Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1200 calories, too little?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I've been trying to lose a little weight for a while now, but A levels are making it complicated. I literally have to almost learn two syllabuses in the next three weeks and so I really don't have a lot of spare time!

Obviously, I'm not being very active as a result, other than the odd 20 minute spot of (attempted) HIIT on the exercise bike, but that's probably two times a week max at the moment! I'm already at a healthy weight (BMI around 21) but I have a small frame and a bit of a stomach going on which looks really out of proportion.

Is eating 1200 calories a day (nutritionally balanced, low/no carbs after lunch) a good idea, or too little? I've read a lot of conflicting evidence, some of which says teenage girls should get a minimum of 1500 a day. As I said though, I'm not very active and I'm relatively short (5'4) with a small frame.

If anyone could clear this up I'd be veryyy grateful!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Si.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To the people saying - YES

it still annoys me how you say yes without knowing all the facts. if she's 120lbs or under it's fine.

OP - How much do you currently weigh?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm 4ft11 and i eat more then that
    if you really want to find out how much you should be eating for your height maybe see a dietician?
    if it's your stomach your worried about then try some exercises aimed at your abs. I know you can't spot reduce fat, but it should tone and improve the overall look of them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The OP weighs 121.5 pounds I would assume, as such I would consider 1200 calories to be too little and would advise the OP to up food intake, also it would be wise to make sure the calories are split into macros which are desirable. It should also be noted that BMI is, arguably, for want of a better word ********, as it does not take into account your body fat percentage. It may be advantageous to get this calculated in with your body weight to see how much lean muscle mass you have which will help you with your protein/carb/fat split.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)

OP - How much do you currently weigh?
    About 122lbs, but I do tend to fluctuate between 122 and 125 and have been doing so for WEEKS. i appear to be stuck at 122 now, though.

Juddy - I would get my body fat tested but that would involve going to a gym, wouldn't it? I don't have a membership and can't afford one so that would be pretty difficult. Don't know if this will help but I measure about 36 - 27 (at narrowest point of my waist) - 36. Big legs as well, my thighs are like 21.5 inches! I also have a 32DD chest, so obviously a bit of weight is there, though not huge amounts so I'm not using it as any excuse!

What sort of protein/carb/fat split should I be using? I try to avoid carbs in the evening but still don't know whether I believe that it actually works or not..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yer its stupid just to say yes straight away. It depends mainly how long you intend to stay at 1200kcal for. At your weight, I'd be suprised if you lost weight at 1500kcal, put it that way.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's too little.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1200 is perfectly fine and normal
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_stretch)
    Yer its stupid just to say yes straight away. It depends mainly how long you intend to stay at 1200kcal for. At your weight, I'd be suprised if you lost weight at 1500kcal, put it that way.
    I didn't, so thanks for that.

1,200 kcal might be okay to lose weight on (and it's at the upper limit of a calorie deficit) without any exercise or activity, but once she starts doing any exercise (which ultimately will happen once exams are over, without adjusting calories) it will be far too little.

Trying to lose weight without doing any exercise is a bad idea.

Ergo: too few.

On top of that, it isn't really advisable to limit your food intake and minimise carbs during stressful exam periods. Your brain needs the energy to function. She's inhibiting her own ability to learn.

Plus, she's likely still growing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you're losing weight, 1200 calories is perfect.
    1000 or under is only recommended if you're very overweight.

Calculate your BMR (google it). Once you've got that, take away 500 from the number. That's how many calories you'll eat.
    That's the lazy way, haha.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    About 122lbs, but I do tend to fluctuate between 122 and 125 and have been doing so for WEEKS. i appear to be stuck at 122 now, though.

Juddy - I would get my body fat tested but that would involve going to a gym, wouldn't it? I don't have a membership and can't afford one so that would be pretty difficult. Don't know if this will help but I measure about 36 - 27 (at narrowest point of my waist) - 36. Big legs as well, my thighs are like 21.5 inches! I also have a 32DD chest, so obviously a bit of weight is there, though not huge amounts so I'm not using it as any excuse!

What sort of protein/carb/fat split should I be using? I try to avoid carbs in the evening but still don't know whether I believe that it actually works or not..
    PM me a pic of you, I'm good at determing what BF% people are.

the BEST way to determine your calories, isn't by using some formula/calculator because there are WAY too many variables

count your calories for a few days [of normal eating] so you determine YOUR specific metabolism level

& go by waist measurements [done weekly at same level]

I aim for 1-2/8 loss a week minimum

this is because my weight never really changes when I diet after the intial 3-5lbs loss so I use waist measurement as a better gauge

Also, nutrients are more important than calories

As for splits

the best are

P/C/F 35/30/35 or 40/20/40

I prefer 40/20/40 but people do complain of feeling like **** when dropping that low in carbs

so you may wanna start with 35/30/35 then move to 40/20/40

Carbs at night/cut-off point's - it's an outdated and incorrect method of thinkin'

It misses the point on how carbs are metabolised. It doesn't just get turned into fat if not used right away

it gets stored as glycogen first

so long as your overall levels are decent [and come from slow burning carbs], it's not going to get burnt as fat I tend to have the bulk of mine last thing and it works
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    PM me a pic of you, I'm good at determing what BF% people are.
    Cheers, PMd you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    Cheers, PMd you
    I can't believe that line actually worked. :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2009
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.