The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Best network in Loughborough (and is it worth getting a contract?)

I was thinking about looking into contracts before I go to uni if I'm texting a lot but I don't want to get with a network to find they have no coverage, so I was just wondering which networks to avoid and if it is worth getting a contract.

(I'm currently with O2 PAYG)
coverage in lough is good for all networks, although if you're not on the top floor of Robert Bakewell, you will only get signal by your windows. The design of the buildings is such that mobiles do not work :frown:

Skype is your friend.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
T-mobile = ****
Reply 3
Never had a problem getting coverage with Orange or o2 in Harry French
Reply 4
Typical, I would be in the worst building! Having said that I get O2 anywhere at the moment so hopefully my magic O2 phone will continue!

T-Mobile is rubbish where I live as well!

What about contracts? Worth it? (purely on the texting side)
I'm on o2 and get signal everywhere - including the union which loads of people seem to have a problem with.
Reply 6
Depends on your Pay as you go deal.

I got a great phone, unlimited texts and 200 minutes on Orange for £20 a month, compared to PAYG (No phone included) 500 texts a month + Credit for £15 a month
JaSPLuNK!
T-mobile = ****

:ditto: ...or partial ditto...

When I was in Bill Mo, I used to have to lean over my radiator and on the window to get a proper/continuous. Though when I was in towers, I had excellent coverage, being 17 floors off the ground! :biggrin:
What about 3?
I've always been on Vodafone, never had any issues with coverage anywhere in Lboro.

I'm on contract, £15 a month unlimited texts and 600mins. I believe if you get just a sim card you can get the same deal for £20, new handset and you're looking at a minimum £35 really.
Reply 10
I have 1200 mins, 1000 texts, unlimited web and a Samsung Pixon from O2 for 30/month (and never had signal issues when I was at uni with O2). That was a contract renewal though, so not sure if they'd do that for a switch from PAYG though...
Its always worth switching to a contract if your on PAYG.
Reply 12
O2 is fine, go contract, and do it by geting a 'clearence' deal from carphone warehouse.
- This is what ive done for the last 3-4years, and currently am paying £7 a month for 500min 500texts (down from £30 by redemtion).

Job done, Im not a phone person, but £7 a month is nothing.

Daniel
Reply 13
Wow! That is a fantastic deal! How do you get it? Just ask?
In new builds like ragman_wonder said, theyre basically built out of pre cast concrete, so the steel cages they use to make it act as faraday cages and block most of the signal. So everyone just rests their phones on the window ledge. If you get signal in the corridor of your phone is amazing... I think it varies by phone. My iPhone 2G was the worst, and Blackberry Bold and iPhone 3G are probably equal. They get quite good signal , and only cut out when im actually in the corridor rather than some mates its like 1 bar when on the window ledge. O2 by the way.
Hope this helps
And to is it worth getting a contract... I have had one since I was 13 so dont know any different. Pretty much everyone I know is on contract, so there must be some advantages. But the one person I can think of who I know is on payg has one of those sims that used to be called genie on O2 where you get 300 texts for £10 topup a month, 500 for £15 and 1000 (or maybe unlimited) for £30. If you dont topup within a month of the original topup, then the texts dont come until you topup, and you can still use the credit seperately for calls or internet oer whatever...
Has anything changed since this thread in 2009?
How is reception now in Robert Bakewell or Rigg Rut?
Best network coverage?
Contract or sim only?
Am coming from abroad so will have to start from scratch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending