The Student Room Group

Dull chest pain/occasionally sharp - Cancer??

Hey all,

I am 18 years old, male - if that's relevant.

I am going to see a doctor, so please don't tell me to do that. I'm posting this thread for some reassuance or some alternative causes for this chest pain because I'm one of those people who plans for the worst and hopes for the best. I'm just stressing that it's lung cancer because I've lived with my nan who is a smoker all my life (She smokes indoors - however I never go in the room when she's smoking - but I did when I was younger) and also, I may have breathed in some harmful chemicals when I've been camping and we throw rubbish and plastics onto the campfire.

Anyway, here's what i'm experiencing:

For about 2 or so months now, I've noticed an occasional pain in my chest, however I have been able to intentionally initiate the pain by moving in certain ways. The pain is on the right hand side on my chest (few cm from the middle) - about an 11cm down from the collarbone.

I have no pain when breathing, and I don't feel breathless when not exercising - I do quite quickly when I am exercising but I'm pretty sure that has somthing to do with the fact that I've just got a bit unfit because my diet has been crappy the past year and I've been a bit lazy too. To be fair, your supposed to get breathless when exercising anyway I suppose haha, what I mean is my stamina is lower than it used to be. I'm about 3/4 pounds overweight but you couldn't call me fat really.

Basically, I feel this pain when I move certain ways (eg. I sorta flex my chest in a bit) or when I put my right arm across to my left side. I can also feel it if I think about it. The pain is dull, it's not like an agony type of pain but it's not somthing I should be feeling anyway. Very rarely I get a quite sharp, short lasting pain in the same region. I can't tell for sure if the pain is on my lung, but I assume so. It's definately "on the inside". I mean theres a chance it could be my rib, mabye it has a little mini facture or somthin. That could explain why I get no pain when breathing.

As I said, I will go and see the doctor - but are there plenty of other reasonable explainations for this pain that aren't lung cancer? Perhaps it's even normal?

Cheers
Reply 1
I think it's highly unlikely that you'd have lung cancer at your age. If the pain is an inch below your collarbone then that's too high up to be the lungs anyway. It's probably nothing to worry about- but as you already seem to know- a doctor will be able to put your mind at ease.
The Gaffa
I think it's highly unlikely that you'd have lung cancer at your age. If the pain is an inch below your collarbone then that's too high up to be the lungs anyway. It's probably nothing to worry about- but as you already seem to know- a doctor will be able to put your mind at ease.

Sorry mate, its way more than an inch. So sleepy haha, dosy me.

Just measured it its 11cm down from the collarbone
Reply 3
I think some of the things you've mentioned are normal- as long as the dull pain isn't constantly there-i.e. whenever you move in this certain way- not just when you move in this certain way every now and again. As you said, see a doctor-you'll feel much better and relieved once he's checked you out. I still highly doubt it would be lung cancer though. :smile:
Reply 4
There's a million things it could be. Anxiety, for one... get checked up, but don't worry about it - you'll make it worse.
Reply 5
Flip, I hope it's not cancer 'cause I get that all the time! Although my stabbing pains are usually in the heart area more than the lungs..
Reply 6
The Gaffa

Actualy your lungs go much higher up than you think (well above the clavicle).
Have a look http://www.capitalhealth.org/images/PACHest_Ser1.jpg. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://utdol.net/online/content/images/onco_pix/Normal_lung_anatomy.jpg&imgrefurl=http://utdol.net/online/content/image.do%3FimageKey%3Donco_pix/norma17.htm%26title%3DNormal%2520lung%2520anatomy&usg=__kGuU4lRVIffvN-GhAYXX0jB2l0Q=&h=542&w=543&sz=141&hl=en&start=27&um=1&tbnid=CmAFmaIS-BxU9M:&tbnh=132&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthorax%2Banatomy%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

OP it is extremly unlikely that you have lung cancer at your age from passive smoking or anything else. It sounds more like muscoskeletal pain. You are doing the right thing by getting it checked with your doctor but try not to worry about it to much in the meantime.
Reply 7
Sounds like muscular pain to me, if you're able to provoke the pain by movement.

Muscular pains, especially in core muscles (like those in the chest) can take a very long time to heal.

Do see the doctor, but I'd try not to worry yourself too much.
Reply 8
my dad had sharp chest pain for about a week and we got worried because hes had lots of heart problems in the past, but it turned out to be just a strained muscle, wouldn't worry if i were you, its unlikely to be anything serious, chest pains are common, i get them occasionally too

Latest