formals etc. Plus you'll get loads of (friendly) abuse for what you wear - everyone does, and being away from where you normally are you'll probably tone it down a little.

Well that's what I reckon anyway!

Nah, I doubt you're a real chav/townie, you're just not home counties and I can imagine lots of people here not really understanding the difference.

Oh yeah, I suppose if I'm in a mood for complaining, yeah the ones in cars seem to be the most annoying. Like they think that shouting abuse at you as they drive past is amusing and 'big', being in a car seems to give them more balls. They don't do it when they're on the street with me.

And Friday spoons is amusing! All the girls are about 14 and all the guys hitting on them look about mid 30s. That's wrong in so many ways.

A.

Latest

Trending

Trending