The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the median figure is about £15,000. I saw that on the Channel 4 website, but I'm not sure if those figures are a bit outdated.
ThePants999
Those of you quoting "averages" - are you quoting means or medians? As Roger pointed out, it is an important distinction and I think median salaries would be the more useful figure.

the £23,500 ish one is a mean

national stats only has a median for hourly income - which doesn't actually tell you anything if you don't know whant the average (mean) no of hours is pa to bump it up.
they've got averages (mean) by region though which is quite interesting

United Kingdom £23,556
Great Britain £23,608
England £23,920
North East £20,176
North West £20,748
Yorks & the Humber £21,424
East Midlands £21,840
West Midlands £21,320
East £25,220
London £29,432
South East £26,520
South West £22,932
Wales £21,320
Scotland £22,152
Northern Ireland £20,436
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_labour/LFSQS_0405.pdf

page 41 there's a graph showing the distribution of earnings

The largest number is for those earning between £10,400 and £15,600pa for women and between£15,600 and £20,800 for men
Overall median is £385per week - £20,020pa
Overall mean is £453...£23,556pa
Reply 25
just fyi: avarage salary in the CZ is 4,3k pa (i've converted it to pounds) :rolleyes:
Reply 26
Monii
just fyi: avarage salary in the CZ is 4,3k pa (i've converted it to pounds) :rolleyes:

But the cost of living is much lower.
jumpunderaboat

Yup, in the same way that it is cheaper to buy a semi in Liverpool, than in London.

My starting salary is going to be £21k, probably about £25k in ldn. Of course, in 4 years time, that will probably change.
Reply 28
beekeeper_
Yup, in the same way that it is cheaper to buy a semi in Liverpool, than in London.

My starting salary is going to be £21k, probably about £25k in ldn. Of course, in 4 years time, that will probably change.

I'm definately gunna live in London when I graduate, so I better hope I'm earning big money :cool:
jumpunderaboat
I'm definately gunna live in London when I graduate, so I better hope I'm earning big money :cool:

yah it makes sense, I'll probably stay in London until i'm about 45, then move back up to North Yorkshire...

I can't really see myself building a career anywhere but London. I suppose when youre going into Land Economy, there isn't really anywhere that can beat it!
Reply 30
jumpunderaboat

of course it is but for example studyng abroad is then incredibly expensive for us :frown:
Reply 31
You would get more accurate results if you wanted mean salary for a specific profession as the mean salary of all the professions combined will not truely reflect the most accurate information.

Zain
Reply 32
Monii
of course it is but for example studyng abroad is then incredibly expensive for us :frown:

True, but are there not grants available?
Still I imagine things like flights will be comparitively cheaper for those in the UK.
Reply 33
I've got a mate at uni of Surrey doing economics, and he got a 1st in the first year, so decided to find a good sandwich year placement. He's got one with Lehmann's bank (dunno how u spell it) and its over 26 grand! plus its a thirteen month one, so he gets 28 grand! he's already loaded :O
Reply 34
Jump
True, but are there not grants available?
Still I imagine things like flights will be comparitively cheaper for those in the UK.

just for people paying international fees :rolleyes:

or another example - clothes...eg one pair of jeans represents the same proportion of income of a person here as three or four in the UK :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending