The Student Room Group

English coursework... teacher cheating? help please.

Hi :-) I'm new here but don't disregard my post just because I'm a 'noob.' I seriously need help. I don't know if this is the right section of the forums to post this in, and I'm very sorry if its not.

Ok I'll start with a little background info on my situation so you know what's going on. I am in year 10 but my school does this 'accelerated' program where the brightest pupils do their exams a year early. So technically I am doing year 11 work.
So, all of our english coursework had to be handed in recently. I got a B overall in my coursework, but my teacher told me he thinks I could do better than that. (I got the highest KS3 results in my year so everyone things I should get A*s in everything. It gets a bit annoying actually.)
He decided to tell me this on the day that our coursework marks had to be sent off to the exam board. He told me that the actual work itself didn't need to be sent until a couple of weeks later, and said that he could change my mark to an A and send that off if I edited my coursework to an A standard in the next week or so. This happened yesterday.
At the time I just agreed and didn't really think about it. But I've been thinking about it and I know it's probably not allowed and is 'cheating.' And I know I would feel bad in the future, knowing that I only got the mark I did because of cheating. And I've decided I don't want to do it. But I think the teacher has already sent the marks to the exam board. What should I do? I could just change my coursework like the teacher wants me to do. But then I know I'll feel bad about it later.
I'm thinking of asking the teacher if he can change my mark back to what it was originally. But the thing is I'm pretty sure he's already sent the marks to the exam board. Is there a way that he could contact them, and maybe thell them there was a mistake or something and change my marks? I'm really worrying about this now...
Also, if the exam board find out about it, will it mean I could be disqualified and lose all my GCSEs? I've heard that happens if they accuse you of 'misconduct.'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would it be cheating to improve your coursework before the deadline?
Surely if he's not doing the work for you it's not cheating?
fayola1337
I am in year 10 but my school does this 'accelerated' program where the brightest pupils do their exams a year early.

For what reason does school do that?
Reply 4
Just edit it, the deadline hasn't passed for the work to be sent, if your teacher thinks your capable then, just do it. Yours may not even be sent off, its purely random on whos get sent

Does that mean you've done all work (all courseworks in 1 year), as im pretty sure most schools dont do that.
Reply 5
It isn't cheating.

Plus, your work may not even be sent off. Marks are sent off, then the exam board requests the work of a certain number of candidates. Usually for a class of 20-30, every 4th persons coursework is sent.

However, if yours is sent off, and the standard is lower than the mark, then you risk everyone in your class/year having their mark reduced if the other work sent off is also of a lower standard.
Do you want that guilt to be with you forever?
Many of your friends and classmates will fail in life because of what you'll have done.

So you'd better improve your coursework.

Of course, I'm joking, but come on, your post is so naive.
OMG all our teachers are such cheats! lol. My english teacher had other people copying essays of each other last week. She sent all our marks off and gave everyone good marks and then the people that coursework got called for she made them do it up to the standard they needed too.. and if they hadnt done the cw.. she used someone elses :O so a couple of people got A for coursework.. who hadn't actually done an essay at all. It's so unfair when i worked hard for my essay :frown: Plus she had someone copying some of my work word for word.

What your teacher has done isn't exactly cheating. He obviously feels you will be able to improve it in time. If you don't then don't worry about it too much they aren't going to punish you! If your coursework gets called for.. and its only B grade when your put down for an A then the examiner will simply change it and put it down to your teacher over marking you. It's not your fault at all! Don't worry! All that matters is that its your work whatever grade! I hope you do well! xx
Reply 7
Guys I think the point the OP is making is that their teacher has already changed the grade and given them time to rewrite their coursework even though it is not yet said grade.

Yes technically it is 'cheating' to change your grade before you've actually written it to that standard, but if he thinks you're capable of getting an A he obviously trusts you and you probably should just rewrite it and not worry.
Reply 8
I did all my English work to a C/B level in my first year of GCSE's, and nearly our whole year was kept behind to improve it to a decent level, mine is now at A/A* level...

