The Student Room Group
Joey12
Just wondering if anyone else had applied to do a form of genetics degree? If so where have you applied? what exact course have you applied for? and what university have you decided upon as ur firm choice?
I haven't 'applied' for it and my uni degree isn't designed for it, but as part of the science segment in my psych/science degree I did undertake some genetics units in biology.

What do you need to know? I can tell you that in general, first year is very interesting and quite easy, 2nd year a lot more difficult. I discontinued it come 3rd year (this year, lol). I only do psych now :smile:

DB_x
Reply 2
My first degree is in Genetics - I loved it, found the whole subject facinating... still do!
Reply 3
Fluffy
My first degree is in Genetics - I loved it, found the whole subject facinating... still do!

With genetics you either love it or absolutely hate it....I am the latter! lol
Reply 4
Those currently doing a genetics degree or similar; do u have any ideas what u will do once u have graduated???
Joey12
Those currently doing a genetics degree or similar; do u have any ideas what u will do once u have graduated???

Well, I was considering a career in genetics, at one point. I think biotech is probably the most lucrative field that is related to it.

Edit: Oh! And, if you're ultra-dedicated, you could get a doctorate in genetics, and then a law degree and become a patent attorney and make a fortune.
Reply 6
psychic_satori
Edit: Oh! And, if you're ultra-dedicated, you could get a doctorate in genetics, and then a law degree and become a patent attorney and make a fortune.

Thats pretty much what i was thinking lol! I do Law A Level at the moment and have got 100% in 4/4 modules so far, so hoping that would put me in good stead to do a law degree later!
I think genetics law and the likes will be really at the forefront in years to come (hopefully) so would be good to go down that route but I dont want to rule out medicine or forensics or sumting like that. Its kinda why i went for a genetics degree rather than going straight into law or medicine; i didnt want to jump straight into the deep end like that and those subjects are soooo committed!
Reply 7
Joey12

I did a doctorate, researched for a while and now I'm reading medicine.

Out of my closets friends from my course, one is the head of cancer clinical trials at a London teaching hospital, one is a primary school teacher, two are research scientists,one is a film producer, one did a law conversion and now works in IP and one is a policeman!
Joey12
Thats pretty much what i was thinking lol! I do Law A Level at the moment and have got 100% in 4/4 modules so far, so hoping that would put me in good stead to do a law degree later!
I think genetics law and the likes will be really at the forefront in years to come (hopefully) so would be good to go down that route but I dont want to rule out medicine or forensics or sumting like that. Its kinda why i went for a genetics degree rather than going straight into law or medicine; i didnt want to jump straight into the deep end like that and those subjects are soooo committed!

As GM foods take off more, etc, there will probably be more need for people in that capacity.
Reply 9
Fluffy
I did a doctorate, researched for a while and now I'm reading medicine.

Out of my closets friends from my course, one is the head of cancer clinical trials at a London teaching hospital, one is a primary school teacher, two are research scientists,one is a film producer, one did a law conversion and now works in IP and one is a policeman!

Probably sound really ignorant but whats IP?
Reply 10
Joey12
Probably sound really ignorant but whats IP?

Intellectual property
Reply 11
Guys, I need help. i'm doing a bio project about the effects of citric juices on tooth decay. Do you guys know what tests I could do (other than test for reducing sugars and ph)?
Plz write back!
thanx
M :smile:
Reply 12
How long to you have and do you have to do the experiement or just plan it?

My friend did this for her A-Level project (which was 12 year ago now - blush!) Her mum had kept all her 'baby teeth', so she took a few, put on in a glass of water, on in Jif lemon juice and one in cola. She took photos of them at regular intervals...

Latest

Trending

Trending