The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
aw no I've messed up so much with stupid mistakes xD
ha, this has mootivates me to revise for biology i'm not going to get into stirling at this rate, and I only need BBBC :frown:
Reply 41
Pedrobear
Rhythmic ostinato

Aargh, I wrote broken chords :|

Willis Brightside
Also, see for the ornaments you just mentioned, did you need to write whether they were upper/lower/inverted?
And another thing - it's all coming back to me now, haha :smile:
Yeah, there was a question that asked you to describe the singing style, and I wrote recitative - I'm pretty sure it was recitative secco, but do you need to write secco as well?! :-/

I wrote upper mordent just to be safe but my teacher never said we needed to.
Also, what's a recitative secco?! I think my teacher mentioned it once... :confused:

Willis Brightside
I got sprechgesang for one of them as well, but I got recitative for one of the very first questions .. what about the first question about the time changes? I wrote irregular metres ... ? :smile:

I wrote rubato for this but my teacher wrote "rubato?/irregular metres?"

Also, for the time signature in the musical map, I wrote 3 4.
Irregular metres; phew :smile: !!

see the one where the tenor guy sang a kinda opera song, was it a madrigal, or not?
i didn't think it was, i was stuck between it & melisma, but there was only a few melismatic bits in it & the whole thing was sung in English, i'm pretty sure .. that's wrong, isn't it?!!
Reply 43
Willis Brightside

see the one where the tenor guy sang a kinda opera song, was it a madrigal, or not?
i didn't think it was, i was stuck between it & melisma, but there was only a few melismatic bits in it & the whole thing was sung in English, i'm pretty sure .. that's wrong, isn't it?!!

i put aria :/
C274

what's a recitative secco?! I think my teacher mentioned it once... :confused:

QUOTE]

Recitative secco's the half sung, half speech vocal writing with sparse chordal accompaniment? It's usually a harpshichord that plays the chords, it's a Baroque concept :smile:
I hope they take recitative though; that's all I wrote :smile: !!
Reply 45
Willis Brightside

I think so. Madrigals are in Latin aren't they?
obscurename
I think so. Madrigals are in Latin aren't they?

Ohhhhh... I thought madrigals were in English?!
Oh well :smile:
Reply 47
Willis Brightside

Just checked, I was wrong, they are in English :frown:
Willis Brightside

They are. Motets and masses are in latin.
obscurename
Just checked, I was wrong, they are in English :frown:

I wouldn't worry; you've not heard anything till you've heard this:
I've had the same teacher take me for listening for three years, and today she sat in the exam with the head and done the exam. The head had a look at her answers in private, shook her head and said that she didn't agree with a fair few of them.

Encouraging to know, eh?!
Reply 50
I got broken chords, irregular metres and aria for the answers in question.

Also, I can't remember the question number but it was asking about two contrasting styles of keyboard playing....what on earth was the first one? XD
Reply 51
kitkatcait
I got broken chords, irregular metres and aria for the answers in question.

Also, I can't remember the question number but it was asking about two contrasting styles of keyboard playing....what on earth was the first one? XD

Boogie-Woogie!
Reply 52
Man, I KNEW it
I was just too scared about writing 'boogie-woogie' in an exam paper and it being wrong XD
For the boogie-woogie thing, I think out of desperation during a mind blank, I wrote ragtime - how ridiculous!
Reply 54
Willis Brightside
For the boogie-woogie thing, I think out of desperation during a mind blank, I wrote ragtime - how ridiculous!

I thought it was ragtime as well. Had that 20s/30s feel to it.
Reply 55
I could tell it was boogie-woogie straight away. It was nearly the exact same as the excerpt on the learn listening online website
See the comparison question at the end, did you guys think it was quite difficult compared to past papers?
E.g. I thought the 2008 comparison question was piss-easy, but this year's? Quite a different story, haha :smile:

What common features did you all get? x
Reply 57
I said for both minor,obbligato, dotted rhythm and i cant remmber

for the first one I said sonata and I don't remember anymore haa
Reply 58
For 1st I put, minor, chaconne and pedal, for the second major, an guessed sonata. Rest were jsut guesses.
Reply 59
Ronar
i put aria :/

It was definitely an aria. It couldn't have been a madrigal because it was a baroque piece. I think. Well, I ticked basso continuo and so did my teacher...
I am thinking of the right question...right?

Willis Brightside

Wrote ragtime and changed it to boogie-woogie :biggrin:

As for concepts common to both...I got sonata, major tonality and something else which I can't remember. I had to do something ridiculous to make up the number of ticks...for the first excerpt, I did minor tonality and I thought it was major for like a bar, so I did major for both concepts. Meanwhile, while I had ticked suspension for excerpt 1 only, my teacher did it common to both.
Grid questions :mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending