The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Laiklik
Perhaps because the evidence suggests otherwise.

The evidence? The evidence? So do you think you have a better command of the Qur'an and Hadith than I do, as a Muslim who reads them both diligently?

What do you know about Islam? What does the general population know about the religion?
Scaffold
Believers, if you yield to the infidels they will drag you back to unbelief and you will return headlong to perdition. . . .We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. . . . The Fire shall be their home" (3:149-51).

about the grammar, maybe you should try my language ? :biggrin:

What's with the spaces between the 3 sentences? If you're going to copy and paste a quote, please copy the whole verse instead of picking and choosing sentences. Thank you.
Reply 202
Scaffold
Believers, if you yield to the infidels they will drag you back to unbelief and you will return headlong to perdition. . . .We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. . . . The Fire shall be their home" (3:149-51).

I love how you put the dots to put the verse out of context.
The verse refers to IN BATTLE. B-A-T-T-L-E.
And yeah, go over your grammar in that previous post.
Reply 203
Scaffold

What did you do with the missing parts?

I know this verse. I've read it before. This refers to a specific battle between the Muslims and their aggressors, that was to take place soon after the verse was revealed. Yes, putting terror into the hearts of the opposing army doesn't sound too crazy to me.
Reply 204
rupertj
What did you do with the missing parts?

I know this verse. I've read it before. This refers to a specific battle between the Muslims and their aggressors, that was to take place soon after the verse was revealed. Yes, putting terror into the hearts of the opposing army doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Does it matter ? I was asked for the quotes, there they are.
Anyway, believe what you want about this 'religion of peace" .
Reply 205
rupertj
The evidence? The evidence? So do you think you have a better command of the Qur'an and Hadith than I do, as a Muslim who reads them both diligently?

What do you know about Islam? What does the general population know about the religion?

I know that it treats men and women unequally; I know that it conflicts with science on issues such as homosexuality, evolution etc; I know that it uses the death penalty most generously which conflicts with the value I place on human life; etc.
Reply 206
Scaffold

Well, I'm an insider, so to speak. I've never felt the wish to be violent towards a non-Muslim. I've never felt that urge whilst reading a religious text, and no, I don't ignore passages whilst reading them. Stop being ignorant.
Reply 207
Why is people caring that people is hating on Islam?
Reply 208
Scaffold

Funnily enough, it does matter. You can't go saying Muslims want to kill all "infidels" and strike fear into their hearts all the time, when you cant come up with a quote which supports this claim in the CONTEXT it is asked for.
Reply 209
rupertj
Well, I'm an insider, so to speak. I've never felt the wish to be violent towards a non-Muslim. I've never felt that urge whilst reading a religious text, and no, I don't ignore passages whilst reading them. Stop being ignorant.

Being ignorant?

I`ve stated in my first post in this thread that Islam and Muslims are two spererate things, and that most muslims don`t act according to those verses.
Reply 210
Laiklik
I know that it treats men and women unequally; I know that it conflicts with science on issues such as homosexuality, evolution etc; I know that it uses the death penalty most generously which conflicts with the value I place on human life; etc.

Men and women aren't unequal in Islam, they are different. There is a big difference. They have different roles, but aren't unequal.

If a state followed Sharia jurisprudence word-for-word, there would be an incredibly small number of death penalties that were actually ordered. Iran is not the perfect Islamic state.

Read up on the Qur'an and science.
jeeeez, what is up with all this threads on islam?
as a muslim myself i'm just like whyyyyyy? evertime i refresh, yep theres another one :s-smilie:
c'mon now. get over it.
Reply 212
Scaffold
Being ignorant?

I`ve stated in my first post in this thread that Islam and Muslims are two spererate things, and that most muslims don`t act according to those verses.

Hence I wrote "... whilst reading a religious text."
Reply 213
rupertj
Men and women aren't unequal in Islam, they are different. There is a big difference. They have different roles, but aren't unequal.

Read up on the Qur'an and science.

So it`s the woman`s own choice in countries like afghanistan not to show any skin ?
Reply 214
ive always found it funny and ironic that for a forum thats aimed at students who are apparently meant to be 'smart' or whatever.. a lot of them easily take what the tabloids say for truth without any realt thought or understanding. Islam or otherwise, this forum has its fair share of ignorant people.

It just is what it is, its not always fair.
Reply 215
xxcherry-popxx
jeeeez, what is up with all this threads on islam?
as a muslim myself i'm just like whyyyyyy? evertime i refresh, yep theres another one :s-smilie:
c'mon now. get over it.

lol i totally agree
Reply 216
Scaffold
So it`s the woman`s own choice in countries like afghanistan not to show any skin ?

Afghanistan is run by the Taleban. They are not exactly mainstream Muslims; nowhere do the Qur'an or Hadith mention that women should be killed for not being fully covered. However, sadly, that's what the Taleban do to women.
Yusuf.T
lol i totally agree

:yep:
Reply 218
letmepassplz
The same could be said for any religion...

Different religions instill different values into it's followers. It just so happens that many people find the values which Islam conveys offensive and worrying. (I.e the quran generally teaches that females are inferior to males, and states it is ok to hit your wife)
Yusuf.T
ive always found it funny and ironic that for a forum thats aimed at students who are apparently meant to be 'smart' or whatever.. a lot of them easily take what the tabloids say for truth without any realt thought or understanding.

Please, let's not declare everybody who dislikes Islam a tabloid reader. Nearly as bad as when we're all stereotyped as BNP thugs (it's funny to hear that as a non white immigrant~)

Latest

Trending

Trending