The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

moonshine_1991
I shouldn't think so. Do you even need quotes? I did not use any las year and still got an A.

Really? Our teacher told us that quotes were absolutely necessary if you wanted an A or even a good B. And at least one per paragraph...

Hmm.

Well, I've learnt some anyway. It shouldn't do any harm sticking em in.

Has anybody ever got full marks for an essay?
Reply 61
_summer09_
Really? Our teacher told us that quotes were absolutely necessary if you wanted an A or even a good B. And at least one per paragraph...

Hmm.

So nearly almost! My teacher actually said to me though he just doesn't like to give full marks so I got 19. He took a mark off seeing as as I spelt William Beveridge wrong....

For quotes we just got told to try and get one in the conclusions and preferably one in the development. I've only been bothered to remember conclusion ones though and still get A's on my essays.
We never got told to use quotes, I don't think its necessary but it's something that if you can produce will get you brownie points with the marker.

The highest I've had for an essay is 17/20, and that wasn't timed - I wrote it in about an hour and a half at home. The most anyone has ever gotten in our class for a timed essay is 13/20 and I'm always over 10 but under 14, haha. In the prelim everyone either failed, got a C or scraped a B - only one boy got an A by about 2%. Apparently our teachers mark us harshly to try and push us to work harder - I know one guy in 6th year doing AH history and he said that he had the same sort of thing - only ever getting 12 for essays in class but then in the final he got a 17/20 and an 18/20. *shrugs* So really I have no idea what I will be getting in the final - perhaps a B like in my prelim or maybe I'll have the same story as my friend and do really well, either way I don't mind. I don't really need history xD;
I only know what I got for the first part of the prelim - paper 2
I got an A, but I don't know about the essays for my prelim :s-smilie:

Anyone else doing - Britain 1850s -1979 and Growth of Nationalism (Germany) ?
Reply 64
Hey
Is it okay just to learn welfare (liberal and labour) essays for Britain?
Will they alway come up?
And will learning the new deal and republicans party policies be okay for America because I'm really struggling and don't think i could possibly learn any more!!
Please help me :smile:
I wasn't sure about that
But I just looked and at least one of those always does come up, so if you have a good essay for them then go for it

Personally im going to study democracy for my essay, but thats mainly becos I find it less boring so hopefully a good question for it comes up:p:
Last year in the final Higher History exam, my mate got dropped 2 marks in paper 1, 1 mark in paper 2 and got 29/30 for her extended essay. 96/100. Pretty impressive by anyone's standards tbh. Bless!
xandertho
Last year in the final Higher History exam, my mate got dropped 2 marks in paper 1, 1 mark in paper 2 and got 29/30 for her extended essay. 96/100. Pretty impressive by anyone's standards tbh. Bless!

wow very impressive! :biggrin: Well done to her! :cool:
NinjaBread
I only know what I got for the first part of the prelim - paper 2
I got an A, but I don't know about the essays for my prelim :s-smilie:

Yep :smile: I really want a what led to the rise of the Nazis question and a Welfare State/ suffragettes :smile:

I'm doing the Cold War too.
Im not feeling very confident about this exam theres just soo much stuff I need to know :s-smilie:

Suffragist movement
Democracy
Labour
Liberal
Nazi State
Weimar

And for each theres just so many questions for it I just really don't feel prepared :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
NinjaBread

Yeah, I'm doing that too. Fun. Am attempting to revise stuff for democracy/women and nationalism/unification. Hopefully that'll be enough.....

And we're doing appeasement for Paper 2. I hate source questions. They seem so pointless
_summer09_
Yeah, I'm doing that too. Fun. Am attempting to revise stuff for democracy/women and nationalism/unification. Hopefully that'll be enough.....

And we're doing appeasement for Paper 2. I hate source questions. They seem so pointless

Im doing appeasement too
But they aren't that difficult, and alot of the stuff you need to know for it is common sense really
NinjaBread
Im doing appeasement too
But they aren't that difficult, and alot of the stuff you need to know for it is common sense really

How much roughly do you write per question? For paper 2?
Clarky-x
I have :woo: ! It was on how effective the Liberal Reforms were, and I didn't use any quotes for it. I was chuffed haha

For the exam on Tuesday I only have one quote which is about Hitler, and it was one which I used in my extended essay. From what I've been told I don't think quotes are essential in getting an A, it shows the examiner that you have a knowledge of other historians views and it might bring you from a B to an A grade, but essentially it's down to what you write which should be a well structured and logically argued essay.

Don't suppose you fancy posting your essay here? Would be muchly grateful:smile:
One page of standard lined A4 in timed conditions. In the exam with that stupid lined paper it will probs be about 23 pages! Jokes, 1 1/2.
Reply 75
So far I know both of the Liberal Reform essays and the Democracy one for Britain - one of these is guaranteed to come up. For USA the Large Scale State I know reasons for hostility to immigration and reasons for growth of the Civil Rights movement. I'm going to find another essay for the USA and I need to practise the source questions tomorrow - only got 15/30 for them in the prelim.
_summer09_
How much roughly do you write per question? For paper 2?

I write about half a page, and about 3/4 of a page for the 8 marker question
_summer09_

Hmm.

Quotes are needed for AH, so maybe your teacher is preparing you for that this year so if you take it next year it won't be such a shock.
Jackie0hh
Hey
Is it okay just to learn welfare (liberal and labour) essays for Britain?
Will they alway come up?
And will learning the new deal and republicans party policies be okay for America because I'm really struggling and don't think i could possibly learn any more!!
Please help me :smile:

I very much hope that a labour or liberal essay will come up, I have learned them quite thoroughly but our teacher told us to prepare a women and the vote essay just in case! I don't know... if I have time I might try to skim over it. :s-smilie:

On the subject of quotes/historiography, our teacher is crazy about it, she's a marker and advised us to use a quote for each point/paragraph.. However, I remember the bitesize history 'agony aunt' or whatever saying that you don't actually need historiography in your essays bla bla bla.. I use about 5 quotes in my essays since I don't find them that bad to memorise.
Reply 79
burgerchips
I very much hope that a labour or liberal essay will come up, I have learned them quite thoroughly but our teacher told us to prepare a women and the vote essay just in case! I don't know... if I have time I might try to skim over it. :s-smilie:

On the subject of quotes/historiography, our teacher is crazy about it, she's a marker and advised us to use a quote for each point/paragraph.. However, I remember the bitesize history 'agony aunt' or whatever saying that you don't actually need historiography in your essays bla bla bla.. I use about 5 quotes in my essays since I don't find them that bad to memorise.

Don't worry a Liberal question is always there, be it reasons for the reforms or how effective they were.

Latest

Trending

Trending