The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
lcmd
For qu. 23b in 2007, I don't understand how you work out the amount of helium that can't be let out of the cylinder (can't be used)

I don't have the papers on me, but if that is the balloon one (where it fills four balloons less than you think) or something like that I got it wrong as well so (not really helpful),

But just thought about it now maybe no more helium can come out of the cylinder when the pressure inside the cylinder is the same as air pressure?
Reply 81
Yeh I understand why the helium can't escape from the cylinder, because it is simply being "let out" and will stop when the pressure inside the cylinder = air pressure, but i'm not sure how you can calculate how much helium is actually left in the cylinder.
Reply 82
lcmd
Yeh I understand why the helium can't escape from the cylinder, because it is simply being "let out" and will stop when the pressure inside the cylinder = air pressure, but i'm not sure how you can calculate how much helium is actually left in the cylinder.

It's just the volume of the cylinder i.e. the 8*10^-2 mentioned at the start of the question.

For 25b(ii), you need to work out the pd across the 220 ohm resistor. This is voltage XY across the capacitor, not the supply voltage :smile:
Reply 83
Would someone mind explaining 2005 Q14?
Reply 84
knack
Would someone mind explaining 2005 Q14?

It's just one of those things you're expected to know. When a wave passes into a different medium (i.e. from air into oil) the frequency of the wave remains constant (but the velocity and wavelength change!)
Reply 85
CallumFR
It's just the volume of the cylinder i.e. the 8*10^-2 mentioned at the start of the question.

For 25b(ii), you need to work out the pd across the 220 ohm resistor. This is voltage XY across the capacitor, not the supply voltage :smile:

Oh haha, the answer is staring me in the face. Thanks a lot.
Reply 86
So everyone ready for tomorrow then?

I don't feel like there is anything I don't know, tonight gonna ready up a few notes on buoyancy and some other stuff.

One thing I can't find in my notes is how changing the frequency affects a capacitor. I know frequency has no effect on a resistor, and that it does on a capacitor - I just don't know exactly what.
Reply 87
CallumFR
It's just one of those things you're expected to know. When a wave passes into a different medium (i.e. from air into oil) the frequency of the wave remains constant (but the velocity and wavelength change!)

Hmm I think I even knew that. Just need to read the question more closely maybe and not over complicate it!

Also you say velocity/wavelength change, but why for 16 do they remain the same? Is it due to the refractive index being the same?
Reply 88
CJN
One thing I can't find in my notes is how changing the frequency affects a capacitor. I know frequency has no effect on a resistor, and that it does on a capacitor - I just don't know exactly what.

An increase in frequency results in an increase in the current in a capacitive circuit.

I'm not too worried (yet) about Physics. Still need to finish off some older past papers and read my notes on pn junctions and especially MOSFETs!
Reply 89
knack
but why for 16 do they remain the same? Is it due to the refractive index being the same?

Spot on :p:
Reply 90
I can't seem to get the SQA answer for 25. (C) 2005 Past Paper. They state it is 0.4A. I disagree.

My working:

1/R(total)= 1/15 + 1/30 = 1/10 .. R = 10 ohms

V= 6 V

V=IR .. 6 = I x 10 .. I= 6/10=0.6A

..Hrmm.. could someone tell me the stupid mistake I'm making? :P
Reply 91
CallumFR
An increase in frequency results in an increase in the current in a capacitive circuit.

I'm not too worried (yet) about Physics. Still need to finish off some older past papers and read my notes on pn junctions and especially MOSFETs!

MOSFETs are so crap, but luckily you only really need to know a little and just learn it, not understand it. The only past paper question I have seen was one labelling gate, drain and source - I thought it was easy but got it wrong I put it with source on the top, but its drain on the top.

Ok cheers about the frequency, so is it a curve like this:

All I am concerned about now is some parts of electricity, and PS questions on unit 3. In electricity I sometimes get really confused working the pd across bits etc. - and Unit 3 just isn't my strong point.

Another question, I know that for a balanced wheatstone bridge r1/r2=r3/r4 - when it is out of balance how can you work out the PD across it (in the middle bit)?
St3ve91
I can't seem to get the SQA answer for 25. (C) 2005 Past Paper. They state it is 0.4A. I disagree.

My working:

1/R(total)= 1/15 + 1/30 = 1/10 .. R = 10 ohms

V= 6 V

V=IR .. 6 = I x 10 .. I= 6/10=0.6A

..Hrmm.. could someone tell me the stupid mistake I'm making? :P

1/Rp = 1/R1 + 1/R2
1/Rp = 1/15 + 1/30
1/Rp = 3/30
Rp = 10W

I = E/(Rp + r)
I = 6.0/(10 + 5)
I = 6.0/15
I = 0.4A

CJN
MOSFETs are so crap, but luckily you only really need to know a little and just learn it, not understand it. The only past paper question I have seen was one labelling gate, drain and source - I thought it was easy but got it wrong I put it with source on the top, but its drain on the top.

All I am concerned about now is some parts of electricity, and PS questions on unit 3. In electricity I sometimes get really confused working the pd across bits etc. - and Unit 3 just isn't my strong point.

Another question, I know that for a balanced wheatstone bridge r1/r2=r3/r4 - when it is out of balance how can you work out the PD across it (in the middle bit)?

That graph is incorrect, change in frequency is directly proportional to change in current for a capacitive circuit. So it is a straight line through the origin.
Reply 93
Is anyone else hoping for:

Drawing vectors/working diplacement from the drawing
A huge d/s/t/a/u/v question.
For unit 3 a nice question involving refractive index, critical angles etc.
An easy op-amp question

^Too good to be true IMO I just hope there isn't anything really bad like a bad problem solving or something too hard.
Reply 94
i've done 3 past papers today after my modern studies exam, but now im worried because i have only done those...
i revised loads for both my prelims and got 81% and 87% so hopefully that will be enough...maybe :L
gonna do some scholar now.
x
Reply 95
I=E/(Rp + r) ... Rp = ??? :O
Reply 96
CJN

The graph is a straight line through the origin.

An example question would be useful, because I'm not entirely sure hmm... as far as I know, the change in resistance (i.e. how much out of balance it is) is directly proportional to the potential difference you get (the graph of this comes up in multi choice too).

The easiest way to do it might just to use voltage divide calculations to work out, for example, the pd across R2 and R4. The reading on the voltmeter would then just be the difference between them.

EDIT: Beat by darkraver :P: damn
CJN
Is anyone else hoping for:

Drawing vectors/working diplacement from the drawing
A huge d/s/t/a/u/v question.
For unit 3 a nice question involving refractive index, critical angles etc.
An easy op-amp question

^Too good to be true IMO I just hope there isn't anything really bad like a bad problem solving or something too hard.

Anything but that, please =(

I hate those because they are a huge time waste! And I often get the direction mixed up, I hate bearings!
Reply 98
Cheers darkraver + Callum -

27) b) ii) in the 2007 paper - is that not working out the p.d from an out of balance bridge, or am I looking at it wrong?
Reply 99
darkraver
Anything but that, please =(

I hate those because they are a huge time waste! And I often get the direction mixed up, I hate bearings!

Ooo I love it - even more looking around seeing people who took higher physics but not maths (after failing sg maths) doing scale drawings because they don't know the sine and cosine rules :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending