The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

When i went on the open day, they said they usually prioritise the final years for Lakeside so they can work on campus, i can't remember anything being said about prioritising international students.

I'd just love to be able to have my own shower and toilet. What happens in standard if somebody has been ill on the loo?! It may be a bit mingin, plus I love having long showers, I wouldn't fancy having flat mates walk in to the shower room to use the loo while i'm in there either. I like my privacy.

Ayo2006 - have you sent off your application for Lakeside yet?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
An official Aston thread - Great!

I've opted for standard accomodation - lakeside's just no big deal. The en-suite looks tiny and nowhere near worth the extra.

course: Chem eng. with applied chem. (BBB)

a 9-DAY freshers week?? YAY!!!!
Reply 22
i havent even confirmed Aston as my firm choice yet. i still need convincing to go there but I most probably will!!!

---------------------------------
The Aston Crew 2005
caffecooki
thunderstorm
al-ien
neems
xxCharlottexx
elizabeth86
CrazyChemist
ayo2006
Well if your doing Accounting for Management of course Aston's gonna be the best. It's one of the best in the country!! Thats why i'm going. Plus its in a fantastic city, its small and has a great atmosphere already AND we're all gonna be there!!
You shouldnt need convincing. The only bad thing i found with Aston was its accommodation.
Does anybody know how many hours we have to do a week at Aston?? Somewhere I heard it 20 hrs!!! Surely that can't be right?!?!
xxCharlottexx
Does anybody know how many hours we have to do a week at Aston?? Somewhere I heard it 20 hrs!!! Surely that can't be right?!?!

i think i was told 10 hours :confused: probs varies from course to course :smile:
Reply 26
Has any1 holding Aston as their firm acceptance sent their accomodation forms off already?
Yeah, i've got Aston as my firm choice and i sent my form off a few weeks ago. Are you going to Aston too then? I f you are, what are you gonna study??
ive got firm choice, had my form for ages but finaly sent it on fri!
Reply 29
yea same here confirmed aston as my firm on thursday!!

jus worried about da grades now......

How long before Aston send out accomodation forms when you confirm them as ur first choice?

-------------------------------
The Aston Crew 2005
caffecooki
thunderstorm
al-ien
neems
xxCharlottexx
elizabeth86
CrazyChemist
Patsyxx
ayo2006
-----------------------

Firm: Aston: Accounting for Management(ABB)
Insurance: Brunel: Accounting and Finance(BCC)

Declined: Uni of Birmingham(ABB/BBB)
Declined: Hertfordshire University(CCC)

Rejected: LSE(ABB)
Rejected: City Univeristy(BBC)
----------------------------------
i got my confirmation letter from ucas, then after that it was a week and i got the accomodation form.
Reply 31
Just thought i'd copy and paste my personal statement that got Aston to give me an offer.

I am fascinated by the workings of the global economy and the individual practices of firms
and this passion has led me to want to pursue the study of Accounting at University. I
believe that to be successful in the business world requires a solid foundation of analytical
skills, numerical skills and the ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively, which
I believe I have acquired whilst studying Law, Mathematics and Economics. I am particularly
attracted to the four-year sandwich course as it offers me exemptions from professional
examining bodies, vital work experience and a chance to work in real life situations, which I
believe will be invaluable and aid me in my subsequent career.

For my work experience I worked with a heat engineering company and was given a great deal of
responsibility. My time was divided into various departments such as the customer service
department, finance department and balancing accounts with the cashiers. This experience
provided me with a greater understanding of the basic skills required of an accountant and
introduced me to techniques such as cash balance appraisal, budgetary control and current
cost accounting. As a result I discovered the importance of personal responsibility and
adaptability to new environments.

I have been a volunteer for the Help the Aged initiative, which involved raising money for
charity and have also been elected form representative. This position entailed me acting on
the views and grievances of my year group, which propelled me to a higher level of
responsibility.

I regularly keep up to date with current economic affairs by reading 'The Economist' and
browsing through the 'Financial Times.'
During my free time I am an ardent reader of books, especially those written by my favourite
author, Iain Banks. In order to keep up to date with recent news I like to read 'The
Guardian' newspaper as well as watching political television programmes such as Question Time
and Newsnight. In college I relish taking part in general knowledge competitions. As a
naturally inquisitive person, I have read several introductory books on philosophy, which I
found very stimulating as I always seek explanations and ask "Why?" at every opportunity.

I am a keen sportsman, especially in athletics. I have run for my local club Newham and Essex
Beagles since the age of twelve. Since then I have competed in various athletics competition,
ranging from the grassroots athletics to the national competitions. Along the way I have
gained various medals as well as trophies for outstanding team achievement. As a vice captain
I have a role whereby I get athlete's ideas across to the chairman and I am involved in
decision making such as picking and selecting a team to compete.

I appreciate the breadth and structure of an Accountancy degree and strongly believe I have
the motivation and determination to study this for the next four years and make a valuable
contribution to your institution.

The Aston Crew 2005
caffecooki
thunderstorm
al-ien
neems
xxCharlottexx
elizabeth86
CrazyChemist
Patsyxx
ayo2006
-----------------------

my ps was really stupid but i got an offer from aston within a week of ucas getting my application, cant find it tho.
Did many of you do any extra curricular activities through school or have much work experience?
i did primary reading (helping year 2 kids at a primary school read, lol) and i was a form rep for a year 7 form all this year. other than those i didnt do anything .. made up i went skiing a lot (used to go to dry ski slope lol) and that i went to the gym (like twice in the last 4 yrshaha :biggrin:)
Reply 35
Aston - Business and Management (320p)

All's going well so far with my grades, only got the three exam days left and thats it. Havent left myself much to do to get the grades so hopefully if all goes well ill be at Aston in September. \o/
Reply 36
hi Alchemy!

Ive worked in sports soccer which is the worst place to work in. I dont even wanna talk about it! LOL

HOWS EVERYONES REVSION/EXMAS COMING ON?

I dont start my exams till next week and I finish towards the end of June.

To be honest its what i get in Maths that will determine whether or not Aston accept me really coz my other two subjects are ok!

The Aston Crew 2005
caffecooki
thunderstorm
al-ien
neems
xxCharlottexx
elizabeth86
CrazyChemist
Patsyxx
Alchemy
ayo2006
-----------------------

I'm really worried about my exams at the moment. got 9 more exams over the next 2 weeks n haven't done much revision. A-levels are SO boring now, just hope I make it to Aston!!!
Reply 38
Hi new to the site and hopefully going to Aston in October to do International Business and Economics, its my firm choice.

i want to stay in the standard accommodation to save money

i needed to get into contact with other ppl as my exams are going badly

hows everyone elses????
Reply 39
I need 43,45 and 9 out of 90 to make me grades \o/

Latest