The Student Room Group

UCL Entry Requirements

A levels:
AAA to include Chemistry; Biology must be offered at either A level (preferred) or AS level. Mathematics and Further Mathematics will not both be counted towards the three A level subjects required.

A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent is also required (minimum grade B if Biology).

GCSE Mathematics and English Language must be offered at a minimum of grade B

Probably just because of the stress of exams, but saying I did not get AAAA at AS level... From the selected passage, it doesnt COMPLETELY close the door to UCL? As long as I do alright (ofc I aim for AAAA, but that doesnt always happen! :p: ), then theres still a chance?

Outa curiosity, do AS grades play a part in that area of the selection criteria, or is it just predicted grades and overall A level marks (and obviously GCSEs...) and is it possible, without hindrance of getting into UCL, to resit AS modules in upper sixth/year 13?

Just a bit worried, which is how I normally get around exam time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would suggest that you stay off studentroom and make sure that you get your 4As before worrying about entry requirements to UCL.

You can resit AS modules in the upper 6th. Universities are interested in you being able to get your grades within two years, not necessarily when you first take the exam (i.e.- you can resit your AS modules without hindrance).

UCL do use the BMAT results in their selection for interview- if your predicted grades match their entry requirements (AAA for 2010) and you achieve 5, 5, 9 in the three sections respectivly, you are guaranteed an interview (we were for 2009 entry, I am not sure whether this still applies).

I hope this answers your question.
applemilk1992

Outa curiosity, do AS grades play a part in that area of the selection criteria, or is it just predicted grades and overall A level marks (and obviously GCSEs...) and is it possible, without hindrance of getting into UCL, to resit AS modules in upper sixth/year 13?

The most important bit of your application is the personal statement. You can have all the grades in the world but unless you can put a pen to paper and do it well, you won't be going anywhere.

A candidate's academic ability is assessed, and when I do it I look at both the GCSE grades and any AS level grades/module grades declared, as well as the predicted grades from the referee's statement (however I take predicted grades with a pince of salt). You can also usually make a good assessment of the candidate's academic ability by reading their BMAT essay.
Stay off TSR and get those A's! (and FB as well...)
TSR, FB and getting A grades are not mutually exclusive :p:
Reply 5
Toiletpaper8

you started revising yet? :p:
Reply 6
Toiletpaper8

not fb. tsr certainly.

im so glad i got banned from tsr :p:

fb kept me sane. ask all the banned folk :wink: :yep:
Reply 7
Spencer Wells
The most important bit of your application is the personal statement. You can have all the grades in the world but unless you can put a pen to paper and do it well, you won't be going anywhere.

A candidate's academic ability is assessed, and when I do it I look at both the GCSE grades and any AS level grades/module grades declared, as well as the predicted grades from the referee's statement (however I take predicted grades with a pince of salt). You can also usually make a good assessment of the candidate's academic ability by reading their BMAT essay.

My personal statement was terrible and they gave me an offer. Its because of BMAT, my grades and my good talking skills. Personal statement - I don'tt think really read mine that much, Anecdotal, yeah, but I think you assign far too much importance to the PS in that statement. Perhaps the actual interviewers vary?
Vazzyb
Perhaps the actual interviewers vary?
Of course - I use the PS and the BMAT essay to judge a candidate's ability to think and reason and argue, other interviewers place more emphasis on previous exam grades. I think it's nice to have diversity in interviewers, as we can complement each other and approach candidates in different ways. If you start depersonalising the process turning into a formula where a candidate must tick so many boxes (though there is some element of that in all admissions) then you might as well get rid of human selectors all together and let a computer do it. Whichever method is used however, the true telling of the candidate comes when they're sat before you at interview themselves.
Isometrix
you started revising yet? :p:

I intend to start on Monday:smile:
HiBear
not fb. tsr certainly.

im so glad i got banned from tsr :p:

fb kept me sane. ask all the banned folk :wink: :yep:

I'm not really addicted to either to be honest. I'll probably look over some C4 on Monday though.
Reply 11
Toiletpaper8
I'm not really addicted to either to be honest. I'll probably look over some C4 on Monday though.

i am :sad:

especially now everything's over :sad:
HiBear
i am :sad:

especially now everything's over :sad:

Ah, I forget you're on IB. How did finals go?
Reply 13
Toiletpaper8
Ah, I forget you're on IB. How did finals go?

:yep:

good i think
i missed out a bit on chem because i freaked out about it, but otherwise it was fine. im hoping for a good score :smile:
HiBear
:yep:

good i think
i missed out a bit on chem because i freaked out about it, but otherwise it was fine. im hoping for a good score :smile:

Ah, should put you in good stead for next year then :p:

You've got a ridiculously long summer to entertain yourself now!
bottfly7
I would suggest that you stay off studentroom and make sure that you get your 4As before worrying about entry requirements to UCL.

You can resit AS modules in the upper 6th. Universities are interested in you being able to get your grades within two years, not necessarily when you first take the exam (i.e.- you can resit your AS modules without hindrance).

UCL do use the BMAT results in their selection for interview- if your predicted grades match their entry requirements (AAA for 2010) and you achieve 5, 5, 9 in the three sections respectivly, you are guaranteed an interview (we were for 2009 entry, I am not sure whether this still applies).

I hope this answers your question.

Could someone apply to UCL with very weak GCSE results (something like ABBBBBC), but meet the predicted grade requirements and the BMAT scores. 5,5,9???
FinalFlash
Could someone apply to UCL with very weak GCSE results (something like ABBBBBC), but meet the predicted grade requirements and the BMAT scores. 5,5,9???

Of course.
Spencer Wells
Of course.

Then i'm going to apply UCL now and practise for the BMat :biggrin:, don't they automatically reject people though because of their gcse's without waiting for the BMAT scores to come in??
FinalFlash
Then i'm going to apply UCL now and practise for the BMat :biggrin:, don't they automatically reject people though because of their gcse's without waiting for the BMAT scores to come in??

Not because of their GCSEs - applications are assessed as a whole. As long as you have B grades in maths and english you will be considered. Higher is better, but if the rest of your application is excellent you stand a chance.
Reply 19
I'm predicted AAAB for my AS Levels, however, i'm more likely to get AABB. Is an AAA prediction for my A2 Levels and a decent UCAS application good enough for UCL? I really would like to apply there next year, if i get decent AS results.

Latest

Trending

Trending