The Student Room Group

personal statement for combined honours

i am considering applying for:-
law (lse, kcl, ucl)
law and anthropology (lse)
law and politics (qmul)

is it possible to write a personal statement if applying for different courses without affecting the chances of an offer? if so, how would i structure it to cover all of the courses? :confused:
Reply 1
It'll be difficult, but it's certainly possible. Obviously you want the focus of your PS to be law, but I'd say you can afford to fit in a paragraph each for anthropology and politics, or maybe a combined one if you can think of a way of tying together the reasons you're interested in politics and the reasons you're interested in anthropology. I think universities realise that a lot of people apply for slightly different courses at their different choices, and I doubt that including bits not related to every option would jeopardise your chances with the plain law ones.
Syron
It'll be difficult, but it's certainly possible. Obviously you want the focus of your PS to be law, but I'd say you can afford to fit in a paragraph each for anthropology and politics, or maybe a combined one if you can think of a way of tying together the reasons you're interested in politics and the reasons you're interested in anthropology. I think universities realise that a lot of people apply for slightly different courses at their different choices, and I doubt that including bits not related to every option would jeopardise your chances with the plain law ones.

thanks for the advice :smile:
bringmesunshine
i am considering applying for:-
law (lse, kcl, ucl)
law and anthropology (lse)
law and politics (qmul)

is it possible to write a personal statement if applying for different courses without affecting the chances of an offer? if so, how would i structure it to cover all of the courses? :confused:

I would say it would be loads easier to adapt your personal statement for Law and Politics. Law and anthropology might be a bit difficult. You could talk about politics as an interest without it seeming out of the blue.

Whereas they might suss you out if you begin to talk about anthropology eh!

I managed to write a personal statement for: Law, Law with French, History (x2) and Russian and History. I got offers for all. It's possible.
Jasper.Paterson
I would say it would be loads easier to adapt your personal statement for Law and Politics. Law and anthropology might be a bit difficult. You could talk about politics as an interest without it seeming out of the blue.

Whereas they might suss you out if you begin to talk about anthropology eh!

I managed to write a personal statement for: Law, Law with French, History (x2) and Russian and History. I got offers for all. It's possible.

thats impressive! how did you manage to structure that?
and im struggling as to how i could link law and anthropology :confused:
bringmesunshine
thats impressive! how did you manage to structure that?
and im struggling as to how i could link law and anthropology :confused:

I literally don't know how I managed to do it, I made it seem as though I was only explaining relevance the subjects I do at A Level; Law, French, History etc.

I wouldn't know where to begin either. What subjects do/will you do at A Level?
Jasper.Paterson
I literally don't know how I managed to do it, I made it seem as though I was only explaining relevance the subjects I do at A Level; Law, French, History etc.

I wouldn't know where to begin either. What subjects do/will you do at A Level?

law,psychology,maths,chemistry
+ further maths next year along with the subjects i do at A2

im starting to worry that they won't be very appropriate :/
Maybe you could tie it in through talking about Psychology. It would be difficult.

I guess you could always have another choice lined up incase you can't do it. Law and Politics at LSE maybe?
Reply 8
Mine was mainly economics and how it related to histoy, even though at one university I was appling purely for economics. Just make sure to mention everything. My friend was applying for many different courses (history, economics, politics and sociology) and although he only mentioned economics in one sentence, got an offer for an economics related course. The only thing you can do is try.
i didn't think LSE did law and politics? it certainly isn't in the prospectus.
this is all so confusing and especially as its so competitive its starting to worry me. i've read elsewhere that for LSE you need an amazing ps :frown:
Montarnna
Mine was mainly economics and how it related to histoy, even though at one university I was appling purely for economics. Just make sure to mention everything. My friend was applying for many different courses (history, economics, politics and sociology) and although he only mentioned economics in one sentence, got an offer for an economics related course. The only thing you can do is try.

that makes me a little more optimistic, especially as mine all have law in common :smile: thankyou
Hi, I am considering applying for politics and french and was just wondering how you linked your two subjects in your opening statement? Or if you explained how they would be compatible together? I'm struggling a bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending