The Student Room Group

Higher History 2009

I searched for a thread like this but nobody seems to have made one :frown:

Who is sitting Higher History this year?

Exam is less than a fortnight away. Better getting bashing away. lol. I'm covering Britain, USA and Patterns of Migration for the source questions.

Essays I'm fine with. Sources I'm dreading.

How are everybody's studies going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am. And i'm COMPLETELY stressing out.

I've just realised that i know nothing about The Growth of Nationalism... :eek3:
Reply 2
I crashed Higher this year and I cant wait until I get shot of it next year.

I'm doing Medieval, which is fairly interesting stuff but the Crusades & sources kill me >__<

No idea how to revise, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, after Mod Studs on Monday...
We do the whole Germany/Nazis thing, the Cold War and Britain 1870-1970. I'm praying for good Nazis and Welfare State questions.

I have three exams in the one week though- History on the Tuesday, then Chemistry on Wednesday and Spanish on the Friday. :eek3:
Reply 4
KatMizzle
I am. And i'm COMPLETELY stressing out.

SAME.. and still finding it difficult to begin studying.
I'm doing Britain and Russia for the essays, and Cold War for source questions. Hoping for a good welfare state question for Britain and a 1917 (October preferably) Revolution question for Russia!
Reply 5
Claireyfairey223
We do the whole Germany/Nazis thing, the Cold War and Britain 1870-1970. I'm praying for good Nazis and Welfare State questions.

I have three exams in the one week though- History on the Tuesday, then Chemistry on Wednesday and Spanish on the Friday. :eek3:

Well I have History on the tuesday and Computing and Classics on the thursday!
Reply 6
We done Britain and the Germany, and Appeasement for Sources.

Appeasement is ok if the basic facts are remembered. Essay questions are proving difficult. Hoping for a good Female Suffrage and German Unification essay! :biggrin: (yn)
Reply 7
My plan of action:

1) Learn "how" and "why" democracy essays (8 quotes).
2) Learn "why" women's essay (4 quotes).
3) Learn the 2 Nazi essays (8 quotes).

4) Revise reasons for appeasement (general, SCW, AA, etc.)
5) Revise policies (Chamberlain's, Hitler's, etc.)

To be honest, I don't think there is much else. I've already fully written all these essays with quotes, so it's just a case of learning the key points and being able to expand on them (pretty much can do this already). The reasons for appeasement are all pretty straightforward and similar, just a case of memorising. The policies are a little bit more tricky I guess.

Hopefully I've scored well on my extended essay (25+/30) which will give me some more time for no revision :smile:
Reply 8
I am also dreading the source questions... i always seem to grasp the wrong idea of what the source is actually saying which then, makes my recall wrong...

as for the essays- ive done heaps of practise but my teacher gives me b's... anyone got any wise tips on how to get an A in an essay?! It seems impossible!
Reply 9
i really struggle with my timings in both the essay and source papers...

does anyone have any tips for sorting that out?
and how many points do you really need to be making for each essay, what should i aim for?

thanks
Reply 10
I'm starting to dread it now. I'm heading to Edinburgh for a few days so thats precious study time away :woo:

kittykatty7
i really struggle with my timings in both the essay and source papers...

does anyone have any tips for sorting that out?
and how many points do you really need to be making for each essay, what should i aim for?

thanks

Maybe for essays you should write out a plan?That way you won't stop and think for too long. Thats what I do :smile:

And for the second question, it really depends...its what you know!
Reply 11
I did immigration for my extended essay, so I'm good at that.

However, I do not have a clue what an urbanization essay needs to include/doesn't need.

Could someone make a quick plan, just like one sentence indicating what each paragraph should be about for a typical urbanization essay.

Thanks, I will be forever grateful. :yep:
Not positive as I'm not really that strong on this topic, But I think the main areas are:

- Growth of commercial entertainment
- Growth of spectator sports
- Growth of participation in sports
- Growth of State Education
- Rough culture (pub, gambling etc..)
- Sectarianism
- Rational Recreation (libraries, parks, museums...)
- Secularisation

Apart from that I'm really not sure how you'd write the essay...
Reply 13
Ok thanks.

Do you need to know much about the education and housing acts, etc?
Was wondering if anyone had any decent notes on Democracy for Higher History, would be very much appreciated as mines are weak.
Reply 15
I have some I will PM them to you. I only have notes on how democratic though, so if anybody has any on why Britain became a democracy that would be a great help :biggrin: ?
*c* that would be brilliant, but yeah as you say if anyone has notes on why britain became a democracy that would also help!
Argh, the exam is 5 days away and I've yet to start my revision. EEEK.
I think my plan is to learn 3 essays today and tomorrow, and then do all the sourcework on Sunday and Monday.
I'm studying Germany 1815-1945, Britain 1870-1951, and Appeasement and the Road to War. It's a load of crap, honestly.
I have notes on factors which influenced the extension of the franchise up to 1918 if that helps?
Yeah I'm sitting it and I'm absolutely bricking it!! It's my hardest subject - I just scraped a B in the prelim and it was the subject I revised the most for. I've never had any higher than 12/20 for a timed essay lol, I have no hope. Either way I'll still try my best! I'm learning;

1) Democracy HOW and WHY essay types
2) Labour Reforms essay
3) Bismarck and the Kaiser Domestic policy essay
4) Bismarck and the Kaiser Foreign policy essay (I've never even seen a question on this from previous years!)
5) Weimar Republic essay
6) Appeasement and the Road to War source questions

Latest