Haruhi
2sin^2x = 2- (root 3)cosx

you use the identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to find sin^2x
sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x

you substitute this into the equation to turn it all to cos x

so

2(1-cos^2x) = 2 - (root 3)cos x
2-2cos^2x = 2 - (root 3)cos x

get all the cos x on one side and numbers on the other side.

(root 3)cosx + 2cos^2x = 0

let cosx = Y

2(y^2) + root3 (Y) = 0

a = 2 b=root3 c=0

-root3 +- squareroot of (3-0) all divided by 4

-root3 + root3 all over 4 = 0
-root3 - root3 all over 4 = - root3 / 2

cos-1 0 = 90
cos-1 -root3 / 2 = 150

OMG I JUST PROVED MYSELF WRONG O__O. I am such an idiot! >< I probably punched in the wrong numbers T__T

it was cos -1 (root3/2)
which is 30
Reply 101
Can someone go through how they did 7x=2x+17^x = 2^{x+1}

That was the only question on the paper that I was totally stuck on, not a clue! Got x to be 1.81 ¬_¬
Reply 102
definite_maybe
:frown: I got something like 2750.

yep i got 2750 aswell
Reply 103
Pretence
does any1 remember what they got for the sum of the first 50 terms ? ( 2nd part of that question - a= 6, d=2 )

Was it 149?
Reply 104
definite_maybe

a = 6
d = 2

S = 25(12 + 98) = 25 x 110 = 2750

Reply 105
Maximald
Was it 149?

nope .. i got 2750 when a=6 and d=2 using 1/2n(2a+(n-1)d) formula
Reply 106
Graham22
nope .. i got 2750 when a=6 and d=2 using 1/2n(2a+(n-1)d) formula

I think 149 was the answer for the geometric progression.
Reply 107
Andylol
Can someone go through how they did 7x=2x+17^x = 2^{x+1}

That was the only question on the paper that I was totally stuck on, not a clue! Got x to be 1.81 ¬_¬

using log laws.
xlog 7 = (x+1) log 2
x log 7 = xlog 2 + log2
x log 7 - xlog 2 = log 2
x(log 7 - log 2) = log 2
so x = log 2/(log 7 - log 2)
which gives x = 0.553
The paper was difficult at times but overall okay.

Mr M is a school teacher so he will not be able to post the answers up until about 4-5pm.

That's why I'm going to play Need for Speed Undercover on PS3 until then...:cool:

I really want to see these answers though...:yep:
Reply 109
definite_maybe

Yeah, thats what I got too. I think it was a decent paper overall, although I completely messed up the perimeter question, and only ended up finding the length r and moved on to the next question. What a horrible lapse !

My answers are the same as the majority of people here, so hopefully I did well.
Reply 110
if my answers weren't to 3 significant figures, how many marks would i lose??
Reply 111
damek
if my answers weren't to 3 significant figures, how many marks would i lose??

1 for each time, probably.
Reply 112
dannycarr1
6. dy/dx of a curve = 3x^2 + a where a is a constant
crosses at coords: (-1, 2) and (2, 17)

Can someone quickly explain this 8 marker?
I couldnt see how to do it at all :/

Substitute one take away the other...

Why on earth was it worth an entire 8 marks? I pretty much ****** up the log questions too, and I'm not sure why - didn't go so bad in revision... Does anyone remember what they were? Would be nice to check on wolfram|alpha or something.
Reply 113
*Mathematician*
The paper was difficult at times but overall okay.

Mr M is a school teacher so he will not be able to post the answers up until about 4-5pm.

That's why I'm going to play Need for Speed Undercover on PS3 until then...:cool:

I really want to see these answers though...:yep:

I agree :p: there is no point refreshing this thread every 5 minutes like I have been doing :rolleyes: hehe
Maximald
I agree :p: there is no point refreshing this thread every 5 minutes like I have been doing :rolleyes: hehe

I'm a really good thinker you see...:cool:

Why else would I get 11 on that last question in Core 1 and do pretty well today I hope...:yep:
Ejit
1 for each time, probably.

I don't think you would. The front said to 3 sig fig or to a suitable figure. As long as you didn't copy out the entire calclulate figure, you should only lose marks for when it was specifically stated to be 3 sig fig.
Reply 116
i rekon i got about 60/72. any1 no roughly the boundaries for an A
Reply 117
definite_maybe
I don't think you would. The front said to 3 sig fig or to a suitable figure. As long as you didn't copy out the entire calclulate figure, you should only lose marks for when it was specifically stated to be 3 sig fig.

Sorry, that's what I thought he meant.

If you use fractions or surds your answers are obviously more accurate, so you'd get those marks, and yeah as long as you include some decimals you should get marks for being close(or more accurate).
guys i did like every single pastpaper for this CORE 2 but i think it was the hardest paper ,,,, does any1 think that grade bounderies should become lower for this paper i knw i lost abt 18 marks garunteeed
Reply 119
raj_mostwanted
guys i did like every single pastpaper for this CORE 2 but i think it was the hardest paper ,,,, does any1 think that grade bounderies should become lower for this paper i knw i lost abt 18 marks garunteeed

same.. i did every past paper and was getting high 80s and 90 % everytime
i hope the boundaries are lowered

Latest

Trending

Trending