The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Lightfantastic
I'm missing out Parliament...but then I've just looked through the judiciary questions in the textbook and they're actually pretty hard!

Wasn't the presidential gov question in the spec though?

Hmm it was actually, but I really like that question!
I haven't even begun to look at questions yet :sad:
still trying to sort out examples, from where, I do not know :dontknow:

Judiciary is likely to be based on HOL/ HRA/ or independance and neutrality and not a lot else I think..
Potentially though, they could ask about whether we have PM government which is basically the same, except a bit more about cabinet... :p:

What could you get asked about in judiciary that relates to the HoL???
Reply 82
I hate the judiciary, I'm not going to revise it as much as the other three.

:yy: Constitution is a piece of wee wee though.
Reply 83
Lightfantastic
Potentially though, they could ask about whether we have PM government which is basically the same, except a bit more about cabinet... :p:

What could you get asked about in judiciary that relates to the HoL???

Eee sorry, I'm mixing the topics up! Ignore HOL. :p:
You scared me so much *sob*

I really need to get back on with revision...
jaz_jaz
well theres a mssive emphasis on presidential and I have a feeling it may be the 40 marker (at least I hope) so yeah because the question would be 'should the uk or is the uk a presidential government?' you'd include dis/ad of the systems.

Ahhhh

Do you think you could type the adv/disadv of Presidential and parliament in short bullet points please?
ArchedEdge
Ahhhh

Do you think you could type the adv/disadv of Presidential and parliament in short bullet points please?

Do you want advantages/disadvantages or the features? I don't think they'd ever ask for advantages/disadvantages, the focus on presidentialism is mainly to what extent has the PM become presidential or the features.
Darkest Knight
Do you want advantages/disadvantages or the features? I don't think they'd ever ask for advantages/disadvantages, the focus on presidentialism is mainly to what extent has the PM become presidential or the features.

Advantages and disadvantages, just so I know what to write about roughly.
ArchedEdge
Advantages and disadvantages, just so I know what to write about roughly.

No idea then, it's not in either of the textbooks, I have Heywood and Mcnaughton.
Reply 89
Does anyone have any good examples I can use in a "How effective is the parliamentary scrutiny of the Executive?" question? Either for or against?
Reply 90
To what extent has parliament lost sovereignty? / Has sovereignty been challenged in the recent years?

:s-smilie: confused!

And also,
Does the UK have an elective dictatorship?

Bullet points on that somebody please :smile:
Reply 91
RoyalRoRo
Does anyone have any good examples I can use in a "How effective is the parliamentary scrutiny of the Executive?" question? Either for or against?

- Question time (however, often weak and unrepresentive)
- Select commitees - scrutinize policy (however, often backbenchers of dominant party are on the commitee and are influenced by whips
- Ministerial debate/power - adjournment debates (backbenchers)
- The opposition - priveledge in question time of topic (scrutiny) and opposition days
- Letters and questions - have to reply
- Legislation - parliament makes laws and through parliamenty sovereignty (however, the bulk of the time is spent considering legislations and also the subordinate status of the HoL means no 'proper' scrutiny.
- Legitimacy - stand for public representation, however HoL is non-elected which means no democratic legitimacy

Few points, which can be elaborated on. :smile:
daisyy
To what extent has parliament lost sovereignty? / Has sovereignty been challenged in the recent years?

:s-smilie: confused!

And also,
Does the UK have an elective dictatorship?

Bullet points on that somebody please :smile:

Sovereignty:
Devolution has created a quasi-federal system where Scotland, Wales and NI has some power over their country which Westminster cannot encroach on.

EU membership means that its laws take precedence over our own

However, Parliament is sovereign, and if it wishes to can leave the EU or get rid of devolution any time it wants, although in practice this is unlikely. It's the supreme legislative authority.

And Elective dictatorship:
Define it first, so basically when governments are in control of Parliament through their majority

Acts of Parliament 1911 and 1949 decreased power of HoL, Salisbury Convention means that HoL cannot reject a 2nd/3rd reading of a bill proposed in its manifesto, and the emergence of strict party discipline means that effectively the party line is towed at all times. Decreases the ability for the second chamber to effectively check the HoC's power.

But recently the number of backbenchers has increased, shown by Labour's statistics, especially regarding Brown in his first term
Reply 93
thank you, much clearer now. :smile:
Reply 94
Hi can someone direct me to some past papers so that I can do a couple today? I just want to check I haven't missed anything. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 95
for that question above about sovereignity, do you think it would be possible to argue that recent scandals about MPs expenses undermine the Sovergnity because, the media is showing ultimate power in this circumstance forcing certain MPs to stand down.
Reply 96
Well during elections don't the people have ultimate power anyway?
Does any have a list of 40marker questions? possible ones that may come up tomorrow?
thanks
Reply 98
i might die during this exam!!!! :frown:(((
Reply 99
i basically have to cram this in today.

just to check - will the exam be a choice of stimuli and a choice of essay questions? because i'm not gonna learn the judiciary because we'll always have a choice of two. RIGHT?!

Latest