The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm dreading it. I can't remember much of unit 3 :frown:
Reply 21
Has anyone noticed, in the past papers, a hard paper is followed by an easy paper, eg. 2006 following 2005, and 2008 following 2007. Does this mean this year might be a hard paper?, Thoughts.....
Yes I really think this year's paper will be hard. I just finished fully revising Unit 1. Hoping to get Unit 2 finished today and then Unit 3 tomorrow!

What I'm doing is: Read through the notes on PDF file on Unit 1, then Virtual Higher Physics Unit 1, then do all the exam style questions on Unit 1 (I got this Higher Physics book from school which has these questions) and then the Leckie and Leckie "Questions in Higher Physics" on Unit 1.

So yeah, if I can do this for the 2 other units before Tuesday. All I'll have to do on Tuesday is re-do 2-3 past papers before exam time. I've done all past papers (from 2001 to 2008) ages ago anyways!

Pretty intensive though, but yeah such is the price for success and it helps when you genuinely like Physics =P
Reply 23
2-3 past papers before exam time, on a tuesday? I take like a whole day to do a past paper, section by section, though.What did you get in the prelims?
Are the multiple choice questions worth two marks each, or just one?
Reply 25
Only one mark, the multiple choice are relatively straight forward don't overestimate them...
Z_Ahmed
2-3 past papers before exam time, on a tuesday? I take like a whole day to do a past paper, section by section, though.What did you get in the prelims?

74% and 87% for first and second prelim respectively.
Z_Ahmed
Only one mark, the multiple choice are relatively straight forward don't overestimate them...

Oh ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if it was like maths.

Damn. Wish it was more marks
Reply 28
Z_Ahmed
Has anyone noticed, in the past papers, a hard paper is followed by an easy paper, eg. 2006 following 2005, and 2008 following 2007. Does this mean this year might be a hard paper?, Thoughts.....

Hopefully it wont be hard :p:
Reply 29
_summer09_
Oh ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if it was like maths.

Damn. Wish it was more marks

But surely if they were worth more (ie. 2 rather than 1) the overall mark would be put up to 110 and then when you work out the overall percentage it would be more or less the same? Or have I overlooked something?
knack
But surely if they were worth more (ie. 2 rather than 1) the overall mark would be put up to 110 and then when you work out the overall percentage it would be more or less the same? Or have I overlooked something?

Well I thought that too first when I wasn't sure if it out was out of 20 or 40. So I tried to work out my percentage with the multiple choice worth one mark and out of 90, then with two marks and out of 110 altogether. I got a couple % more with two marks for multiple choice and out of 110 altogether.

I think, anyway. I may just be being incredibly stupid and can't count
Reply 31
_summer09_
Well I thought that too first when I wasn't sure if it out was out of 20 or 40. So I tried to work out my percentage with the multiple choice worth one mark and out of 90, then with two marks and out of 110 altogether. I got a couple % more with two marks for multiple choice and out of 110 altogether.

I think, anyway. I may just be being incredibly stupid and can't count

Just checked - On the basis that someone originally gets 15/20 and 50/70 they would have 72.2%. If you got two marks for multiple choice they would instead have 72.7%!

So you're right but it probably wouldn't make a huge difference at the end of the day :frown:
Reply 32
Just tried it with lower scores... If you get 10/20 and 40/70 you would have 55.6%. With the extra multiple choice mark you'd have only 54.5%. How strange!
knack
Just tried it with lower scores... If you get 10/20 and 40/70 you would have 55.6%. With the extra multiple choice mark you'd have only 54.5%. How strange!

That's definitely odd. I got 2% more with the /40.:dontknow: It's very strange . . .
Reply 34
Just did the 06 paper and got 70/90, pretty happy done no real revision just read over a few books this morning.

Tomorrow I'm gonna properly learn everything I don't know or aren't as good at, such as op-amps, mosfets and just learning some facts.
It's not strange, it just means if you did better as a percentage in the multi choice than the written section, your mark would go up if multi choice was worth more. It would go down if you did worse.
Reply 36
darkraver
74% and 87% for first and second prelim respectively.

Nice... I got 60% in the first prelim and 82% in second prelim ( unit 3 is my best unit) .

The 06 paper was pretty easy, especially the last section was just easy 8 marks.

The only problem i had in that paper was the question where it asked you to draw an alternative force/time graph for a harder ball, as opposed to the graph in the question which was drawn for a softer ball. CJN did you get that question right?

Also I think a momentum question might come up this year in the written part, the last time it appeared was in the 2003 paper.
Z_Ahmed
Nice... I got 60% in the first prelim and 82% in second prelim ( unit 3 is my best unit) .

The 06 paper was pretty easy, especially the last section was just easy 8 marks.

The only problem i had in that paper was the question where it asked you to draw an alternative force/time graph for a harder ball, as opposed to the graph in the question which was drawn for a softer ball. CJN did you get that question right?

Also I think a momentum question might come up this year in the written part, the last time it appeared was in the 2003 paper.

You're probably right about a momentum coming up in this year's paper.

About that force-time question, it's obvious that a harder ball will have a higher peak force, right?

Since it is a harder ball it doesn't absorb as much impact as the softer ball, hence the graph shape is more symmetric unlike the softer ball where some force is absorbed as the ball touches the force sensor and deforms more in the process and in turn increases contact time with sensor.

I hope this makes it somewhat clearer?
Reply 38
Meteorshower
It's not strange, it just means if you did better as a percentage in the multi choice than the written section, your mark would go up if multi choice was worth more. It would go down if you did worse.

Still don't get that. The percentage for the multi choice would remain the same would it not?
knack
Still don't get that. The percentage for the multi choice would remain the same would it not?

Yes, but since multi choice would affect the overall percentage more, the better you did in it compared to the other section the more you're overall mark would be go up. An extreme example to illustrate this :

Say you got 20/20 and then 0/70 in the multi choice and written section respectively, you'd get 20/90 overall which is 22.2%. If the multiple choice was each worth 2 marks, you'd get 40/110 which is 36.4%. Quite a big difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending