The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Oh yeah, and do you think anything about teleconnections is relevant as well?! :eek:
Reply 2
can you tell me what paper/board this is from?
Reply 3
its Edexcel B unit 4 "global challenge". My teacher has the actual paper but he didnt give me a mark scheme so im screwed lol :smile:
Define weather and climate first
What year was this question from?
Reply 6
froggymills
What year was this question from?

i only wrote down the question and stupidly I dont have the year the paper was, I have a feeling it was 2002 though. soz! :redface:
Reply 7
climate is more long term and weather short term.
Reply 8
The Inter-tropical Convergence Zone's (ITCZ) annual pattern is predictive although some years it does not go as far north as usual and as a result crops can fail.
Britain gets more northerly winds in the Winter and more south-westerlies in the Summer to lower and raise the temperatures.
There is the "tornado season" in areas such as "Tornado Alley" in the USA.
As well as El Nino there is also La Nina (which is identified by below normal SST in the tropical Pacific Ocean).
Of course weather is not entirely predictable (particularly British weather!) but there are a number of climatic patterns that can be noted. Please see the following web page for more information:
http://www.metcheck.com/averageweather.asp

:smile:
Reply 9
bred
The Inter-tropical Convergence Zone's (ITCZ) annual pattern is predictive although some years it does not go as far north as usual and as a result crops can fail.
Britain gets more northerly winds in the Winter and more south-westerlies in the Summer to lower and raise the temperatures.
There is the "tornado season" in areas such as "Tornado Alley" in the USA.
As well as El Nino there is also La Nina (which is identified by below normal SST in the tropical Pacific Ocean).
Of course weather is not entirely predictable (particularly British weather!) but there are a number of climatic patterns that can be noted. Please see the following web page for more information:
http://www.metcheck.com/averageweather.asp

:smile:

Thanks thats really helpful, I guess I just have to explain predictable climate and then say how it affects weather patterns. ta :smile:
Reply 10
You're welcome. :smile:
How many marks was it?
Reply 12
froggymills
How many marks was it?

hi ya, it was 10 marks :smile:
define the terms
and then talk about different zones eg. temperate, desert
Reply 15
carcharodon
define the terms

weather is the short term day to day fluctuations in the earths atmosphere, whereas climate is the 'average' of the atmospheric conditions over a number of years - usually 30 or more. - it is the climate that meteorologists use to make weather predictions.

pk

P.S. this is all off the top of my head so excuse me if the definitions are wrong :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Usually it is not the climate which meteorologists make most use of to make weather predictions - only in the cases of long term forecasts where computer model forecasts are much less trustworthy. Charts which show air pressure, wind speed, air temperature at various altitudes/pressures, sferics, precipitation intensities, SSTs excetera are much more important in short term forecasting.

Latest

Trending

Trending