The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Private school until A Levels, where I moved to the local 6th form college. These last two years at college have been the best of my life by a long way. However, having said that, I am glad I was raised in private education, overall.
Reply 81
I went to state school
I go to a state college
Both pretty rough catchments.
I turned out fine
Went Private till i was 16, now at Grammar
State grammar.
I don't really understand the poll, though. Do I vote the second or third option?!
Reply 84
i go to a private skol and my twin is in a state skol....state skols are rubbish, they dnt push u to do work and they dnt care if u dnt get good grades.
im predicted AAA and she is predicted BCC
ice_dragoness274
There's two types of state schools, Comprehensives and Grammars. For grammar it is selective whereas comprehensives aren't :smile:

Oh right, I see. I assumed (because of the "/") that comprehensive and grammar were two different things. That makes sense, thank you. :smile:
sabka7
what?
do i know you?

Maybe...year 11 right?
Reply 87
the poll
Grammar/Comprehensive

Aren't there differences between these..? Also, what's the difference between the last 2 categories?

I didn't even know grammar schools still existed, as far as I know there aren't any round my area and we didn't get the option to do 11+.. I thought they got rid of grammar schools in the 90s?
from years 7-11 state which was alright, just took it for granted really

6th form was state-boarding school, pretty much a private school in all but name which was horrendous. better standard of teaching etc but full of kn**s and i really wish i'd gone state for the last two years. uni will be immense as i'll finally be around 'normal' ppl again!

no more cringeworthy phraseology too! BOOM! good times 09 (Y)
sabka7
well that depends, are you in year 11?

yeah...don't see why that makes a difference as to what year you're in though. If you're not in year 11 then i've got the wrong person..I just saw the name and the school and assumed.
Reply 90
Private until Year 7. Year 7 to 13 all State.
supercoolfred

Are state school kids open to public school kids? Many people I meet seem give me a strange look when I tell them I go to a school where you pay fees :s-smilie:

I'd say so :smile: There's about 3 or 4 who've come to my sixth form who went to private school before. Couldn't even tell with them, they weren't different at all, except the one girl who thought that her school meant she was automatically going to get into a good university :facepalm:

I see you live in Hampshire :biggrin: We have some good state schools here, mine does better than the local private schools, actually. Depends whereabouts you are, I suppose.
dundun
i go to a private skol and my twin is in a state skol....state skols are rubbish, they dnt push u to do work and they dnt care if u dnt get good grades.
im predicted AAA and she is predicted BCC

They do, actually, if you've got good teachers, which I have.

I bet your twin can spell too.
I'm at a state 6th form.

Also isn't a grammar school private? I thought grammar was like a less expensive version of private...:confused:
state comprehensive .. it's a pretty good one though. Then off to college next year :smile:
MewMachine
I'd say so :smile: There's about 3 or 4 who've come to my sixth form who went to private school before. Couldn't even tell with them, they weren't different at all, except the one girl who thought that her school meant she was automatically going to get into a good university :facepalm:

I see you live in Hampshire :biggrin: We have some good state schools here, mine does better than the local private schools, actually. Depends whereabouts you are, I suppose.

Yeah. I think I know the on you are talking about. That's the one I am thinking of going to. F6th yeah?

Just saw you go to one by the sea. I don't think we're talking about the same one actually xD. I live in the north of Hampshire, on the border of Surrey.
Reply 96
Private and lovin it :P
supercoolfred
Yeah. I think I know the on you are talking about. That's the one I am thinking of going to. F6th yeah?

Just saw you go to one by the sea. I don't think we're talking about the same one actually xD. I live in the north of Hampshire, on the border of Surrey.

Yeah, I'm about as far south as you can get :smile: Why'd you choose to swap to a state school then?
Reply 98
Grammar school plus lots of Rugby :rolleyes:
Reply 99
BrightGirl
Also isn't a grammar school private? I thought grammar was like a less expensive version of private...:confused:

Grammar schools used to all be state schools but some were given the choice of becoming non-selective or going private: many chose the former. So now we have state and private grammar schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending