The Student Room Group

Switching degrees after you have applied?

Unfortunately, I was unable to apply for medicine when I was doing my UCAS this year. So I opted for a subject along a similar line (pharmacology). My question is with my firm and insurance choices is there any way if I get the required grades that I can later switch into medicine? I know that post-grad would be one way to go but I fear that it would not be financially viable for me. I would love some advice :smile:. Because I think I will regret not at the very least trying to get onto medicine. And with the changing A-level syllabus I don’t know what the requirement will be next year.
Reply 1
Usually it's possible, but medicine is so competitive that you can't.
Reply 2
Hmm, so would recommend IF I was to get the results?
Reply 3
sammysam
Hmm, so would recommend IF I was to get the results?
No, you stand no chance whatsoever of transferring into a medicine course from anything else. If you get good grades, you could consider withdrawing from your offers this year and reapplying next, but of course there are no guarantees that you would get an offer for medicine if you did. For a start, you would have to make sure you had relevant work experience. You also need a really good personal statement.
Reply 4
many thanks
Reply 5
sammysam
many thanks
Check out the Medicine forum - there'll be much more detailed information there -

Latest