The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i would agree thats is not water borne but the water plays an important part in the spreading.
Reply 41
spoony2oo8
i would agree thats is not water borne but the water plays an important part in the spreading.

Yes :smile: Now, off to study malaria!
Reply 42
Would anyone agree with me that we have a high chance in a compulsory Atmosphere question on Currents? There has'nt been a Currents question since 04.

I would go with Hydrosphere and Lithosphere being optional, which is a kick in the teeth as there is tonnes to talk about in Lithosphere, suited to a high mark compulsory...
Reply 43
Could someone tell me, when killing the mosquito larvae with 'bti' where coconuts are thrown into the water, is the bti added to the coconuts or is it naturally occurring in coconuts?

Also, drugs like quinine and chloroquin - are they used for prevention or treatment? My notes aren't that clear on this.

Thanks
knack
Could someone tell me, when killing the mosquito larvae with 'bti' where coconuts are thrown into the water, is the bti added to the coconuts or is it naturally occurring in coconuts?

Also, drugs like quinine and chloroquin - are they used for prevention or treatment? My notes aren't that clear on this.

Thanks

treatment , i think
but there **** due to phchotic side effects:yep:
Reply 45
I hope the atmosphere is optional so I can pick the other one, I really hate that topic!
Reply 46
ladyhoot
I hope the atmosphere is optional so I can pick the other one, I really hate that topic!

I hate it too. Atmosphere and biosphere would be nice optional ones for me I'd say.
Reply 47
can anyone explain brown field sites and thier relevance?
yarr da brownfield sitez arr where tha old industry used too bee.
and now itz being regenterated into newer services and flats whylie.
Reply 49
My teacher said that cairngorms and dorset has a fair chance of coming up. What type of question do you think will be in atmosphere? The one about 50% heat energy being recieved? So much to remember! HOw detailed do answers have to be? I write so much yet it just doesn't seem to be enough for full marks!
Reply 50
spoony2oo8
i really hope the biosphere question is sanddunes because i really depise soils =/

Our teacher said it's almost definatly soils. If not then one of those questions where it's half soils and half sand dunes but not sand dunes by itself. I wouldn't complain with him because last year for standard grade he predicted ever question that would come up and got it all right!
Reply 51
OhWhen
Our teacher said it's almost definatly soils. If not then one of those questions where it's half soils and half sand dunes but not sand dunes by itself. I wouldn't complain with him because last year for standard grade he predicted ever question that would come up and got it all right!

Half soils, half sand dunes.. never seen one of them! Has your teacher mentioned any other topics that have a high chance of coming up?
Reply 52
knack
Half soils, half sand dunes.. never seen one of them! Has your teacher mentioned any other topics that have a high chance of coming up?

Nope. That was the only one he mentioned. :frown:
missyq
My teacher said that cairngorms and dorset has a fair chance of coming up. What type of question do you think will be in atmosphere? The one about 50% heat energy being recieved? So much to remember! HOw detailed do answers have to be? I write so much yet it just doesn't seem to be enough for full marks!

Either cairngorms/lake district, dorset or yorkshire dales could come up, but it is usually a choice between any upland area or coasts.

If i remember it was atmospheric circulation that cropped up last year so yeah the earths heat budget has a good chance of coming up, but ocean currents hasn't been a around for a couple of years - the ITCZ was in 2007 so is less likely to appear, shame it's a good one!

I had a problem of writing too much detail and then running out of time, is you try and give yourself a mark or two a minute and limit yourself to how much you spend on each section ie.12/15 mins. Don't waffle, be precise and relevant to the question :smile:
Reply 54
rosie9391
Either cairngorms/lake district, dorset or yorkshire dales could come up, but it is usually a choice between any upland area or coasts.

If i remember it was atmospheric circulation that cropped up last year so yeah the earths heat budget has a good chance of coming up, but ocean currents hasn't been a around for a couple of years - the ITCZ was in 2007 so is less likely to appear, shame it's a good one!

I had a problem of writing too much detail and then running out of time, is you try and give yourself a mark or two a minute and limit yourself to how much you spend on each section ie.12/15 mins. Don't waffle, be precise and relevant to the question :smile:

Thanks! So do you suggest revising the heat budget? I'm honestly getting so stressed. My teacher said she thinks I'll get a C! But I've worked so hard and write in so much detail - don't know what else i could possibly improve on?! And i need an A...and have an advanced higher physics exam tomorrow...=(
Reply 55
Urgh, revising for Geography is soul-destroying. It's boring as hell.

I hope biosphere is optional, otherwise I'll have a fit. I might be one of the few people that actually like atmosphere, so I wouldn't mind that being compulsory. Hydrosphere can be compulsory as long as it asks me the formation of meanders. For the prelim, I spent an age perfecting my meanders descriptions, only for the stupid question to have a gay diagram of a drainage basin that you needed to label.
Reply 56
I can never remember the named examples for the Cairngorms. :frown: The only one I can remember for it is Coire an Lochain because it's pretty much the same as corrie lochan. :P
Reply 57
I think its gonna be a compulsory Atmosphere on Currents then a compulsory Biosphere on Formation of Soils and their charactristics with Hydrosphere and Lithosphere being optional.

As for Human - Rural and Urban as compulsory with Population and Industry being optional.

I hope Urban will be about inner city regeneration and perhaps retail parks etc.
Rural I hope to be Green Revolution and population to be about migration.
missyq
Thanks! So do you suggest revising the heat budget? I'm honestly getting so stressed. My teacher said she thinks I'll get a C! But I've worked so hard and write in so much detail - don't know what else i could possibly improve on?! And i need an A...and have an advanced higher physics exam tomorrow...=(

Yeah heat budget AND ocean currents - they are easy enough though

It just takes practise, if you want you could pm me an answer you have done and i can suggest improvements if need be!
Reply 59
Could someone explain how the exam paper works...
Paper 1 I mean...
do all topics stay as the same question or can they change from being compulsory to optional? they do change don't they? otherwise you could just ignore one cause you knew it was going to be optional?
And can a map question be on any topic?