Coursework is never down to the first mark you get a GCSE, I did like no Media coursework but ended up working my ass off in the last term to bump it up to a A, my teacher told me what I needed to do to improve, that's called teaching, then I did it and my grade got better! Voila..
Reply 9
LOL all teachers give their students a nudge in the right direction its fine hun dont fret, did you know they're not even supposed to tell you the grade you get? they are REALLY strict about that in my school they are super tight lipped and won't give any indication about where your CW stands grade wise, they'll just ghost mark and say good or bad. However I'v had to take english lit. a-level at a different college because it clashed in my school's timetable with economics which is another subject i do, and the college I do english at now has no problem in telling me predicted grades/ CW grades and was quite surprised when I was told I got 100% on my english lit. CW! so seriously i would not worry about "cheating" or whatever most people...(well apart from people at my school apparently!?) get a nudge in the right direction with CW and if your teacher gave you the chance to get that B to an A take it, public examinations like GCSEs and A-levels are just platforms to help you to get into the courses/careers you really want to do and yopu should aim to do the best in them so that you can get the best options!
who even cares ur getting an A as if anyone would feel bad
Reply 11
keep your mouth shut and get your head down
morals go out the window if he'll let you boost your grade
the difference between the sight of a B and the sight of an A is HUGE.
It's not an exam or anything, you can still improve it. I suggest you take the chance he's giving you.
Meenapixi
LOL all teachers give their students a nudge in the right direction its fine hun dont fret, did you know they're not even supposed to tell you the grade you get? they are REALLY strict about that in my school they are super tight lipped and won't give any indication about where your CW stands grade wise, they'll just ghost mark and say good or bad. However I'v had to take english lit. a-level at a different college because it clashed in my school's timetable with economics which is another subject i do, and the college I do english at now has no problem in telling me predicted grades/ CW grades and was quite surprised when I was told I got 100% on my english lit. CW! so seriously i would not worry about "cheating" or whatever most people...(well apart from people at my school apparently!?) get a nudge in the right direction with CW and if your teacher gave you the chance to get that B to an A take it, public examinations like GCSEs and A-levels are just platforms to help you to get into the courses/careers you really want to do and yopu should aim to do the best in them so that you can get the best options!

OMG, I had no idea you're not supposed to know your mark for coursework! Every teacher I've ever had has told me my mark. Odd.
Reply 14
Get your head down and improve that B! He's giving you a chance, so take it. I don't see what the problem is, he clearly knows you can do better. I wish my teachers were that nice. :frown:
Reply 15
Kattykitkat
Guys I think the point the OP is making is that their teacher has already changed the grade and given them time to rewrite their coursework even though it is not yet said grade.

Thank you for being the first person to get that. That's what I meant. I don't mind improving my coursework, but it's just that he's told them I've got an A when I actually haven't yet.
The main reason I was worrying about it was because the teacher himself said he didn't think it was legal. xD

But thanks for the advice everyone. I do feel a bit stupid now for worying but it's best to be absolutely sure.
Reply 16
xmarilynx
OMG, I had no idea you're not supposed to know your mark for coursework! Every teacher I've ever had has told me my mark. Odd.

*nods* its true...THE WHOLE COUNTRY CHEATS!!!! LMAO!...with the exception being my 1950s, prude, girl's school. bummer for me.
Reply 17
You have to change it now - you've already agreed to "cheating". If you don't, and it's moderated, then your whole classes' marks will go down drastically
So for the good of everyone just do what he says
Reply 18
OMG the teachers helping you take it m8 ur lucky hes a nice guy !
Reply 19
In year 10 we did enspector calls coursework. My teacher hinted me it was an A- then I improved and it went to an A*. I had no idea though that the teachers can't tell you your marks. I actually ask them for my marks lol

Latest