Past Papers Somebody???
Ahhh I haven't a clue where to start!!
Reply 4
maybe with constitutions..and work your way through all topics? Hmm
Reply 5
BUMP!
Get involved, people!!
Reply 6
for the 40 mark question, do we spend 40 minutes on it and make sure that its really planned?
apparently you can write as much there as for the 25 mark one but im sure thats not right...

thanks =)
You'd probably be better off posting in the other politics thread, got more people posting regularly already :yep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18981155
Reply 8
People seem to be talking about how they did in Unit 1 thought... I just find it pretty pointless talking about an exam after you've done it, I mean why stress yourself out... It's done and handed in, talking about it isn't really going to change anything!
*breath* Lol

I just thought it would be better to start fresh where we can talk about Unit 2 that's all :smile:
Reply 9
hammyjones
for the 40 mark question, do we spend 40 minutes on it and make sure that its really planned?
apparently you can write as much there as for the 25 mark one but im sure thats not right...

thanks =)

That's kind of what i'm confused about aswell :confused:

but... no it shouldn't be planned because obviously we don't know what it's going to be on? We just have to revise everything don't we? i'm sooo confused!!
But one thing i'm sure of is that we probably will be expected to write much more than a 25 mark question!
Reply 10
yeah, its the same time lenth in unit one, so it's a mark a minute.. so 40 marks = 40 mins..
daisyy
That's kind of what i'm confused about aswell :confused:

but... no it shouldn't be planned because obviously we don't know what it's going to be on? We just have to revise everything don't we? i'm sooo confused!!
But one thing i'm sure of is that we probably will be expected to write much more than a 25 mark question!

I think they meant that you should plan it in in the exam, before you actually start writing it, to make sure it's coherent and well structured. I really hope one of the 40 markers is:
Should the constitution be codified?
I would cry with happiness :biggrin:
Reply 12
Am I the only person who feels completely nervous about this exam? I feel like I know nothing. Guess it's gonna be a half term of epic revising.
It is a pain not having past papers but my teacher has given us some predictable questions.

Parliament:
How effective is Parliament/Hoc/Hol at scrutinising the executive? (I think this is the spec)
To what extent is Parliament/HoC/HoL effective at representing the electorate?
Should there be an elected second chamber? (more of a 25 marker)

Suzanne said its important to distinguish between Parliament, the HoC and HoL and to answer the question appropriately.

Constitution:
Should the UK remain without a codified constitution? (classic)
Is Parliament any longer sovereign in the UK constitutional system?
Where does sovereignty now reside in the UK?
'Consitutional reforms since 1997 have not gone far enough to prevent an elective dictatorship'. Discuss
Does the UK have an elective dictatorship?
Has the UK become a quasi-federal state?
How has sovereignty been challenged in recent years?

PM and Cabinet
To what extent to PM's dominate cabinet?
Is the theory of cabinet government any longer relevant in the UK?
'The office of PM is what its holders wish to make of it'. Discuss
To what extent have PM's become more presidential?
Which style of political leadership has been most successful in recent years?
How far and in what ways has the relationship between PM's and their parties and their cabinet changed in recent years?
What restraints are there on PM power?

Judiciary
To what extent have the rights of UK citizens been eroded in recent years?
To what extent are judges independent and neutral in the UK?
Why are judges more inclined to use their power in recent years?
How has judicial independence been questioned in recent years?

Well, hope this helps!
Reply 14
yeah i think you do have to just structure it quite well
im guessing by structure they just mean 'one way this happens...another way this happens...'
and one of my teachers kept stressing the importance of the conclusion

but okay thanks, 40 min it is =)
Reply 15
I dunno, but I well and truly ****** up GP1, I knew the knowledge I just wasn't fast enough at writng it down. :frown:
private-radio
It is a pain not having past papers but my teacher has given us some predictable questions.

Parliament:
How effective is Parliament/Hoc/Hol at scrutinising the executive? (I think this is the spec)
To what extent is Parliament/HoC/HoL effective at representing the electorate?
Should there be an elected second chamber? (more of a 25 marker)

Suzanne said its important to distinguish between Parliament, the HoC and HoL and to answer the question appropriately.

Constitution:
Should the UK remain without a codified constitution? (classic)
Is Parliament any longer sovereign in the UK constitutional system?
Where does sovereignty now reside in the UK?
'Consitutional reforms since 1997 have not gone far enough to prevent an elective dictatorship'. Discuss
Does the UK have an elective dictatorship?
Has the UK become a quasi-federal state?
How has sovereignty been challenged in recent years?

PM and Cabinet
To what extent to PM's dominate cabinet?
Is the theory of cabinet government any longer relevant in the UK?
'The office of PM is what its holders wish to make of it'. Discuss
To what extent have PM's become more presidential?
Which style of political leadership has been most successful in recent years?
How far and in what ways has the relationship between PM's and their parties and their cabinet changed in recent years?
What restraints are there on PM power?

Judiciary
To what extent have the rights of UK citizens been eroded in recent years?
To what extent are judges independent and neutral in the UK?
Why are judges more inclined to use their power in recent years?
How has judicial independence been questioned in recent years?

Well, hope this helps!

That's excellent! May plan some essay answers to them :biggrin:

I think the reason that there's no past papers other than the spec ones are becase this is a new syllabus, and Unit 2 is a completely new layout than what it was before, hence, no past questions are in the same format. Sucks.
Reply 17
private-radio thanks... :biggrin:

and also... moody.. do we really get a choice on the 40 mark question? i'm sure we don't??ahhhhhhhhhhh :frown:
EagleHawk
Am I the only person who feels completely nervous about this exam? I feel like I know nothing. Guess it's gonna be a half term of epic revising.

Wouldn't worry, I'm the same. It's a bad, bad feeling...
daisyy
private-radio thanks... :biggrin:

and also... moody.. do we really get a choice on the 40 mark question? i'm sure we don't??ahhhhhhhhhhh :frown:

Yup, if you look at the specimen papers on the edexcel website:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/sam-gce-gov-pol.pdf

There are two 40 markers on Paper 2 to choose between:

3. How effective is Parliament in checking executive power?
and
4. Should the UK’s constitution remain un-codified?

I guess as that codification one is the specimen it probably won't be on our paper :/, although on unit 1 spec the c) on electoral systems was exactly the same in the Jan 09 paper, so I live in hope.

Latest