Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are there adverts on all the time on every channel at the same time!!!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It almost like channels nowadays don't show anything on their schedule, its like the schedule consists of mcdonalds and aldi's adverts!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally like the adverts...
    Maybe they're on at the same time so you HAVE TO WATCH THEM... Just maybe
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it's really not. Yes, adverts are annoying, but for an hour, you still have a good 45 minutes of programming. For half an hour, you still have 25 minutes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they generally come every 15 minutes, so a 30 minute show is in 2 parts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This annoys me no end, like your watching something, adverts come on, get angry, turn tv over, more adverts, try again, more adverts etc then when you give up and go back to what you were originally watching, whaddaya know, it's time for adverts again!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    May be wrong I'm pretty sure regulator Ofcom dictates the times adverts can be on. I know that there are restrictions on how many minutes of ads there can be in an hour at least!

They are very annoying most of the time. But look at it this way, they pay for the TV shows you're watching.
    • 7 followers

I have noticed it as well actually - very very annoying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatyLauren)
    I personally like the adverts...
    Maybe they're on at the same time so you HAVE TO WATCH THEM... Just maybe
    This!!
    If adverts were on at different times on different channels no one would watch them, the products in the adverts wouldn't sell as well and the channels wouldn't make any money if there weren't adverts.

I like adverts too. And I think BBC should show them and get rid of tv licence! :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knack)
    May be wrong I'm pretty sure regulator Ofcom dictates the times adverts can be on. I know that there are restrictions on how many minutes of ads there can be in an hour at least!

They are very annoying most of the time. But look at it this way, they pay for the TV shows you're watching.
    Believe it or not broadcasters aren't allowed to show more than an average of 7 minutes per hour of advertising in one day - although they are allowed up to 12 minutes an hour. There should also be at least 20 minutes of programmes between commercials and individual breaks must not exceed three minutes and 50 seconds.

Hard to believe I know - although some do break the rules occasionally:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-longer.html (bit out of date I know).

Official rules from OFCOM here:
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes...ules/rules.pdf
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasross)
    Believe it or not broadcasters aren't allowed to show more than an average of 7 minutes per hour of advertising in one day - although they are allowed up to 12 minutes an hour. There should also be at least 20 minutes of programmes between commercials and individual breaks must not exceed three minutes and 50 seconds.

Hard to believe I know - although some do break the rules occasionally:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-longer.html (bit out of date I know).

Official rules from OFCOM here:
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes...ules/rules.pdf
    Yey so I was more or less right. Your point in bold there I assume only applies to hour long (or more) programmes since a programme shown in a 30 min time slot will only be about 22 minutes long.

Edit.. just thinking about it though that point doesn't really make any sense at all since an hour long programme usually doesn't have 20 minutes between ad breaks.. unless I'm missing something.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thank god for sky plus, i intentionally start watching programs 10-15 minutes after they start so i can skip the adverts when they are on, it makes watching shows like 24/lost/prison break less frustrating

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 25, 2009
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.